• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Cricketweb's twenty greatest ODI players of all time

watson

Banned
Haha, that was such an amazing post. Just imagined watson looking up pure WC stats on howstat with zero context and posting them up being indulgently happy to be proved correct against muppets like us.
The context is the pressure of the World Cup, and Dhoni has only a couple of 50s to show for his efforts. Still a great ODI batsman though (obviously), end of story.

Last edited:

AldoRaine18

State Vice-Captain
My Rankings :

1. Sachin Tendulkar
2. Sir Vivian Richards
3. Wasim Akram
4. Ricky Ponting
5. Michael Bevan

6. Joel Garner
7. Adam Gilchrist
8. Mark Waugh
9. Sanath Jayasuriya
10. Lance Klusener

11. Muttiah Muralitharan
12. Glenn Mcgrath
13. Shaun Pollock
14. MS Dhoni
15. Jacques Kallis
16. Brian Lara
17. Kapil Dev
18. Andrew Symonds
19. Imran Khan
20. AB De Villiers

kiwiviktor81

International Debutant
Top 10 by matches per MoM (min 10 MoMs):

PlayerMatchesMoMsMatches per MoM
IVA Richards (WI)187316.03
CG Greenidge (WI)128206.40
HM Amla (SA)114167.13
SR Tendulkar (India)463627.47
MD Crowe (NZ)143197.53
V Kohli (India)157207.85
AB de Villiers (Afr/SA)186228.45
Saeed Anwar (Pak)247288.82
NJ Astle (NZ)223258.92
L Klusener (SA)171199.00
To put this is context, the average player will get a MoM in 1 out of every 22 matches. This ignores that MoMs are batsman and especially top-order biased.

Spark

Global Moderator
The context is the pressure of the World Cup, and Dhoni has only a couple of 50s to show for his efforts. Still a great ODI batsman though (obviously), end of story.
A couple of slow 50s which happened to be just right to comfortably ease his side home in a chase. SR is not relevant here.

Saint Kopite

First Class Debutant
My Top 20:-

1. Sachin Tendulkar.
2. Sir Vivian Richards.
3. Wasim Akram.
4. Adam Gilchrist.
5. Glenn McGrath.
6. Joel Garner.
7. Michael Bevan.
8. Ricky Ponting.
9. Shaun Pollock.
10. AB De Villiers.
11. Lance Klusener.
12. Muttiah Muralitharan.
13. Kapil Dev.
14. Sanath Jayasuriya.
15. Brian Lara.
16. MS Dhoni.
17. Andrew Symonds.
18. Waqar Younis.
19. Imran Khan.
20. Mark Waugh.

Fuller Pilch

Hall of Fame Member
Chris Harris was a poor man's Ian Harvey, who in turn was a poor man's Scott Kremerskothen.
Harris was the world's best ODI allrounder at one stage in the 1990s until surpassed by Klusener and Jayasuriya whereas Ian Harvey was a great fieldman who was marginally better than Andrew Ellis with bat and ball in internationals.

Last edited:

Dan

Hall of Fame Member
Harris was the world's best ODI allrounder at one stage in the 1990s until surpassed by Klusener and Jayasuriya whereas Ian Harvey was a great fieldman who was marginally better than Andrew Ellis with bat and ball in internationals.
And Scott Kremerskothen was better than them both!

karan316

State Vice-Captain
Jonty Rhodes is an extremely influential player when it comes to limited overs cricket. Definitely one of the top ODI players.

Jayasuriya is another player who deserves to be rated a bit higher. .

Last edited:

SuperMurali

School Boy/Girl Captain
Chris Harris got me a signed bat of the '99 Proteas side. Hansie, Pollock, White Lightning, Kallis......

Of course I'll vote for him

OverratedSanity

Request Your Custom Title Now!
My list will be a bit a suspect as I will only go with players I am familiar with nonetheless here it is...

1 Joel Garner
2 Viv Richards
3 Dean Jones
4 AB Devilliers
5 Martin Crowe
6 Amla
7 Tendulkar
8 Kapil Dev
9 Wasim Akram
10 Nathan Astle
11 Vettori
12 Nathan Bracken
13 Simon O'Donnell
14 Chris Cairns
15 Inzimam
16 Dhoni
17 Bruce Reid
18 Brett Lee
19 Lance Cairns
20 Richard Reid (even though he only played like 3 times)
Dean Jones over Tendulkar and Kapil Dev above Akram? Come on.

Like the Inzi vote though... underrated ODI great.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
Noticed it. Thought one vote out of so many was about fair recognition for his twin double hundreds.
Yeah I think it's slightly unusual that in a sport which is so stats driven, the highest scorer and best bowling performance (statistically) is not celebrated more. Of course if the performance comes up against a really weak associate and say the guys second highest score is 125 or something I wouldn't consider including the guy but Vaas and Rohit have both achieved something very great.

viriya

International Captain
Yeah I think it's slightly unusual that in a sport which is so stats driven, the highest scorer and best bowling performance (statistically) is not celebrated more. Of course if the performance comes up against a really weak associate and say the guys second highest score is 125 or something I wouldn't consider including the guy but Vaas and Rohit have both achieved something very great.
I have Vaas at #11 in my list. ATG ODI bowler while being handy with the bat.

viriya

International Captain
In all seriousness - 14 average at 75 SR in the 90s wasn't useless, it wasn't great but he was decent.