• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*** Official *** West Indies in South Africa 2014/15

WindieWeathers

International Regular
Good to read that - I get most of my "news" about the future of cricket in the West Indies from an old mate who retired there, and to be fair he was a bit of a doom and gloom merchant even in the good days, but he does always go on about how the kids are no longer interested in cricket - he does live in Dominica though
Right now with so many senior players absent the new Four-day competition is packed with good young talent...also the West indies u19 team will be playing in our 50-over competition next month so this is all good experience for these kids and i'm hopeful that more than a few will come good for us in the future.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Sigh!!.."short sighted"? i'm thinking LONGTERM smartypants!!..and once again your comprehension skills leave a lot to be desired as i said IF HE DOESN'T MAKE RUNS i'd drop him...that's MY VIEW..you wanna cry about it then that's your business, but my stance won't be changing.
Because you're well known for keeping the same stance and not bigging up players one game then calling for them to be dropped the next...

akilana

International 12th Man
No way, not for me. It's not quite that simple. If it were, Hadlee's 431 wickets from 86 has a better ratio than both (but we all know Hadlee didn't have much class at the other end).

As much as Steyn has had to compete for wickets with other quality bowlers within his own side, they're not quite the quality of bowlers Marshall had to compete with during his career; Garner, Ambrose, Holding, Walsh (to name a few).

Marshall is still the no 1 bowler I've ever seen, with the likes of McGrath, Steyn, Ambrose, Hadlee, Lillee & Akram bunched together for a close 2nd.
you meant that 4 bowlers were competing for as many as 20 wickets?

Beamer

International Vice-Captain
Still waiting to see him dismantle a decent batting line up, but he has time on his side, and is certainly is the most promising there has been for ages
Don't think that is fair tbh. He has a 10 wicket match haul against Australia and hauls against both Sri Lanka and New Zealand. He has taken over 100 wickets at a rate of 4 per test and an average of 25 runs per wicket. That is top class by any yardstick.

Beamer

International Vice-Captain
Really poor record away from home though
Yeah nowhere near as good as he would like obviously (averages 37) but he is almost always injured on tours. That is my biggest concenr about him. If he stayed fit he would take wickets anywhere he went.

He did really well in Sri Lanka on flat pitches and was extremely unlucky in England so it's not as if he bowled that much worse away than he does at home. He just isn't fit enough.

Kippax

Cricketer Of The Year

Just wondering whether I should make a really serious sort of wager here on Holder's batting ability tbh, before he gets fully discovered.

An Ian Bishop favourite, a World Cup captain at 23, it all sounds very seemly and conscientious to me.

test cricketer

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
Watching a brian lara interview and some old footage of west indian cricket. It is really depressing how bad they have become and how empty the stands are now.Brian has also said some powerfull stuff, he says his success as a cricketer, had little to do with the west indian cricket board, whilst also saying most countries can make medoicre players great, but west indies is the only country that makes great players mediocre. He said murali was harder to bat against but warne was the better bowler. He called wasim akram the best seamer he's played against and supprisingly he says fanie de villiers was the hardest sa bowler to face and not donald, ntini was the one he admired the most, whilst jacques was the best sa cricketer. He says his finest innings, was the 153 he scored in jamaica, iirc

Last edited:

Kippax

Cricketer Of The Year
Tired old Port Elizabeth not really ideal I guess. Would've been good for Holder's batting though.

Kippax

Cricketer Of The Year
Tony Cozier: Captaincy fitting reward for Holder's early promise | Cricket News | West Indies | ESPN Cricinfo

Ezra Moseley, the former Barbados and West Indies allrounder, is coach at the St Michael School in Bridgetown. He recognised the certainty of Lloyd's judgement as soon as Holder switched schools and came into his team.

"His leadership qualities were so obvious I immediately made him captain," Moseley recalls. "Last year, after he was already in the West Indies team, I told the St Michael scorer that he would soon become West Indies captain. I wasn't joking."

Moseley's initial opinion was that Holder was a better batsman than a bowler.

"His height was an advantage for his quick bowling but my impression was that he would develop into a batting allrounder," he said. "I can't understand why those in charge concentrated more on his bowling than his batting once he left St Michael."

dogwalker

U19 Captain
I thought de Kock was short but Bavuma is taking being vertically challenged to new, um... heights. We are building a team of midgets.