• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Alastair Cook steps down as England captain

morgieb

Request Your Custom Title Now!
He's done allright in the BBL tbf.

Indescribably petty to tweet that out though. Can't wait for Piers' tweets.
KP = master troll. I think he even knows (and is satisfied) with him not playing for England again but loves the attention and the feeling of being wronged.

dontcloseyoureyes

BARNES OUT
Joe Root once dropped a catch in warmups at Manuka Oval because a friend and I mercilessly sledged him in the process of it. He then got big bully Carberry to tell us to shush. He is not captaincy material tbh.

fredfertang

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Joe Root once dropped a catch in warmups at Manuka Oval because a friend and I mercilessly sledged him in the process of it. He then got big bully Carberry to tell us to shush. He is not captaincy material tbh.
Bet you shushed though - I don't think Carbs is a man to annoy

Watson33

U19 12th Man
I'm very worried for this England team now. Root already carried the strain of the entire side with the bat, now he has to carry the mental strain of captaincy.

91Jmay

International Coach
Not a great captain, probably not even a good one but he also captained some very very ordinary sides. Great batsmen still, hope he can keep his place in the side as a bat for a number more years.

91Jmay

International Coach
So you sledged a puss bag like Root and **** your pants in the face of Carbs. Not sure that story paints you in quite the light you think it does.

Adders

Cricketer Of The Year
Yeah, I'd have kept that story to myself DCYE.......really not something to be bragging about.

Certainly been some some ups and downs under Captain Cook, but I'll always look back on him fondly as an England skipper. Not really surprised to hear the news, think we all knew it was coming.......let's just hope that free from the burdens of captaincy we can get a few good years out of him in god mode with the bat.

Pothas

His win in India is up there with the best achievements of any England captain, plenty of lows as well of course but he never deserved some of the vitriol that came his way.

fredfertang

His win in India is up there with the best achievements of any England captain, plenty of lows as well of course but he never deserved some of the vitriol that came his way.
With two Ashes series as well (and one in the middle that didn't really happen anyway) he has much to be proud of

BoyBrumby

Englishman
I don't think he'll be remembered in the top echelons of England captains, but he was a safe pair of hands and the series wins in India and South Africa were both pretty special. His crowning moment though was probably regaining the urn after the 5-0 drubbing down under. That he kept the captaincy after an Ashes whitewash speaks volumes for the paucity of other options currently.

Thoroughly decent chap and hopefully has plenty more runs to make for the test side.

burr

State Vice-Captain
So...English test captain or replacement member of One Direction. Looks like the former Joe. Don't worry, I'm sure you and Virat can discuss hairstyling next time you cross paths.

Tom Flint

International Regular
Surely this is cook basically committing himself to the team for the next 2/3 years. Imagine he has another one of his freak years in 2017 he could actually start to think about sachin's record lol

Stace

First Class Debutant
Obviously wanted to avoid the South Africa jinx.
Will be interesting to see how Root handles it. If anything I think the extra responsibility might give him the kick up the arse he needs to stop throwing away big scores.
He single handily broke it himself by making their captain quit, now the jinx is going the other way beware FAF beware.