• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Can Ashwin beat Murali's 800?

Bolo

State Captain
Ashwin and Warne are both spin bowlers. Also, Ashwin's average is closer to Warne's than to Anderson's. I'm not suggesting that Ashwin has already surpassed Anderson and deserves comparison with Warne or Pollock. I'm saying he may deserve comparison with Warne/Pollock when he finishes. There's a long way to go yet - even if not close to 800 wickets.
He's played 22 away tests only. Difficult to compare him to any major wicket takers. I'm not too sure anything will change though in the future. He's already being dropped for some away tests having failed badly in all the countries he's played that arent spin friendly. Plus india's pace attack just keeps improving. I think he will probably finish up as one of the greatest home track bullies ever, but difficult to assess as a complete player.

smash84

The Tiger King
He's played 22 away tests only. Difficult to compare him to any major wicket takers. I'm not too sure anything will change though in the future. He's already being dropped for some away tests having failed badly in all the countries he's played that arent spin friendly. Plus india's pace attack just keeps improving. I think he will probably finish up as one of the greatest home track bullies ever, but difficult to assess as a complete player.
That sounds low. Any idea how many tests India have played away during that time?

Bolo

State Captain
IDK. He's played 35 home and 22 away. Sounds about right considering India's infinite home season and the fact that he missed out on a couple in England and RSA.

Migara

Cricketer Of The Year
What I find perplexing is why Ashwin bats ahead of jadeda, who has scored triple hundreds in FCC.

weldone

Hall of Fame Member
Ashwin is better batsman in 5-day cricket, Jadeja is better slog-overs run-getter in Limited Overs cricket.

flibbertyjibber

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Ashwin averages more than Jadeja as well. I am a Jadeja fan but think it is fair that Ash bats above Jaddu now.
Jadeja is great in his role of dangerous hitter in the lower order but Ashwin is a better player who can bat for a longer time with the proper bat at the other end. It works well them coming in where they do, it isn't broke so why fix it?

stephen

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Very close in tests, In ODIs Murali was far ahead. Saqlain infact was a better ODi spinner than Warne. Even Brad Hogg was very close to Warne with his performance.
I'm not convinced. Warne was brilliant on Australia's glass tracks. Murali disappointed every time he played on those same tracks.

The main difference between Warne and Murali stats-wise is Murali's longevity. Warne had the skill to keep playing another 5 years but retired young for reasons (probably was sad he didn't have enough time to bed all the women he wanted to bed).

Warne was an absolute gun ODI bowler for a long period of time. Certainly I rate him at least on a par with Murali and Saqlain. In a big match I'd take Warne any day of the week - he just lifted to another level when he needed to (see: WC99)

Migara

Cricketer Of The Year
I'm not convinced. Warne was brilliant on Australia's glass tracks. Murali disappointed every time he played on those same tracks.

The main difference between Warne and Murali stats-wise is Murali's longevity. Warne had the skill to keep playing another 5 years but retired young for reasons (probably was sad he didn't have enough time to bed all the women he wanted to bed).

Warne was an absolute gun ODI bowler for a long period of time. Certainly I rate him at least on a par with Murali and Saqlain. In a big match I'd take Warne any day of the week - he just lifted to another level when he needed to (see: WC99)
Murali and Warne rarely played on same kinds of tracks. SL never ever got a spinning tyrack when they toured AUS. I cannot remember Warne spinning anything miles like he used to do against England or SAF in Australia. Same was the case when India toured. There is a palpable lack of Warne's great zipping whizzing deliveries against Indian and SL batsmen. The reasons are obvious, because SL and IND spinners on such a track would dish it out to Aussie batsmen in no time.

Warne and Murali on similar tracks on similar countries against similar batting lineups, have done equally well. All thsi talk on Murali bowled on helpful pitches suddenely changes when Sangakkara is discussed, turning in to flat tracks.

Warne was a gun ODI bowler. But neither had impact or longevity of Murali or versatility of Saqlain. Saqlain for 97-98 two years was the best ODI spin bowler ever to walk on planet earth. We may have subjective assesments of out own but stats say a totally different story when it comes to ODIs.

TheJediBrah

Warne was never that great an ODI bowler. Sure he was probably in the top 5 or at least 10 of all time, but nothing compared to how good he was in Tests, where he is probably the best ever.

Even Brad Hogg was about equally as good as Warne in ODIs such that Warne never playing ODIs after 2002 was didn't even matter to the team.

Shri

Mr. Glass
Lol Murali was better than Warne in tests. Both sucked in India, which is the only thing that counts for a spinner. Murali's bowling average was 23 in tests and Warne's was 26. If Warne was better than Murali, Walsh is better than McGrath.

Gnske

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Lol Murali was better than Warne in tests. Both sucked in India, which is the only thing that counts for a spinner. Murali's bowling average was 23 in tests and Warne's was 26. If Warne was better than Murali, Walsh is better than McGrath.
Just like your posts

Burgey

As an Aussie supporter, Murali is the only ATG bowler I would actually choose to have play against us, because he literally posed **** all threat during his career. He was utterly hopeless here over multiple tours, and quite frankly taking 5/150 or some such in SL is bog average too.

He did nothing of any substantive worth against the best side of his era for his entire career. Basically a non-event.

Lovely bloke though. Was treated terribly on his early tours here.

TheJediBrah

Lol if Murali played for Australia he'd be lucky to average under 30

Burgey

He’s a bit like kapil dev. Hat tip to the sheer number of wickets, but in your heart you know there are a fair few better than him.