• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** West Indies in New Zealand 2017

Flem274*

123/5
Seems like a Kiwi version of Chris Woakes. Lots of nice attributes but nothing truly amazing that sorts him from the chaff, and therefore needs to be in really good form to be a threat at international level.
im sure this is almost a word for word pews post lol

anyway he's another who went downhill once bond departed. also went through a weird phase of trying to bang it in back of a length to turn himself into a third seamer. didn't work very well.

Moss

International Vice-Captain
Geroge Worker in the squad? Had no idea he was in the reckoning as a test player though his stats this season so far have been good.

NZTailender

I can't believe I ate the whole thing

anyway he's another who went downhill once bond departed. also went through a weird phase of trying to bang it in back of a length to turn himself into a third seamer. didn't work very well.
Yeah he's never really going to succeed in that role unfortunately. Whilst the selectors continue to obsess over Southee I don't think well ever see the best of Henry.

Moss

International Vice-Captain
Henry was pretty good in the third test against South Africa wasn't he? Filled the new ball role in the absence of both Southee and Boult from memory. Would hope he has first dibs on Southee's spot for this game though it must be tempting to go with Ferguson on current form.

Kippax

Cricketer Of The Year

Cribb will be delighted to watch Nicholls' slashing of short balls over the slips on two quick pitches (by NZ standards). I'll take Taylor as well.

Kippax

Cricketer Of The Year

I sort of rate Gabriel to take some wickets by bouncing us out, a bit like Chameera did in 2015. It'll help if my prediction of fast pitches is accurate here.

Howsie

International Captain
Okay, what the hell is going on here, George Worker is now a test cricketer according to these ****tards. The same George Worker who averages 20 odd with the bat in first class cricket, the same George Worker who can’t play the short ball to ****ing save his life. Oh yeah he’s going to go succeed at the test level, nice work Gav and Mike, great selections as always.

****ing muppets. He might have a change of replacing either Rob Nicol or Peter Ingram as the worst NZ test bat I’ve seen this century. Holy **** what a time to be alive.

Kippax

Cricketer Of The Year
Yep likewise. On two Patumahoe pitches in a row though, crazy amounts of sun over here baking them both, I refuse to be shaken off the Gabriel train at the wrong time. You can consider the Gabriel upside to be imminent.

Meridio

International Regular
Mike Hesson said:
Anyone who's performing in domestic cricket is in the mix. I saw the Central Districts game against Otago and had a close up look at a number of players and Jesse played that game. Certainly he's not fully fit at the moment from a mobility point of view, so that would need to improve
Got to say I enjoyed this quote from Hesson re. Ryder (from https://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/cricket/99352142/mike-hesson-ben-stokes-playing-for-canterbury-good-from-a-cricket-point-of-view). Can't call him fat and lazy, so we'll go with 'not fully fit from a mobility point of view'. And hell, it's Jesse Ryder, if you think he's suddenly going to turn into a fitness fanatic at age 33 or whatever he is you haven't been paying attention.

Re. Henry/Ferguson, think I agree with the general consensus here - go with Ferguson. He's clearly bowling the best he ever has, seems like he's improved his fitness to the point where his second/third spells aren't 10 km/h slower, and is getting the ball to pop off a length. Might be harsh on Henry given he was in the original squad but first and foremost you pick the team that you think is best to win you the game and that means Ferguson.

Also, where has Worker come from? Haven't seen his name in any squad lists or anything except in Kippax's batting odds above.

Last edited:

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year

Nah, he's definitely at his best pitching it up - unfortunately he would've reasoned that he wasn't going to earn a spot that way, given the ND boys have the new ball and with the increasing amount of flat pitches being played on, that's not a role that gives you any sustainability in the Test side. He obviously tried to become Doug and hit a length, which isn't him. He showed in his last Test at Hamilton how he can be Test quality with a new ball when given the ability to pitch it up.

Can't see a way back in the Test side though, when Tim/Trent/Wags are fit and Colin does the 4th seamer job in the right conditions. And now that Lockie is in such fine form and is going to be picked on Friday, you'd think.

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
Got to say I enjoyed this quote from Hesson re. Ryder (from https://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/cricket/99352142/mike-hesson-ben-stokes-playing-for-canterbury-good-from-a-cricket-point-of-view). Can't call him fat and lazy, so we'll go with 'not fully fit from a mobility point of view'. And hell, it's Jesse Ryder, if you think he's suddenly going to turn into a fitness fanatic at age 33 or whatever he is you haven't been paying attention.

Re. Henry/Ferguson, think I agree with the general consensus here - go with Ferguson. He's clearly bowling the best he ever has, seems like he's improved his fitness to the point where his second/third spells aren't 10 km/h slower, and is getting the ball to pop off a length. Might be harsh on Henry given he was in the original squad but first and foremost you pick the team that you think is best to win you the game and that means Ferguson.

Also, where has Worker come from? Haven't seen his name in any squad lists or anything except in Kippax's batting odds above.
Not fully fit from a mobility point of view :laugh: Like when the Mrs asks if she looks fat in her dress, you say no - just not looking fully fit from a shape point of view. Brilliant.

Worker, weird one. No NZ A runs at all.

NZTailender

I can't believe I ate the whole thing
Where would Worker even bat? Is Raval under threat? Or Nicholls? Or are they going to drop Santner and bat deep hoping Worker will bowl some part timers? Such a weird selection.

Kippax

Cricketer Of The Year
Where would Worker even bat? Is Raval under threat? Or Nicholls? Or are they going to drop Santner and bat deep hoping Worker will bowl some part timers? Such a weird selection.
He's just injury cover, it seems to me. Say Taylor tweaked a hamstring in warm-ups, suddenly Hesson would have to field some kind of Nicholls at 4, Santner 5, Blundell 6 craziness.

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
You would've thought if they wanted injury cover they would've gone with Munro or Guptill though. Just weird.

Kippax

Cricketer Of The Year
NZC would prefer not to dent the esteem of its precious white ball stars in that manner. George Worker is a thrifty and utilitarian agribusinessman's dream. They even like his bowling a little bit, much to everyone's chagrin.