• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Martin Crowe passes away

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
For those not in New Zealand I thought I would give a few highlights of what happened on ONE Network News.

It was the lead story and the only story for the first 10 minutes. 3 moments touched me.

1) Grant Fox told an endearing story, admist being teary, that he and Martin as 16 year olds had a bet as to who would represent New Zealand in the most tests in their chosen sport. "He pipped me in the end".

2) They tracked down the blackcaps at the airport for a comment. Everyone wanted to hear from Ross in particular or Guptil. All we got was a close up of the two of them embracing in a man hug. Kane spoke and said something sensible.

3) They interviewed Hadlee. And they just played a sound bite. But it was very meaningful for me. And to give it some context in his book Rhythm and Swing Hadlee poses himself a question "What is a good batsman? I would say a good batsman is someone who is consistent. Someone who can be relied upon to score 40 every time and get their fair share of centuries as well". And I remember thinking as a 13 year old jeez you are parsimonious with praise Paddles. Exactly how many batsman has New Zealand had that have fitted that description? And you are only using the word "good".
Hadlee was brief and to the point tonight. He looked right into the camera and having given the matter much thought over the years the living legend Sir Richard announced that Crowe had been a "Master-batsman in his consideration".
And I just looked at the TV and thought wow.

Fuller Pilch

Hall of Fame Member
Great great batsman. I remember when I was a little kid seeing him walk past at a Shell Cup game in the late 80s - he looked huge to me. What a magnificent driver and puller of the ball - probably the best batsman at combatting Wasim and Waqar (best new ball pairing I've ever seen). And to think the great man even posted here on CW. A tragic loss

http://www.cricketweb.net/forum/search.php?searchid=753787

Francis

State Vice-Captain
RIP you wonderful human being.

Note: Edited to remove that bit about his country not appreciating him.

Last edited:

Francis

State Vice-Captain
ps: Would have had a batting average over 50 if he wasn't fed to Lillee and Thompson at such a young age. He always said he felt he was pushed into the side too early. But New Zealand had no talent and no depth, and so he went out there anyway. I'll always admire him for that.

fredfertang

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Very sad news to wake up to - not quite the best batsman I ever saw, but I'll always be grateful to him for providing me with an answer to the question "What sort of batsman was this Barry Richards then?"

Flem274*

123/5
I've got nothing to say except goodbye. I don't think I need to say anything really. His life and career speak for him.

The Sean

Cricketer Of The Year
53 FFS. :(

An absolutely wonderful player - one of the great batsmen of my early years watching cricket - and a very intelligent and perceptive observer of the game. Most of all, a man of immense integrity and dignity to the last. He will be missed.

RIP

Biryani Pillow

U19 Vice-Captain
Even taking into account the current crop Martin Crowe was the best New Zealand batsman I have seen.

Since seeing the news my memory has gone to a century he scored in a Test at Lords in 1994. Still stands amongst one of the finest I can recall.

Even more importantly he always seemed to do it properly, both on and off the field.

Unfortunately the news today was not in any way a shock but the cricketing family has lost one of its best.

Kirkut

International Regular
Great batsman, played the ball very late. Also wrote plenty of quality articles for cricinfo.

jcas0167

International Debutant
Growing up in New Zealand in the 1980's Crowe was one of my heroes. Along with Hadlee, he was one of our genuinely world class players. I'm pretty sure he was the reason I got a Duncan Fearnley magnum bat, a treasured possession. His batting and leadership during that 92 World Cup was remarkable. It's amazing to see some of the tributes flowing in, with the likes of Wasim Akram saying he was the best he bowled to. Watching the NZ team face Akram & Waqar in the early 90's, really highlighted just how good Crowe could be. It was a huge shame that his old rugby knee injury curtailed his career and it setback NZ cricket for some time.

He could be outspoken and controversial but he was one of the more original thinkers and analysts in the game. Rest in peace.