• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

India Burnt Out?

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
No way. The score line in both tests has flattered them and they've had one big partnership when it mattered - yesterday. In Adelaide they took 12 wickets ffs and the game was only close because of a very sporting declaration; then in Brisbane hey took 16, at least four of which came at the very end when Australia slogged and the game was already up.

They've been better in Melbourne overall but mostly because of one excellent partnership. They stink.
Read my post again. Then change your answer to "yes you are right, completely right".

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
I mean India could achieve something great. They could be part of the greatest and most enthralling 4-0 loss series ever.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Read my post again. Then change your answer to "yes you are right, completely right".
I didn't read it he first time. Just read the bit about them not being too awful and wanted to make you feel bad.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
I didn't read it he first time. Just read the bit about them not being too awful and wanted to make you feel bad.
ffs I already had to cop being at the MCG and seeing Kohli going out last over of the day after I had thought Lyon's penultimate over was the last over and stood up and cheered.

That was embarrassing as. I already feel bad.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Hey I showed up to Wellington and we drew. Could draw Melbourne too! My luck is turning.

Will never attend an outside India win though #badluckcharm

JBMAC

State Captain
I think some who have posted here are very limited in their scope. India has been touring here for longer than the last 3 years and those posters can't come to grips with anything beyond that point. I mentioned earlier the 91/92 series where India was beaten 4-0 with one test DRAWN. They can not do even that with their current team( well not yet anyway).What about comparing say the Indian side of 1977/78 to this crop of players. Five tests were played in that series I recall and we got out of jail against a side including Gavaskar, Vishy, Mankad, Prasanna and Bedi to name a few We won the series 3-2 but the whoppings we got were big. So once again I ask Why has India burnt out

Maximas

Cricketer Of The Year
The point is that the 'burnt out' idea was much more relevant 3 years ago when they clearly had burned out as a tired old team, yet here a young team with obvious talent has arrived in foreign conditions and has managed to compete for long stretches, so rather than 'burning out' or heading in the wrong direction it in fact appears the potential and talent is there and they could go onto great things in the future

anil1405

International Captain
India are doing well to reach to a stage where the game seems to be 50-50 after two or three days. Thats when all sort of crap seems to be getting into the head of Indian players. They are too complacent for sure.The way tailenders are batting and bowlers are bowling gives the impression that they hardly care about working hard or practicing hard. Bowling six consecutive deliveries at a good length area looks like an improbable task for them. Its the small but important things like seizing the momentum when the game seems to be going either way which is lacking.

Dan

Hall of Fame Member
Hey I showed up to Wellington and we drew. Could draw Melbourne too! My luck is turning.

Will never attend an outside India win though #badluckcharm
Yeah, but the only reason India drew that game was because I attended the first 2.5 days.

Day 1: NZ knocked over cheaply, Ishant 6-fer
Day 2: India piles on the runs (including Murali ****ing Vijay iirc)
Day 3 Part I: NZ top order collapse leaves them 5/90-ish

<Dan leaves the ground>

Day 3 Part II: Brendon McCullum, BJ Watling, Jimmy Neesham h4x
Day 4: More h4x
Day 5: More h4x and a Kohli ton in the dying stages

I don't show up, NZ rack up 2000 and win by an innings and 1700.

JBMAC

State Captain
Wasn't that 3-2 defeat against a "shadow side" because of WSC?
Yes it was but the aussie side was still spearheaded by Jeff Thompson, Skippered by Simpson,Dyson, Kim Hughes ,Wood Darling, Yallop; none of whom you would call a "second" or shadow side

Dan

Hall of Fame Member
The point is that the 'burnt out' idea was much more relevant 3 years ago when they clearly had burned out as a tired old team, yet here a young team with obvious talent has arrived in foreign conditions and has managed to compete for long stretches, so rather than 'burning out' or heading in the wrong direction it in fact appears the potential and talent is there and they could go onto great things in the future
Yeah, Kohli and Rahane have proven themselves to be quality overseas, Pujara's been bloody unlucky but shown glimpses here and there, Dhawan isn't shunting it nearly as hard as previous Indian openers have overseas (see: the 1999 tour openers), Ashwin's bowled well considering he's a 'mystery'-style finger spinner in a place that usually ruins them, and Nostrils Yadav still looks to have potential if India knew what to do with him.

Oh and that Vijay shunt too, I guess :ph34r:

2011 was a tired, burnt out, regressing India who never had a hope in hell of drawing a match because they were that inept. 2014 India is a different animal, a unit who aren't quite good enough yet but are undoubtedly showing some promise in eventually overcoming some of their overseas demons. They do need Dhoni gone for that, IMO, and a very, very, very good bowling coach to help them out.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
This is the first time I have seen some positives from India in test cricket in the last 3-4 years. We could have won the first test had we not tried to win it in the next 45 minutes when we had two hours to win it. Kohli is a shining light. After the match fixing fiasco, Indian cricket has mostly gone up. However, last 3-4 years, it has has coming shattering down for various reasons. We are improving now and I expect India to be a far better test team in 12 months time.

Dan

Hall of Fame Member
Yes it was but the aussie side was still spearheaded by Jeff Thompson, Skippered by Simpson,Dyson, Kim Hughes ,Wood Darling, Yallop; none of whom you would call a "second" or shadow side
I think you're overstating that line-up. Wood and Dyson as an opening combination is, erm, questionable at best.

At worst:

MartinB

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
I think India are a bowler short, I would describe the Indian attack (in Australian conditions) as 3 1/2 bowlers, that is just not enough for test match in Australia . With the current attack, they will bowl well for a day and then fall in a heap.

For 3 pacemen / 1 spinner to work you need 4 good bowlers, with good stamina (e.g. McGrath & Warne).

If they added an extra bowler, they would start to be a bit more like Pakistan - Bowlers with better averages but prone to batting collapses.
If India does not add the extra bowler, the fast bowlers will get over worked and get injured