• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* IPL 2019

stephen

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Funny you should say this, I was just thinking that it wouldn't surprise me if this incident leads to a rule change. Just like bowling underarm in that manner being illegal should have been common sense, mankading a batsman like this (pretending to bowl it and waiting for batsman to leave the crease) should be illegal.
Nah, I disagree. Having played baseball as a junior I'm definitely of the opinion that running is a huge part of the job of the batsmen and they should pay attention to where the ball is at all times. It's laziness to not watch the bowler deliver the ball.

It sucks if you're the batter but it's a T20 game and the odds are already in your favour.

It's a bit different if this is done in a test match, but it's not, it's a game where your entire innings fits into an hour and a half. There's plenty of batsmen. This is a valid method of dismissal.

weldone

Hall of Fame Member
Any time a bowler bowls now the batsman will have to wait til he sees the ball in midair halfway toward the striker before he can safely leave his crease.
Not halfway, the batsman can leave his crease when the ball leaves the bowler's palm and travels 0.000000000000000000001 micrometer. Stop exaggerating.

weldone

Hall of Fame Member
Funny you should say this, I was just thinking that it wouldn't surprise me if this incident leads to a rule change. Just like bowling underarm in that manner being illegal should have been common sense, mankading a batsman like this (pretending to bowl it and waiting for batsman to leave the crease) should be illegal.
No it shouldn't. The batsman shouldn't leave his crease before the bowler bowls. Period. How hard is that? I'm sure I can do it, and so can you. Why can't Buttler do it? Does he need a coach to teach him how to watch the ball leave the bowler's hand before leaving the crease? It's much easier than the sixes he hits.

Last edited:

TheJediBrah

Request Your Custom Title Now!
No it shouldn't. The batsman shouldn't leave his crease before the bowler bowls. Period. How hard is that? I'm sure I can do it, and so can you. Why can't Buttler do it? Does he need a coach to teach him how to watch the ball leave the bowler's hand before leaving the crease? It's much easier than the sixes he hits.
I don't disagree but I doubt most batsmen watch until the ball leaves the hand tbh

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
Yeah this one seemed to be less "trying to steal a run" and more "lack of awareness". To me Ashwin's act wasn't on.
Don't see how that makes a difference. Taking advantage of rank stupidity is a time-honoured cricketing tradition. Really no different to a batsman realising that the captain has mucked up his fields by leaving an extra fielder outside the circle, keeping quiet about it and slogging a six safe in the knowledge that it'll be called a no-ball anyway.

Last edited:

mr_mister

Not halfway, the batsman can leave his crease when the ball leaves the bowler's palm and travels 0.000000000000000000001 micrometer. Stop exaggerating.
You think there's more than like a millisecond between our two examples? The ball travels fast. My point was a bowler shouldn't be allowed to fake a run up/bowling action

Daemon

Torn on this but either way Ashwin has, over the years, become an incredibly unlikeable player. The whole boasting about his 2016 T20 WC was pretty cringe. That’s he’d deliberately delay his action to fool the batsmen into taking an early start doesn’t make him look very good tbh.

Then again he’s trying to win and within the rules so eh. Dickhead yes, cheat no.

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
Why wouldn't it start to happen more often though? Butler was literally wandering a step out not preparing to sprint for a quick single.

Any time a bowler bowls now the batsman will have to wait til he sees the ball in midair halfway toward the striker before he can safely leave his crease. Unless of course we consider this unfair play which shouldn't happen again

Think about it dude
So what?

Daemon

You think there's more than like a millisecond between our two examples? The ball travels fast. My point was a bowler shouldn't be allowed to fake a run up/bowling action
Of course he should be allowed. Just not to effect a mankad.

TheJediBrah

That would be a reasonable point if that was in fact what he was doing in this instance, but he wasn't.
No it is still a reasonable point because it would make batsmen in the future more hesitant to try it, even if in this instance Buttler wasn't doing it

Spark

Global Moderator
I don't understand how this wasn't dead ball as soon as Ashwin stopped. I'm pro-mankad, but this seems like a completely incorrect application of the laws?

mr_mister

Look I just don't want bowlers trying what Ashwin did every third ball. The fact that was considered a legal dismissal is problematic

Burgey

No it is still a reasonable point because it would make batsmen in the future more hesitant to try it, even if in this instance Buttler wasn't doing it
That's absurd. You don't round up some innocent random walking out of a 7-11 on the basis that doing so will be a deterrent to people knocking over a convenience store. The bloke was doing anything but stealing a march on backing up.

Maybe Ashwin couldn't see straight.

Spark

Global Moderator
Yeah if that's the logical result of the law as written then the law is idiotic and should be changed. The laws should reflect how the game has been played for decades at every level from Tests to U11 third XI cricket and place reasonable bounds on them, not try to place arbitrary rigidity where it's totally unnecessary.

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
I thought mankading was meant to stop people taking the piss with backing up. Not to literally outlaw backing up
This doesn't do that though. Players can still back-up: they can stand outside their crease, and walk in with the bowler. They just need to make sure they keep their bat inside the crease until the ball is bowled. If they don't (or if they get lazy and don't bother paying attention to what the bowler is doing a la Buttler), then they run the risk of getting run-out. Personally I have absolutely no problem with that.

mr_mister

Get lazy? Isn't what butler did what 99% of non strikers do? Are there non strikers who watch the ball out of the hand?

Spark

Global Moderator
This doesn't do that though. Players can still back-up: they can stand outside their crease, and walk in with the bowler. They just need to make sure they keep their bat inside the crease until the ball is bowled. If they don't (or if they get lazy and don't bother paying attention to what the bowler is doing a la Buttler), then they run the risk of getting run-out. Personally I have absolutely no problem with that.
I kind of agree but at the same time I think the bowler has to attempt a run out immediately if it's going to be considered a legitimate dismissal, as in they actually have to see the batsman being out of the crease. They can't wait until the batsman is out of the crease and then run him out. That goes from "policing the batsman getting an unfair advantage" into "exploiting an unintended loophole in the rules to get a cheap wicket" IMO. There is no way, given what we know about the intention of the law changes in this area, that this was how it was meant to be adjudicated.

As soon as Ashwin paused, the ball should be considered dead.

Get lazy? Isn't what butler did what 99% of non strikers do? Are there non strikers who watch the ball out of the hand?
Plenty do but not all. It's certainly not something I've ever been heard of being drilled into young batsmen wrt not getting mankaded.

Last edited: