• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The post here when Warne does something dickish/creepy thread

Scaly piscine

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I think the problem is that there is pressure from certain sections of the public and media on famous, rich people such as sportsmen to be seen 'making a difference' or whatever trite cliche you want for charitable help. I doubt the 'Shane Warne Foundation' would even exist if there wasn't such pressure.
Warne was a **** on the field, but he must be seen doing something good off the field (even if it makes no difference to the target issues) because that's how such a figure is supposed to conduct themselves.
But being Warne he still managed to give charity money to family and have bent competitions. A proven drugs cheat, conman and complete lowlife and charity work isn't going to disguise it because he's not in America.

Jord

U19 Vice-Captain
I don't think it's a unique Australian trait to focus on doing a job to the best of your abilities and not letting team politics and egos get in the way of winning.

As far as I'm aware he never oversaw anything ugly take place on or off the cricket pitch. I've never heard of any Greg Chappell-type hardnosed attitude or anything like that.
Didn't he make a talented age group cricketer quit the game due to Waugh being his idol, coming up against him in a grade match and being torn to absolute shreds by the guy to the point that he lost all want to play?

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
Didn't he make a talented age group cricketer quit the game due to Waugh being his idol, coming up against him in a grade match and being torn to absolute shreds by the guy to the point that he lost all want to play?
how is that Waugh's fault? Should he have gone easy on the guy?

Adders

Cricketer Of The Year
how is that Waugh's fault? Should he have gone easy on the guy?
Wat? I don't know this story and would be interested in hearing about it if anyone can provide a link........but if it's true and Waugh decimated him to the point of quitting the game, well you can only assume it was more than a bit of chatter going on.

Big difference in "going easy" on him and destroying him...........sounds like a total lack of class from a test icon targeting a youngster in a grade game to me.

Anyway, personally I always admired Waugh and the way he carried himself so would like to know if there is any truth to this story before branding him a ****.

TheJediBrah

Request Your Custom Title Now!
meh if that's true then the guy had issues was probably quite mentally weak already

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I don't think it's a unique Australian trait to focus on doing a job to the best of your abilities and not letting team politics and egos get in the way of winning.

As far as I'm aware he never oversaw anything ugly take place on or off the cricket pitch. I've never heard of any Greg Chappell-type hardnosed attitude or anything like that.
Steve Waugh oversaw every bit as much, if not more, sledging and on field abuse as captain than his predecessors or successors. Blokes like warned, McGrath and Hayden didn't just start their antics once ponting took over.

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
Wat? I don't know this story and would be interested in hearing about it if anyone can provide a link........but if it's true and Waugh decimated him to the point of quitting the game, well you can only assume it was more than a bit of chatter going on.

Big difference in "going easy" on him and destroying him...........sounds like a total lack of class from a test icon targeting a youngster in a grade game to me.

Anyway, personally I always admired Waugh and the way he carried himself so would like to know if there is any truth to this story before branding him a ****.
my understanding of "torn to absolute shreds" was that he scored lots of runs. Didn't think of sledging tbh.

Jord

U19 Vice-Captain
I can't remember where I heard or read about it but I remember thinking "That's what I'd expect from Waugh"

He was and possibly still is my favorite Australian cricketer alongside Michael Hussey.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Steve Waugh oversaw every bit as much, if not more, sledging and on field abuse as captain than his predecessors or successors. Blokes like warned, McGrath and Hayden didn't just start their antics once ponting took over.
Yeah, the above from hendrix is off-tap.

91Jmay

International Coach
I am not sure I buy that Waugh story about the grade player without some kind of reference. What could he have said that destroyed a kid so badly? I think sledging non professional youngsters (< 21) is a bit weak personally, but someone quitting the game seems OTT.

Marius

International Debutant
I am not sure I buy that Waugh story about the grade player without some kind of reference. What could he have said that destroyed a kid so badly? I think sledging non professional youngsters (< 21) is a bit weak personally, but someone quitting the game seems OTT.
I agree.

And if the kid quit the game after Steve Waugh was nasty to him, it's unlikely he would have had the mental strength to make it as a professional sportsman anyway.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Nah.. it really depends on what was being said. Unlike in international cricket, you can get away with saying any kind of **** at club level if you are an international cricketer. Who knows what that guy's mental state was that particular day and what his background was and what was said? If Sarwan responding to a regular sledge with a regular comeback can get McGrath to act like even more of a dick than he normally is on the cricket field, due to reasons outside of cricket, I think any youngster can get depressed due to some sledging. Just my two cents.

indiaholic

International Captain
McGrath acted like a dick, he didn't retire. What can you possibly say that would convince somebody to retire?

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Making a hasty decision is where I was getting at... Maybe he no sold his cricket skills so bad that the kid thought he was really not upto it and gave up...

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
McGrath acted like a dick, he didn't retire. What can you possibly say that would convince somebody to retire?
I think I could see it. Young players can be pretty self-conscious about their ability and their future in professional cricket. If he not only had an absolute shocking game but got completely trashed by his hero, it might have made him feel like a career in cricket was really unlikely and just give it away. I think I tend to agree with TJB that if that could scare him away then he probably didn't have the mindset to be a professional sportsman anyway, though.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Its hard to say that too though PEWS.. Some people develop that kind of ability over time. Maybe if this is all true, if that youngster did not regard Steve Waugh to be such a hero, he may not have acted like this in the face of some sledging.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Its hard to say that too though PEWS.. Some people develop that kind of ability over time. Maybe if this is all true, if that youngster did not regard Steve Waugh to be such a hero, he may not have acted like this in the face of some sledging.
Yeah I don't really disagree. What you're saying is definitely possible. I just think it's unlikely.

indiaholic

International Captain
Fine I agree. Won't blame Waugh though. The worst he could have anticipated was the guy not being able to handle the pressure and playing a poor game.

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
I do agree that sledging a grade cricketer as an international cricketer is a bit poor form, even in an era where sledging was considered totally fine.