• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

English Ringers, mate!

How do you view Aussies/Kiwis/South Africans who turn out for England?

• Traitors, pure & simple

Votes: 12 14.0%
  • Pros selling their trade for top dollar

Votes: 16 18.6%
  • Welcome converts to English cause

Votes: 29 33.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 29 33.7%

• Total voters

WindieWeathers

International Regular
The same way the West Indies stole Gordon Greenidge?
Have you seen the current England side? i'm surprised you even want to go there!!! :laugh: , bottom line is i think Chesney is a great prospect and seeing as he still actually lives in the Caribbean and has said his heart is with WI i'm not too worried, but it would disgust me if England were to somehow snatch him away from us, it wouldn't be right no matter how you dress it up, we're in desperate need of quality players as it is, the last thing we need right now is for other nations to nick our brightest ones,

Imo in Barath, Brathwaite, Kieran Powell, Darren Bravo and Chesney Hughes we're gonna have one hell of a top order in the next three years or so, and i simply can't wait to see them all play together.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Have you seen the current England side? i'm surprised you even want to go there!!! :laugh: , bottom line is i think Chesney is a great prospect and seeing as he still actually lives in the Caribbean and has said his heart is with WI i'm not too worried, but it would disgust me if England were to somehow snatch him away from us, it wouldn't be right no matter how you dress it up, we're in desperate need of quality players as it is, the last thing we need right now is for other nations to nick our brightest ones,

Imo in Barath, Brathwaite, Kieran Powell, Darren Bravo and Chesney Hughes we're gonna have one hell of a top order in the next three years or so, and i simply can't wait to see them all play together.
I'm almost certain he holds a UK passport and all his FC cricket has been played in England.

Nice to see you avoid the question though wrt Greenidge.

King Pietersen

International Captain
England don't abduct players and force them to play for England. Trott, Pietersen, Morgan and Kieswetter all chose to play for England; and if this lad ever turns out for England it'll be his choice to do so, it won't be because we poached or stole him.

superkingdave

Hall of Fame Member
He's a UK passport holder is he not?
Yeah but if he weren't eligible for England (which he wouldn't be if he played representative cricket for WI) then Derbyshire/whomever would take a financial hit through playing him. (I think at the moment less than 9 England qualified players in your side means less money from the ECB)

WindieWeathers

International Regular
I'm almost certain he holds a UK passport and all his FC cricket has been played in England.

Nice to see you avoid the question though wrt Greenidge.
Wasn't Greenidge born in Barbados?!! :unsure: yep it was "day light robbery" obviously!! :laugh: ,

And King Pieterson lets not pretend that the financial issue might not be used to encourage the lad to turn his back on us!!!, we all know it happens.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Wasn't Greenidge born in Barbados?!! :unsure: yep it was "day light robbery" obviously!! :laugh: ,

And King Pieterson lets not pretend that the financial issue might not be used to encourage the lad to turn his back on us!!!, we all know it happens.
Greenidge might have been born in Barbados but he grew up and learnt his cricket in England.

Not sure what financial issue you're talking about either. He'll stand to earn more money in England and playing for England - but that all depends on whether the lad has the talent to succeed in England. The ECB can make all the financial promises that they want, but at the end of the day the lad has to be good enough to merit selection.

flibbertyjibber

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Greenidge might have been born in Barbados but he grew up and learnt his cricket in England.

Not sure what financial issue you're talking about either. He'll stand to earn more money in England and playing for England - but that all depends on whether the lad has the talent to succeed in England. The ECB can make all the financial promises that they want, but at the end of the day the lad has to be good enough to merit selection.
If he'd stayed in the West Indies and been part of that Stanford 20/20 thing he might have earnt more there.Whatever happened to that?:laugh:

Woodster

International Captain
We'll he's born in the Caribbean and has represented West Indies u19's and Leewards already!!, in my book England would be blatantly stealing the young man!! 8-) , thankfully word has it he wants to play for us, but the form he's showing right now i'm certain England will cheekily test the waters!! :laugh: .
Tbf, if he turns into a very decent player, then I'm pretty sure he'll opt for England, if it looks like he'd struggle to penetrate the England side, there's always the West Indies option.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Yeah but if he weren't eligible for England (which he wouldn't be if he played representative cricket for WI) then Derbyshire/whomever would take a financial hit through playing him. (I think at the moment less than 9 England qualified players in your side means less money from the ECB)
Don't think he could be registered as non-overseas if he played for Windies or Windies A, UK passport or not. He can play in the Windies as an overseas player currently (as with the yarp Kolpaks) but if he were picked for a Windies rep team he'd have to make a decision.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Don't think he could be registered as non-overseas if he played for Windies or Windies A, UK passport or not. He can play in the Windies as an overseas player currently (as with the yarp Kolpaks) but if he were picked for a Windies rep team he'd have to make a decision.
I can't claim to know the ins and outs of the ECB's overseas regulations, but that sounds like the ECB would be treading on some dodgy legal ground if they denied a UK passport holder the chance to work in the UK.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
I can't claim to know the ins and outs of the ECB's overseas regulations, but that sounds like the ECB would be treading on some dodgy legal ground if they denied a UK passport holder the chance to work in the UK.
Been done several times, tbh. Symonds and Jaques (both British citizens) had to give up their UK domestic player status to remain available for Oz. Ditto Ryan Harris, although that was more because QLD didn't want to offer him an overseas contract.

Never been tested in a court of law tho, as far as I know.

Beamer

International Vice-Captain
Tbf, if he turns into a very decent player, then I'm pretty sure he'll opt for England, if it looks like he'd struggle to penetrate the England side, there's always the West Indies option.
I really hope you are saying that to wind up WindieWeathers.

Otherwise it is an incredibly arrogant thing to say and pretty much untrue. All you have to do is listen to an interview with the guy to realise he is a proud West Indian who has been given an opportunity in county cricket thanks to his country's protectorate status, just like Omari Banks and Lionel Baker before him.

L Trumper

State Regular
I really hope you are saying that to wind up WindieWeathers.

Otherwise it is an incredibly arrogant thing to say and pretty much untrue. All you have to do is listen to an interview with the guy to realise he is a proud West Indian who has been given an opportunity in county cricket thanks to his country's protectorate status, just like Omari Banks and Lionel Baker before him.
All the comments are directed at WW. He kinda stirred the pot. So everyone is having a go at him. Don't take them as an insult to WI or its fans.