• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* IPL 2019

TheJediBrah

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I'm going back and forth on this. Definitely a dick move to pretend to bowl it and then run the batsman out when he leaves the crease after you should have bowled it. That's just common sense.

But then on the other side anything that reduces dodgy batsmen like Buttler backing up excessively is a good thing too I guess

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
Just reeks of laziness from Buttler, no sympathy for him.

Ashwin is the hero the IPL deserves.

weldone

Hall of Fame Member
You know what's against the 'spirit' of the game? It's non-strikers advancing a few inches every ball knowing the only 2 bad scenarios that can happen are:
1. Bowler giving him a harmless 'warning'
2. Bowler being portrayed as a villain after Mankading.

It's a win-win situation for batsmen.

BSM

U19 Cricketer
You know what's against the 'spirit' of the game? It's non-strikers advancing a few inches every ball knowing the only 2 bad scenarios that can happen are:
1. Bowler giving him a harmless 'warning'
2. Bowler being portrayed as a villain after Mankading.

It's a win-win situation for batsmen.
Problem is blaming the batsmen is illogical in this specific incident since Butler hadn't even advanced past the crease by the time that the ball would have been released. It's relevant in legitimate examples, but Ashwin literally had to wait for him to actually go past the line because conventionally he wasn't out.

Last edited:

weldone

Hall of Fame Member
So I suppose you have no beef with the underarm incident?
For both bodyline tactic and underarm bowling the rules were changed right after the first attempt. On the other hand, after numerous Mankad dismissals the rule has not been changed. This should indicate there's something right about this rule - batsmen can't gain unfair advantage of being a few inches ahead before the ball is bowled.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Not sure what's worse, the sly way that Ashwin went about this (which isn't within the laws) or the pathetic apologists for him.

weldone

Hall of Fame Member
Not sure what's worse, the sly way that Buttler went about this (which isn't within the laws) or the pathetic apologists for him.

SillyCowCorner1

Just when you thought that this thread was gonna die and go into obscurity, this happens.

This is Illuminati level diversion and worlings.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Not sure what's worse, the sly way that Buttler went about this (which isn't within the laws) or the pathetic apologists for him.
We have a 3rd option, the moronic posting of weldone. At the point at which Ashwin was expected to deliver the ball, Butler had done nothing wrong as he was still in the crease.

weldone

Hall of Fame Member
We have a 3rd option, the moronic posting of weldone. At the point at which Ashwin was expected to deliver the ball, Butler had done nothing wrong as he was still in the crease.
And a 4th option, marc's clueless posting who claims to know when Ashwin was about to bowl, as if we haven't seen Ashwin rushing through/slowing down his action over the years. Why can't Buttler watch Ashwin bowl?

Last edited:

Burgey

I'm going back and forth on this. Definitely a dick move to pretend to bowl it and then run the batsman out when he leaves the crease after you should have bowled it. That's just common sense.

But then on the other side anything that reduces dodgy batsmen like Buttler backing up excessively is a good thing too I guess
That would be a reasonable point if that was in fact what he was doing in this instance, but he wasn't.

flibbertyjibber

Not sure what's worse, the sly way that Ashwin went about this (which isn't within the laws) or the pathetic apologists for him.
They'll scream blue murder when some tosser does it to Kohli in an upcoming game as it is clearly fair play this IPL.

ajdude

International Coach
hey so the other thing is (i didn’t watch the match just going by the cricinfo commentary) was the over a 5 ball over in the end? it appears 12.5 was the mankad delivery but no actual 12.5 delivery was bowled; i was under the impression that ashwin would still have two deliveries to bowl in the over after it happened.

morgieb

Yeah this one seemed to be less "trying to steal a run" and more "lack of awareness". To me Ashwin's act wasn't on.

mr_mister

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Talking about hypothetical situations, are we now?
Why wouldn't it start to happen more often though? Butler was literally wandering a step out not preparing to sprint for a quick single.

Any time a bowler bowls now the batsman will have to wait til he sees the ball in midair halfway toward the striker before he can safely leave his crease. Unless of course we consider this unfair play which shouldn't happen again

Think about it dude

Last edited:

TheJediBrah

For both bodyline tactic and underarm bowling the rules were changed right after the first attempt. On the other hand, after numerous Mankad dismissals the rule has not been changed. This should indicate there's something right about this rule - batsmen can't gain unfair advantage of being a few inches ahead before the ball is bowled.
Funny you should say this, I was just thinking that it wouldn't surprise me if this incident leads to a rule change. Just like bowling underarm in that manner being illegal should have been common sense, mankading a batsman like this (pretending to bowl it and waiting for batsman to leave the crease) should be illegal.

This makes absolutely no sense