• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Cricketweb's twenty greatest ODI players of all time

kiwiviktor81

International Debutant
I once ran a simulation with 2,000 matches of South Africa. The simulator suggested that they were better off dropping Kallis for a bowler who could slog, like a Klusener/Pollock type.

Edit: this was because his strike rate was so poor that he just used up too many balls for not enough runs.

Last edited:

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
I once ran a simulation with 2,000 matches of South Africa. The simulator suggested that they were better off dropping Kallis for a bowler who could slog, like a Klusener/Pollock type.

Edit: this was because his strike rate was so poor that he just used up too many balls for not enough runs.
very interesting

OverratedSanity

Request Your Custom Title Now!

Yeah, precisely why I feel Klusener/Pollock> Kallis.

Klusener was better than just a slogger though... probably one of the best sloggers ever if he was one.

Malleeboy

U19 12th Man
Was thinking about the question of which "all rounder" to put in the Australian team, which lead me to think about on Australian team where everyone does both...
But the question is along the lines of the above conversation, how much do you value all rounders, what does a batman’s bowling add to a ODI side.
Gilchrist is batsman\keeper
Batsmen where all regular 5th bowlers in their teams, bowlers all picked as all rounders
1M Waugh
2 Glichrist
3 Watson
4 Lehmann
5 Bevan
6 Symonds
7 Maxwell
8 Faulkner
9 O’Donnell
10 Brad Hogg
11 Starc\Johnson\Lee\Warne – Run out of genuine all rounders
Is Steve Smith, S Waugh’s bowling god enough?
Johnson\Lee\Warne even Andy Bichel could swing a bat but weren’t thought of as allrounders, just tail end batters.

NZTailender

I can't believe I ate the whole thing
Was thinking about the question of which "all rounder" to put in the Australian team, which lead me to think about on Australian team where everyone does both...
But the question is along the lines of the above conversation, how much do you value all rounders, what does a batman’s bowling add to a ODI side.
Batsmen where all regular 5th bowlers in their teams, bowlers all picked as all rounders
1M Waugh
2 Glichrist
3 Watson
4 Lehmann
5 Bevan
6 Symonds
7 Maxwell
8 Faulkner
9 O’Donnell
10 Brad Hogg
Johnson\Lee\Warne even Andy Bichel could swing a bat but weren’t thought of as allrounders, just tail end batters.
Shane Lee tbh

Fuller Pilch

Hall of Fame Member
1M Waugh
2 Glichrist
3 Watson
4 Lehmann
5 Bevan
6 Symonds
7 Maxwell
8 Faulkner
9 O’Donnell
10 Brad Hogg
I'd put a young Steve Waugh in there for Lehmann - Waugh was a key bowler for Aus in the 87 WC. Ian Harvey was a genuine ODI allrounder but wasn't as good as Ch 9 said he was.

ankitj

Hall of Fame Member
This a travesty that Dean Jones only got 90 points. As mentioned I could make a case that he was more valuable than Viv because he showed up more often even if Viv was ten times more destructive.
Let me not even get started about Gordon Greenidge :(

Dan

Hall of Fame Member
I'd put a young Steve Waugh in there for Lehmann - Waugh was a key bowler for Aus in the 87 WC. Ian Harvey was a genuine ODI allrounder but wasn't as good as Ch 9 said he was.
Heresy.

Also, Scott Kremerskothen into that XI please and thankyou.

1. M Waugh (9)
2. G Blewett (8)
3. S Kremerskothen (2) *
4. M Clarke (10)
5. S Waugh (7) [d]
6. S Watson (6)
7. J Faulkner (4) [d]
8. T Zoehrer + (11)
9. I Harvey (3) [d]
10. B Hogg (5)
11. M Starc (1)

bagapath

International Captain
Murali 260 points
Warne 4 points
Seriously????

A XI from outside the top 20

Hayden
Amla
Sangakara
De Silva
Hussey
Symonds
Flintoff
Lee
Warne
Ambrose
Donald

Migara

Cricketer Of The Year
While I rate Wasim as the greatest ODI bowler but surely the difference between him and McGrath is nowhere near 115 points. A points less would be more digestible tbh

And I find it difficult to have Imran as the 21st greatest ODI cricketer of all time and Javed Miandad as joint 50th with inzy. People mixing up test careers as well it seems
That is quite harsh on Mjurali and McGrath, whom have better stats than Wasim in every aspect.

harsh.ag

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Warne did step up in some important games though. The '96 final being the most obvious exception. Even then, he was brilliant in the Windies semis collapse.

smash84

The Tiger King
That is quite harsh on Mjurali and McGrath, whom have better stats than Wasim in every aspect.
There is nothing harsh about rating Wasim as the greatest odi bowler over Murali or McG. Nowhere is anybody saying that there is daylight between them.

cnerd123

likes this
I think if Warne had a longer ODI career we'd talk about him more.

Murali has the record and longevity, and Saqlain had that brilliant peak for a few years. Fair enough they get rated higher IMO.