• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

downhill skiing and FTBs

Shady Slim

International Coach
in light of the recent mud slinging fest in the fab four (i hate them term) thread, thought it would be interesting to have a greater discussion on all the downhill skiing and flat track bully batsmen in world cricket right now

my picks for flat track bullies are david warner and, excepting tonning against a sticky situation against WI on debut there's voges too

warner also gets my award for downhill skiing (he scores a lot of third and fourth innings tons when australia are up by 500 iirc), but i have to give a special mention to voges again excluding that ton and ross taylor in zimbabwe

i suppose it's also of the essence to discuss the same with bowlers too

Blocky

Banned
Ross Taylor, absolutely.
It's funny how you can put Warner and Voges there but not Smith and Khawaja.
Angelo Matthews comes to mind.
Younus Khan.

Bowlers,

Ashin, Jadeja, Herath, Southee, Boult, Anderson, Shah

Last edited:

Gnske

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
in light of the recent mud slinging fest in the fab four (i hate them term) thread, thought it would be interesting to have a greater discussion on all the downhill skiing and flat track bully batsmen in world cricket right now

my picks for flat track bullies are david warner and, excepting tonning against a sticky situation against WI on debut there's voges too

warner also gets my award for downhill skiing (he scores a lot of third and fourth innings tons when australia are up by 500 iirc), but i have to give a special mention to voges again excluding that ton and ross taylor in zimbabwe

i suppose it's also of the essence to discuss the same with bowlers too
You did this just to reel him in didn't you

OverratedSanity

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Ross Taylor, absolutely.
It's funny how you can put Warner and Voges there but not Smith and Khawaja.
Angelo Matthews comes to mind.
Younus Khan.

Bowlers,

Ashin, Jadeja, Herath, Southee, Boult, Anderson, Shah
Awesome list. I'd like you to explain why for Angelo, Younis, Ashwin, Jadeja and herath.

TNT

Banned
If you take out Warners flat track scores he would probably only average 10, what a useless batsman, wouldent even make the Irish second 11.

Shady Slim

International Coach
You did this just to reel him in didn't you
the comments in the big four (as i from now on will call the, steve smith and joe root are not fab) thread got me thinking and i just happen to hold opinions that disagree in part with blocky, i am a **** bloke but not a troll

khawaja probably a decent shout but i love my uzzie

think younis is more of a home track bully than a flat track bully but he does have that absurd chase in sri lanka where he and shan masood put together a million against an admittedly pedestrian attack

people say that blocky's done nothing reportable so stays but surely disparaging comments about his roundness are worth a six year ban, i think some of the best retorts to questions over his roundness are his record in his last australia tour since here is where visiting spinners die

vcs

Only Voges really qualifies to me as a noticeable downhill skiier, because the discrepancy between 542 and the rest is just way too big. Ross Taylor in the last few years is also a good example.

Bowling wise, can't really think of anyone. Is it even a bad thing to be a good downhill skiier as a bowler?

vcs

If you're referring to 2012 England and Aus series actually, that's a fair comment about AB, because excluding his 2nd innings blockfest in Adelaide, mostly it was Amla, and Kallis and Smith, to a lesser extent, doing the heavy lifting on those occasions.

The England series this year was the only occasion where there were high expectations on AB and he failed to step up.

Spark

Global Moderator
If you're referring to 2012 England and Aus series actually, that's a fair comment about AB, because excluding his 2nd innings blockfest in Adelaide, mostly it was Amla, and Kallis and Smith, to a lesser extent, doing the heavy lifting on those occasions.

The England series this year was the only occasion where there were high expectations on AB and he failed to step up.
I'm referring to that whole period actually but culminating in those two series yes. This is the period I'm talking about. To be fair though he's mostly erased those concerns since (esp with the way he played Johnson when literally no one else could) and I'm just having a lend of Jono.

Spark

Global Moderator
lmao I remember virtually nothing about any of those tons.
Neither. there's a bunch of really facile 70*(50) scores in there too, I think. Cribb and I used to talk about them a lot.

EDIT: No, those must have been from another time, I just checked.

Last edited:

vcs

He had a habit of cashing in a lot against WI and Pak, which, let's face it, no one really bothers about.

TheJediBrah

For bowlers, Ashwin & Jadeja obviously. I'd throw Jimmy Anderson in there as well for his work over the years.

can't think of anyone else

Spark

Global Moderator
For bowlers, Ashwin & Jadeja obviously. I'd throw Jimmy Anderson in there as well for his work over the years.

can't think of anyone else
Anderson is super harsh IMO.

Lyon is sort of a reverse-FTB, does well when you think he should be getting nothing, does ****-all where he ought to be favoured.

TheJediBrah

Anderson is super harsh IMO.

Lyon is sort of a reverse-FTB, does well when you think he should be getting nothing, does ****-all where he ought to be favoured.
Just comparing him in swinging conditions to non-swinging conditions. He seems to go missing unless he gets help from conditions, whereas Broad can be useful anywhere