• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Test cricket

StephenZA

Hall of Fame Member
Bingo. Think you're getting it now. So perhaps when staging rare Test matches in August; 1) Schedule them in the venues least likely to rain & 2) & most importantly.... Don't schedule it at a ground with newly laid turf in which one night of heavy rain makes it unplayable for 3 days following.
It is historically less likely to rain in Durban this time of the year than in just about anywhere else in SA, ávg 4 days in the month of August , with a total of approximately 40-60mm. It received that amount of rain in a day and a half... it has been unseasonable weather (not an uncommon occurrence atm). Scheduling originally was not the problem.... it was when the CSA realized there could be a problem about a month ago that they should have tried rescheduling it.

Black_Warrior

Cricketer Of The Year
No, don't have them in August is my point. **** the IPL off. August is the dry season in Durban, isn't it?

Look, at the end of the day, losing such a huge amount of time because the grounds are wet is a ****ing infinitesimally small deal for test cricket. It hardly ever happens. The fact it's happened twice simultaneously is a very unhappy coincidence, I grant you. Jono is only upset about it because his side had a shot at being number one and it cost them. Otherwise he wouldn't care. He's more interested in the Hyderabad Ninja Turtles or whatever the **** they're called.

Why NZ fans are so upset is more of a mystery. It's past your bed times when this test would have been played anyway, and as I said, it saved you a rodgering of epic proportions. Be happy.
:laugh::laugh:

Hey burgey, serious question
What do you enjoy more?
1) Trolling India fans
2) Trolling NZ fans

StephenZA

Hall of Fame Member
Oh.. and on the actual topic. No test match cricket is not dead. There is still much to get excited about and enjoy, and I personally think while it does not have the hit and giggle appeal of T20 it still remains stable with viewers, never going to appeal en mass, but I doubt it ever did. But it still attracts viewers.

The only real problem with test cricket is the **** boards (just about all of them) that between their extreme self interest and archaic thinking keep causing more problems than they solve...

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
:laugh::laugh:

Hey burgey, serious question
What do you enjoy more?
1) Trolling India fans
2) Trolling NZ fans
You need to refer to my definitive guide to cricket fan trolling which was posted today in the ***Official NZ Washed Out In SA*** tour thread.

Burgey

I mean they didn't even have covers for the outfield. How **** is that.
Maybe their grounds aren't postage stamps they don't make covers that size.

Itbt I've often wondered why they don't cover the whole grounds out here as well these days.

Zinzan

What's grinding burgers gears, seems feisty today

Probably just a realisation that his troll-jokes just aren't quite as witty as they once were might be eating away at the old fella. Not that he still doesn't make the odd goody now and then.

I think aussie whitewash to little lankans has taken its toll on bergs
And this certainly would not have helped.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
What's worse is losing 10 overs worth of play on day 1 at the Oval for no reason. Something that is actually cricket's fault.

AndyZaltzHair

Hall of Fame Member
Dear scientists,

Invent something like thats going to cover the whole field and will not affect the ground at all after rain. Play can resume as soon as the rain stops.

Regards,
Cricket fan

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Dear scientists,

Invent something like thats going to cover the whole field and will not affect the ground at all after rain. Play can resume as soon as the rain stops.

Regards,
Cricket fan
Dear cricket fan,

It's called a roof.

Yours truly,
Scientists since 40,000 BC

DriveClub

International Regular
Dear scientists,

Regards,
Cricket fan
Don't we have covers already? Nobody seems to use them though

OverratedSanity

They have no excuses for not using covers. If a 15x15 piece of cloth is too expensive for them then they're probably cheap bastards.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Oh.. and on the actual topic. No test match cricket is not dead. There is still much to get excited about and enjoy, and I personally think while it does not have the hit and giggle appeal of T20 it still remains stable with viewers, never going to appeal en mass, but I doubt it ever did. But it still attracts viewers.
I never said its dead, nor did I compare it to T20.

Its just embarrassing 50-60% of the time. You have to deal with all sorts of farces every series to finally hit the gem that is an eng vs. pak series. Its annoying and inconsistently run.