• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** New Zealand tour of Zimbabwe and South Africa 2016

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
Once again with you Aucklanders demanding a more voluminous video catalogue from Kippax, of all people. How about you come up with some evidence of Guptill looking surprisingly nimble and dexterous for us.

Aucklanders are always too rushed to engage in such frippery, with the harsh economics demanding they hail to the Big Abacus.
Because I don't live in the 09 any more and I'm too busy enjoying my discretionary time and money.

Clearly, by posting at 3.34pm on a Saturday.

Peaceful5583

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
Nicholls waste in test matches.Bharat popli should included in test team of 15, who scored 1147 runs in Plunkett shield last year with batting average of 67.96.nz without Cory for long time now and just like McC,taylor will not around too long,NZ cricket should built-in for future of team now and Zimbabwe is perfect platform. I wish JEET walks in next test xl also at Bulawayo.

Peaceful5583

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
KW dismissed in the 90's more times than modern day batsman s of his class and talents.3times in test and 6 in ODI =9.williamson will be 26on Aug.8th.sir Sachin hold record of 18 times dismissed in 90's

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
Nicholls waste in test matches.Bharat popli should included in test team of 15, who scored 1147 runs in Plunkett shield last year with batting average of 67.96.nz without Cory for long time now and just like McC,taylor will not around too long,NZ cricket should built-in for future of team now and Zimbabwe is perfect platform. I wish JEET walks in next test xl also at Bulawayo.
100% agree about Popli would have him as the next number 5 rather than Guptil.

Still there is always next season for Bharat...if he puts up the same numbers they can't ignore him forever.

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
Here is the only serious post I will make about Guptil batting at 5.

I think there would be a case to be made for it if he were suspect early doors against the new ball but then often had shown once he got past the first ten overs he had a habit of cashing in.

In my personaly history of watching Martin bat he seems to be susceptible to a ball at any age, not just the new ball. So I don't see the benefit of putting him down at number 5.

If he doesn't work at out at opening just rejoice in him being a NZ ATG ODI opening batsman. I mean who is better than him. He has a high average and has a double century against the white ball.

I personally would stick with him for opening anyway. I think he can potentially be expecting to average in the high twenties which is as good as Jeet Raval will do, and on top of that Guptill is a genuine all rounder. No he can't bowl for toffee but he is one of the top 5 fielders in the world, in my book he is an argument for the best fielder in the world, and that makes him a genuine asset in the field.

Last edited:

Gob

International Coach
KW dismissed in the 90's more times than modern day batsman s of his class and talents.3times in test and 6 in ODI =9.williamson will be 26on Aug.8th.sir Sachin hold record of 18 times dismissed in 90's
Wait he was knighted?

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
Have never liked the idea of Guptill at 5, hated it when he was tried the once in England. However if we had another competent test opener tomorrow (clone Latham), so Guptill was out of a job and Nicholls had not made five his own, I'd have to reconsider Guptill there. Young, Popli and some of the under 21s wouldn't be hurt by a couple more years of domesticks in the mean time.

Kippax

Cricketer Of The Year
Have never liked the idea of Guptill at 5
Nah, as the superficial Ian Smith analysis has always told us, it's just a slight hang-up or mental block with [insert overly chummy Auckland nickname here] that could be here today, gone tomorrow.

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
Nah, as the superficial Ian Smith analysis has always told us, it's just a slight hang-up or mental block with [insert overly chummy Auckland nickname here] that could be here today, gone tomorrow.
Definitely looking forward to the articles and commentary that Guptill has 'turned a corner' after scoring runs here against Zimbabwe and before the trip to South Africa.

Shady Slim

International Coach
not sure if i've made it known but i'm a big fan of cremer and think it's a massive shame zim don't get that many tests because we don't see much cremer around

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
I think everyone accepts that Martin James Guptill has serious technical flaws.

Let's see how Popli, Smith and co develop as well, and get some big NZ A or similar runs in them. Popli averaged 21 for a UK league side, so it's not like runs are flowing through him since our summer.

Kippax

Cricketer Of The Year
And yet he and Manu praise the **** out of Eden Park No. 2, I notice. A little ground that's already guilty of fostering the biggest discrepancy between producing substantive white ball national reps over substantive red ball national reps. Go figure.

African Monkey

U19 Vice-Captain
Despite the poor standard of bowling, good to see our batsmen applying themselves and not getting carried away by playing recklessly due to the opposition.

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
Despite the poor standard of bowling, good to see our batsmen applying themselves and not getting carried away by playing recklessly due to the opposition.
This is true and relates to Meridio's post earlier too. Last time we toured Zimbabwe it was oh this is easy racking up the runs, woops that was a bit lax oh well 250/4 still ain't bad oh wait now they're bowling well and we've lost a few more, oh it turns out they can bat too oh no we might lose this, before blushes were narrowly averted.

So yeah, good our batsmen aren't profligate this time, though this Zimbabwe side are also worse than last time.