• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

England is number 1 cuz they poached the best players from other countries not fair

SpaceMonkey

International Debutant
I hate it that what could actually be an important discussion about the ability of Test nations who can pay their players more and and/or have higher standards of living and/or have less depth to compete with being able to actually recruit players to move over for cricketing reasons and qualify is always randomly hijacked by people suggesting that players who have only ever lived in the country they're playing for have somehow been poached because of their race or heritage. That's just a nonsense and basically tanks the whole debate. I think players like Archer and Wagner are genuine issues with the international game that could become worse if we don't tackle them properly now, but it's impossible to have a proper discussion about that when people want to talk about Moeen.
The problem is, Archer has a British passport and has every right to live in, and play for, England. To stop him doing so would open yourself up to legal action. There isn't much you can do about it.

cpr

International Coach
A dreadful OP, for reasons largely already given.

Your reference to the Currans is revealing. For one thing, Sam Curran isn't currently in the ODI team (he's hardly played, and averages 8 with bat and 45 with ball). But what I find interesting is that you say he was poached from SA whereas his brother Tom was poached from Zim. Surely by your logic these brothers should both have the same "true" nation, whichever that might be? By assigning them to different "true" national teams you're admitting that nationality and national allegiance is a blurred issue. People move from country to country, and have all sorts of multiple identities and allegiances, far more than was once the case.

England, and the UK, has always been a mongrel nation, comprised of immigrants and enriched by them at every turn. If players want to play for us rather than for someone else, I'm fine with that. If Renshaw wants to play for Oz, Wagner for SA, Tahir for SA, etc, I'm fine with that. Good luck to them.
Sam was actually born in Northampton, so no poaching there.

Just because he plays for Surrey you can't presume he's one of their SA castoff XI, that sort of thinking has already caused mischief :ph34r:

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
The problem is, Archer has a British passport and has every right to live in, and play for, England. To stop him doing so would open yourself up to legal action. There isn't much you can do about it.
There's no reason he couldn't live in England and play for the WI. Gordon Greenidge did something similar in the 70s iirc. But yeah, the point is correct. He can, of course, play for whomsoever he's qualified, subject to the relevant rules. Whether those rules are the right ones is a different issue.

The real question is why would he want to represent England over just about anywhere that isn't Inner Mongolia. I mean, I have a British passport by virtue of my paternal Marshfamilyage, but I'd rather have my eyes removed with a dessert spoon than play for the soap dodgers.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
You don't have a choice. I'm eligible and therefore able to be selected. Which I no doubt would be.

For what, I don't know. But I would be selected.

GoodAreasShane

Cricketer Of The Year
As far as I am aware, I would already be technically eligible to represent Lithuania should I so desire, even though I have never been and can barely speak any of the language.

I honestly wonder how my ****-tier club leggies would go in ICC WCL Division 426,883,127

Adders

Cricketer Of The Year
You don't have a choice. I'm eligible and therefore able to be selected. Which I no doubt would be.

For what, I don't know. But I would be selected.
Village idiot mate. Every town needs one so I'm sure you'd be selected somewhere.:ph34r:

LegionOfBrad

International Debutant
AFAICT (from checking online) it's his biological father who is English.
That's correct. His Stepfather is Bajan. His biological father is English and lives in Liverpool.

Fwiw in most other sports he could have played fro England from Birth. But quite understand the residency thing as you see what happens in Rugby Union where nearly every white southern hemisphere player has a British grandparent and you can get people coming off a plane and pulling on a shirt.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
eion morgan from ireland
jofra archer from west indies
adil rashid from pakistan
moeen ali from pakistan
ben stokes from new zealand
jason roy from south africa

also other current players
tom curran zimbabwe
sam curran south africa
chris jordan from west indies

and all the others

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_English_international_cricketers_born_outside_of_England

more foreigners than english players in this team
I’m stupider for having opened this thread.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
SS, if you were good at cricket and America were too, who would you play for? India or USA?