• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

downhill skiing and FTBs

BoyBrumby

Englishman
I think Lord Ravinder of Bopara is the archetypal example.

Three tons in the West Indies on decks as docile as a rag doll cat on roofies and then scores about a quarter of a run in four tests versus the Australians.

Bijed

International Regular

Three tons in the West Indies on decks as docile as a rag doll cat on roofies and then scores about a quarter of a run in four tests versus the Australians.
I don't want to commit the fallacy of assuming the pitch was difficult based on no-one else really making big runs, but in the context of what else was happening in the match Ravi's 143 looks pretty good.

Agree for his other 2 tons and with your general assessment of him though.

Edit: Agree with Howe that it's more the quality of the attack than the pitches with him and I know the WI attack in the match I linked wasn't terribly fearsome, but he still made runs when the rest of the top order weren't so I reckon he still deserves a fair bit of credit for that innings.

Last edited:

Howe_zat

Audio File

He's less to do with surfaces and more to do with a ****e attack I think.

Bopara's piece de resistance (200 off 130 balls v Leics) was scored at Grace Road, traditionally very seam friendly, but against the mighty attack of Dillon du Preez, Garnet Kruger, Nadeem Malik, Claude Henderson and and Jim Allenby.

Compton

International Debutant
Too much emphasis is given to how many of the runs scored were in friendly conditions when analysing how good a player is, IMO.

Runs being easier to score in certain conditions doesn't automatically put 600 on the board, and if someone has a higher average than someone else you can't say "yeah but they scored all those runs against a poor attack on a road" because everyone that plays test cricket (broadly speaking) has the same opportunities against poor attacks on roads. Scoring all your runs in difficult conditions and having a similar average just means you can't cash in when the going is good; which is no better.

It's the same as criticising footballers that only score against the easier opponents; it's important to consider that when you're preparing for the big match, but it's not the be-all and end-all; someone has to bury the smaller teams when conditions suit.

Noah

School Boy/Girl Captain
Yeah, the flat track bully label seems a bit like the notion of 'clutch' players in other sports. It definitely exists but its prone to some pretty revisionist assessments of players' performances.

Shady Slim

International Coach
nathan lyon is an actual flat track bully as a bowler

fricker gets all his wickets on flat tracks then looks impotent on turners lol

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Man, Warner coming out to bat with a 100+ run lead is probably the worst situation you can be in as a bowling side.

Blocky

Banned
Warner is often the reason they have a 100+ run lead though. It's not surprising at all to me that the series he struggles in are the series that Australia lose. He's arguably as important to them as Starc is.

Compton

International Debutant
When Warner gets in he must be so demoralising to the fielding side.

Get all amped for the game, pumped, ready to do some damage with the new ball; Warner hits a run-a-ball ton before lunch :laugh:

Victor Ian

International Coach
Warner is often the reason they have a 100+ run lead though. It's not surprising at all to me that the series he struggles in are the series that Australia lose. He's arguably as important to them as Starc is.
Sometimes... More often though it is Steve Smith and his amazing scores-hundreds-in-the-first-innings is the reason Warner gets to come in with a 100 run lead.

Furball

Evil Scotsman

Bopara only played one Test in the West Indies, two of his tons against them came in England.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Bopara only played one Test in the West Indies, two of his tons against them came in England.
The memory grows faint with the passing of the years.

Anyway, my point stands; Ravi cashed in against weaker oppo and **** the bed when the big boys rolled in.