• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

England is number 1 cuz they poached the best players from other countries not fair

cpr

International Coach
Whinging that Archer and Jordan should be playing for West Indies when the WICB is doing its level best to implode the sport in the islands in spectacular fashion is harsh on the players at best.

Zinzan

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Funny thread. Waiting for someone to post the great "England's everywhere" song.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Maybe other countries should be so nice to live in and then they'd be able to do the same
Which explains why the last australian to move to and play for England was Albert Trott.

Once Brexit goes through and England goes back to being the backwater it was pre-industrial revolution, all the blow ins will head back from whence they came

Last edited:

thierry henry

International Coach
Of course Stokes should be playing for NZ. But luckily he's a ****wit so I'm ok with it.

Actually come to think of it, has it ever really been a "thing" for players to live in one country but play for another? In other sports (football and rugby league spring to mind) it would be normal for Stokes to play for NZ, but doesn't really happen in cricket?

Last edited:

cpr

International Coach
Of course Stokes should be playing for NZ. But luckily he's a ****wit so I'm ok with it.

Actually come to think of it, has it ever really been a "thing" for players to live in one country but play for another? In other sports (football and rugby league spring to mind) it would be normal for Stokes to play for NZ, but doesn't really happen in cricket?

You do sort of see this Stokes method in football, there's a number of players who'll move countries at a young age and go on to represent their 'new' country. Raheem Sterling being one, Nathaniel Chalobah being another recent one too. There's been a few who have been in or around the team before reverting to their 'original' country (Zaha) where recognition is easier, but that's not a route cricket offers.

Whats considered the football/rugby method isn't really seen in cricket because location of playing makes far more of a difference. Kicking a ball in Englands not much different than in Spain or USA, but conditions between England and Australia are a massive change in playing style. If you want into a squad, playing in conditions that match their home fixtures really help.

Mind you, on the flip side there's been a fair few players over the years who's international career has revolved around their performances in another country - many because they happened to be there when a team is touring, but I'm sure there's been a few who have wintered in a specific country and found themselves selected for a tour based on how they are able to perform on those pitches.

thierry henry

International Coach
You do sort of see this Stokes method in football, there's a number of players who'll move countries at a young age and go on to represent their 'new' country. Raheem Sterling being one, Nathaniel Chalobah being another recent one too. There's been a few who have been in or around the team before reverting to their 'original' country (Zaha) where recognition is easier, but that's not a route cricket offers.

Whats considered the football/rugby method isn't really seen in cricket because location of playing makes far more of a difference. Kicking a ball in Englands not much different than in Spain or USA, but conditions between England and Australia are a massive change in playing style. If you want into a squad, playing in conditions that match their home fixtures really help.

Mind you, on the flip side there's been a fair few players over the years who's international career has revolved around their performances in another country - many because they happened to be there when a team is touring, but I'm sure there's been a few who have wintered in a specific country and found themselves selected for a tour based on how they are able to perform on those pitches.
This is getting way off topic and ultimately you can't stop players playing for whoever they prefer, as long as they qualify...but what really bothers me here is that the New Zealand rugby league team got decimated a couple of years ago by several first-choice players who were born and raised in NZ, choosing to play for Tonga. Tonga went into a world cup with almost an entire squad of players who had never lived in Tonga.

You get the same thing in Union and it's mostly the UK who whinge about it. Players born and raised in New Zealand who supposedly should be playing for Samoa/Tonga/Fiji on heritage grounds. NZ actually gets low-key accused of foul play for stacking their team with brown people from New Zealand.

I was really pissed about the Tonga thing but if I dared to suggest that maybe these guys should be playing for the country they were actually from, I was highly likely to be called racist. So basically, if you say a brown guy raised in New Zealand is really of some other nationality, you're racist. But if you say that they are really a New Zealander, you're also racist.

91Jmay

International Coach

Wouldn’t be particularly normal in football tbh. Stokes grew up over here, not that often people play for a country they didn’t grow up in in football unless they aren’t wanted.

mr_mister

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I don't take issue with much surrounding this whole thing but the amount of England's best bats in the 2000s who were South African as biltong was a complete joke