• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* IPL 2019

thierry henry

International Coach
I'm surprised how many people think that backing-up conventions are purely that - conventions - rather than being tied to fundamental principles of the game.

If you go wandering out of your crease and the bowler hasn't bowled the ball yet, you've put yourself at risk of being run out. It's basically the same principle as applies for run outs or stumpings.

A lot of people seem to think it's all a gentleman's agreement but for me, I can't see how it's any different to any other part of the game where the taking of a liberty by the batsman puts him at risk, and if he does not take the liberty, he is not at risk?

Spark

Global Moderator
I don't think there are any other analogies that really work for this IMO. It's a really weird instance.

TheJediBrah

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I'm surprised how many people think that backing-up conventions are purely that - conventions - rather than being tied to fundamental principles of the game.

If you go wandering out of your crease and the bowler hasn't bowled the ball yet
, you've put yourself at risk of being run out. It's basically the same principle as applies for run outs or stumpings.

A lot of people seem to think it's all a gentleman's agreement but for me, I can't see how it's any different to any other part of the game where the taking of a liberty by the batsman puts him at risk, and if he does not take the liberty, he is not at risk?
But what if you thought the ball had been bowled, ey?

CricAddict

Cricketer Of The Year
They'll scream blue murder when some tosser does it to Kohli in an upcoming game as it is clearly fair play this IPL.
This is true. If the same thing happened in reverse, say Sam Curran mankading Kohli, he would have lost his contract for next year with everyone up in arms. I hope it happens.

TheJediBrah

That's absurd.
No it's not, it's common sense, and 100% correct. If you arrest people for throwing chewing gum on the ground, who never threw chewing gum on the ground, then you'd better believe less people are going to throw chewing gum on the ground.

That's absurd. You don't round up some innocent random walking out of a 7-11 on the basis that doing so will be a deterrent to people knocking over a convenience store. The bloke was doing anything but stealing a march on backing up.

Maybe Ashwin couldn't see straight.
all well and good but nothing to do with what I said. I didn't say it was the right thing to do, just that it would have a certain effect.

Last edited:

CricAddict

Cricketer Of The Year
I am in general ok with mankading if it is fair enough, ie if the non-striker always wanders too much out of the crease even before the ball is bowled. But in this delivery,

1. Ashwin paused
2. Buttler wasn't out of the crease too much

which makes it very bad.

TheJediBrah

I am in general ok with mankading if it is fair enough, ie if the non-striker always wanders too much out of the crease even before the ball is bowled. But in this delivery,

1. Ashwin paused

which makes it very bad.
yeah it's really not that hard to understand. You can argue about whether it was within the rules or not, but you can't really argue that it wasn't very poor sportsmanship.

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
It negatively impacts cricket. This is an unnecessary additional thought process that a batsman has to do every ball, while he should be concentrating more on field positions, strike-rate planning etc.
I disagree. The batsman has plenty of time to focus on field positions between balls. And tbh, making sure your bat is grounded until the ball is ****ing bowled shouldn't be a particularly taxing thought process.

Basically, if you've got a neck, a pair of eyes and a brain, you should probably use them.

TheJediBrah

I disagree. The batsman has plenty of time to focus on field positions between balls. And tbh, making sure your bat is grounded until the ball is ****ing bowled shouldn't be a particularly taxing thought process.

Basically, if you've got a neck, a pair of eyes and a brain, you should probably use them.
The ball travels quite quickly. Might not be particularly safe to be having to watch the bowler's hand right until the ball is literally bowled then whip around to watch play if the ball gets hit right back at your face. Batsmen sometimes struggle to get out of the way of a powerfully-hit drive at the non-strikers end as it is.

Be awkward if someone gets seriously injured or killed because we want them to watch the bowlers hand the whole way for no actual reason.

stephen

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
The ball travels quite quickly. Might not be particularly safe to be having to watch the bowler's hand right until the ball is literally bowled then whip around to watch play if the ball gets hit right back at your face. Batsmen sometimes struggle to get out of the way of a powerfully-hit drive at the non-strikers end as it is.

Be awkward if someone gets seriously injured or killed because we want them to watch the bowlers hand the whole way for no actual reason.
They should honestly stand a bit wider and use their peripheral vision if they're afraid of that.

The umpire has to look at the foot of the bowler and then up to see the trajectory of the ball every single time the ball is bowled. The non-striker can reasonably be expected to do the same.

mr_mister

Even Ashwin knew it was kinda stupid. Could see it in his eyes. All the grandstanding after by him was a defense mechanism

aussie tragic

International Captain
Disgusting act by Ashwin and terrible umpiring to give it out. If Ashwin had actually delivered the ball, butler was still in his crease.*

How can you pretend to bowl, turn, wait until Butler leaves his crease and then walk back to the stumps to remove bails.

Ashwin is a cheat.

Spark

Global Moderator

1. Ashwin paused

which makes it very bad.
Yeah this is where I am too. Whether this is technically legal or not is kind of besides the point for me, and I'm not interested in excoriating Ashwin for doing this; it's somewhat insane to me that this isn't just obviously dead ball. This needs fixing.

Last edited:

Borges

International Regular
Might not be particularly safe to be having to watch the bowler's hand right until the ball is literally bowled then whip around ...
It is very safe if you keep it simple: look straight ahead, and keep your bat grounded till you start seeing the ball.

stephen

OK I just watched the footage and Buttler deserved to get run out that way. Ashwin hadn't even started his bowling action and Buttler wasn't watching and was out of his crease. It was extremely poor match awareness by Buttler. He wasn't paying attention to the one thing he's supposed to pay attention to as the non striker. The amount of time that Ashwin had to perform the run out was incredible. There should be nothing controversial about a batsman getting out due to their own stupidity.

stephen

Yeah this is where I am too. Whether this is technically legal or not is kind of besides the point for me, and I'm not interested in excoriating Ashwin for doing this; it's somewhat insane to me that this isn't just obviously dead ball. This needs fixing.
The law was amended recently to say that you could only mankad someone if you haven't started your action. Ashwin saw that Buttler wasn't looking and took advantage of that within the rules.