• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The post here when Warne does something dickish/creepy thread

turnstyle

State 12th Man
So what's the goss on Steve Waugh. Why is he so unliked?

I thought it was his brother that was a bit of a **** with a pigdog of a(n ex) wife that nobody liked.

Spark

Global Moderator
So what's the goss on Steve Waugh. Why is he so unliked?

I thought it was his brother that was a bit of a **** with a pigdog of a(n ex) wife that nobody liked.
It's less Waugh himself, I think, and more the style of play he championed. "Mental disintegration" and all that.

turnstyle

State 12th Man
It's less Waugh himself, I think, and more the style of play he championed. "Mental disintegration" and all that.
It was interesting how quickly Australia disbanded with the no night watchmen 'rule' as soon as he retired.

GotSpin

Hall of Fame Member
Yeah I'd understand criticism over his style of play (in terms of captaincy), but there's not many who have carried themselves with such grace following retirement. He isn't out on twitter posting selfies or going on internet tirades against fellow players.

Mind you, I'm not completely sure how much he has given back to cricket in terms of coaching, promotion etc.

Last edited:

mr_mister

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Apparently Slats and Waugh had a huge lunchroom argument(in front of the whole team) over how they both got out in the '90s so often, lmao

Gnske

Apparently Slats and Waugh had a huge lunchroom argument(in front of the whole team) over how they both got out in the '90s so often, lmao
I can see it now, Slats no doubt had many a joke with the boys about getting out in the 90s so often, Steve comes in one day pissed off his mind on the team stash of VB slurring out
"You don't know diddly squat about the 90's Mick, I was there before you even strapped your first pad on you soft ****"

mr_mister

I should find the quote it was in Out of my comfort zone. The man wrote enough bloody biographies i tell you that much

social

Not from his ex-teammates.
Yeah

From what I know, it is pretty standard fare and quite a few people inside & out of cricket simply don't find him particularly likeable for a variety of reasons (e.g. mercilessly sledging young players on the odd occasion that he played grade, short arms/deep pockets, not generous with his time etc)

Last edited:

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
Tbh Steve is the kind of guy who you dread coming to your family BBQ once a year

I can see Mark Waugh's kids saying 'I-Is uncle Steve coming this year?' to a nod of derision from Junior. Steve probably shows up every year wearing his desiccated baggy green and sits in the corner of the yard drowning himself on the port he was meant to bring along to share.
Southern Comfort while listening to John Williamson tunes, more likely.

burr

State Vice-Captain
Oh, Justin Langer is such a twit.

Home | Live Scores & Latest News | Fox Sports

The Australian Way. What cliched tripe. Australian cricketers have always sniped at each other (just like in other teams) - Bradman and O'Reilly, Hughes and Lillee/Marsh etc. It's called personality clashes. I never could stand him and Hayden - their twee parochialism and whiff of John Howard conservatism really got on my nerves. I hope he never gets anywhere near the Australian team as a coach.

Spikey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
The real story of how the Shane Warne Foundation fell apart

Upset at the story detailing Coleman's departure, McGuire texted one of the journalists and Fairfax Media chief executive Greg Hywood at 3am.

"Chris [Vedelago], just so bad. Just so standard. We don't care. We make money for kids. You? Well it's a different journalism ideal I bought into. Probably not your fault. Greg Hywood should hang his head. F--- off. Eddie."

mr_mister

yeah, Justin Langer always struck me as a complete idiot who's opinion should be ignored all the time, unless he's talking about batting.

Starfighter

I hope he never gets anywhere near the Australian team as a coach.
Pretty sure he was assistant/batting coach under Tim Nielsen from '09 to '12-ish. When they interview him on the Big Bash I always turn the sound off. Real airhead.

the big bambino

International Captain
Just reading a headline that says Warne believes alien experimentation turned monkeys into humans. Seems aliens haven't probed warney yet.

Starfighter

These charities by rich people are always full of ****. Why not just say "hey we are a bunch of rich ****s who like to have lavish dinners and balls. Why don't we donate 16 percent of the tickets sales from these events to the poor and sick peasants just to ease that nagging sense of compassion for our fellow man we sometimes feel?"
I think the problem is that there is pressure from certain sections of the public and media on famous, rich people such as sportsmen to be seen 'making a difference' or whatever trite cliche you want for charitable help. I doubt the 'Shane Warne Foundation' would even exist if there wasn't such pressure.
Warne was a **** on the field, but he must be seen doing something good off the field (even if it makes no difference to the target issues) because that's how such a figure is supposed to conduct themselves.