• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dhoni retires from Test Cricket

Salamuddin

International Debutant
I had a strong feeling this will be his last test series. But mid series is a surprise.

So how will his legacy in test cricket be judged? Does he make India's AT test XI?
I think Dhoni would make the all time India's test XI if you consider both keeping and batting for the wicketkeepers' slot.
He averages close to 40 with the bat - no other Indian keeper even comes close. And his keeping at its best may not have been
brilliant but it was certainly competent.

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
Not the best captain, but certainly an excellent player and one that India will miss.

biased indian

International Coach
Lol, do you think they'll only agree to some sort of hybrid version of DRS then, different to what the other sides play under?

Surely if they subscribe to it, they'll have to accept it the way it is wouldn't they?
As far as DRS is considered we currently have it different from all other teams rt :)...so i am open to all possibilities

Salamuddin

International Debutant
Don't know why some people are acting so surprised over this.
I think it was always the plan on the part of the BCCI and the India selectors that Dhoni would quit the test captaincy after the Australia tour.

India's transition/rebuilding phase which started after the World Cup win in 2011 is pretty much over. There really is no point in Dhoni staying - the next generation are now blooded in test cricket and establishing themselves.

biased indian

International Coach
Don't know why some people are acting so surprised over this.
I think it was always the plan on the part of the BCCI and the India selectors that Dhoni would quit the test captaincy after the Australia tour.

India's transition/rebuilding phase which started after the World Cup win in 2011 is pretty much over. There really is no point in Dhoni staying - the next generation are now blooded in test cricket and establishing themselves.
Wonder when our transition/rebuilding phase with regards to medium/fast bowlers will end !!!!

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Slightly surprised he's given tests away as well as the captaincy.

Aside from the intangible quality of leadership he undoubtedly brought, his runs from #7 are going to be hard to replace.

Maybe he just didn't fancy playing on under someone else.

Salamuddin

International Debutant
The interesting question for me is whether Dhoni will quit limited overs cricket post the world Cup.

He only turns 34 in July next year. If he keeps himself fit and now that he has quit tests, it's not inconceivable he could continue on to the T20
world championships in India in 2016 and dare I say it, perhaps even the world cup in England in 2019.

anil1405

International Captain
First reaction to this news was a big sigh of relief. His captaincy made the team look more mediocre than it was.

Nevertheless thanks for some good contributions through your career. Can't forget the brilliant double hundred against Aussies at home that set the tone for the series.

weldone

Hall of Fame Member
good smart decision there by Dhoni

I look forward to him captaining in limited overs for a looong time now.

harsh.ag

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
The interesting question for me is whether Dhoni will quit limited overs cricket post the world Cup.

He only turns 34 in July next year. If he keeps himself fit and now that he has quit tests, it's not inconceivable he could continue on to the T20
world championships in India in 2016 and dare I say it, perhaps even the world cup in England in 2019.
Tbh, I think Dhoni is the kind of guy who wants to and will make a smooth foray into the corporate world, and scale heights there as well and have a full career. Indian Cements Board of Director in a decade imo.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Certainly a player who left his mark on Indian cricket and carried himself well with the burden of keeping and captaincy. Don't go much on many of his tactics, but he's an immense cricketer. Been a massive part of Indian cricket's rise. Credit to him.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Certainly a player who left his mark on Indian cricket and carried himself well with the burden of keeping and captaincy. Don't go much on many of his tactics, but he's an immense cricketer. Been a massive part of Indian cricket's rise. Credit to him.
Yeah, there was always a strange disconnect between Dhoni the swashbuckling batsman and Dhoni the uber-stodge captain.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Oh don't worry, he'll absolutely attach himself to Kohli for the first while. Even just because he has Dhoni as a reference point.