Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: ***Official English Domestic Off Season 2014-2015***

Hall of Fame Member superkingdave's Avatar

***Official English Domestic Off Season 2014-2015***

So with the 2014 cricket season being cancelled and declared null and void its time to start thinking about the off season.

Lets start with some fantastic news. Watkinson has stepped down, lets hope this signifies real change and we don't end up with Ashley Giles.

BBC Sport - Lancashire: Mike Watkinson steps down as cricket director
    Dave Mohammed >>>> You

Cricket Web Staff Member Woodster's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by superkingdave View Post
    So with the 2014 cricket season being cancelled and declared null and void its time to start thinking about the off season.

Lets start with some fantastic news. Watkinson has stepped down, lets hope this signifies real change and we don't end up with Ashley Giles.

Yes with the unfortunate relegation now may be the ideal time to have a restructure at OT. Still reckon Giles is going to be the man to come in and take charge.
    http://batallday.blogspot.com/ - Cricket blog dedicated to domestic cricket.

Going to start this new thread with a look at some of the moves that have already taken place since the season has finished just in case anyone's missed any, I know I did.

Derbyshire seamer Tim Groenewald has joined Somerset, while Essex have lost two outstanding prospects in keepr-batsman Ben Foakes, who has joined Surrey, and Tymal Mills who is yet to sign with another county but rejected an 'attractive' offer from Essex. It seems Worcester and Sussex are the early contenders for his signature. The Gidman brothers have both left Gloucestershire and will no doubt leave a massive hole for John Bracewell to attempt to fill. Alex has joined Worcester while all-rounder Will has moved to Nottinghamshire. Andre Adams has perhaps unsurprisingly moved on from Trent Bridge, he's joined Hampshire on a short-term deal as a player-coach and will spend three months at the Rose Bowl before taking up coaching duties in Auckland.

Moving out from Hampshire is David Balcombe who is heading to the Oval. Lancashire signed Leicestershire quick Nathan Buck but fringe batsman Andrea Aganthangelou has left Lancs and will be hoping another county will take him on. Buck isn't the only promising youngster heading out of Grace Road, Shiv Thakor has joined Derbyshire, Greg Smith to Notts and Josh Cobb has gone to Northants. He'll be joined at Northants by former Middlesex keeper Adam Rossington. Opportunities behind the sticks for Rossington were in short supply and Angus Fraser has stated that John Simpson remains the county's number one keeper.

That about wraps up the major moves so far, though another free agent that may raise interest from other counties is Azeem Rafiq who has been released from Yorkshire. And some bloke called Kevin something or other is a free agent and may be interested in a few freelance opportunities.

Cricket Spectator
    I hear James Vince might be going to play cricket for the Dolphins in South Africa during the winter, but I'm not sure whether it's a multi-format thing or he'll just be a T20 ringer. A good season there could spell an England call-up...

But in regards to KP, he'll probably skip out on England, certainly CC and RLODC. He'll play IPL at the beginning of the season, head over to the CPL in August, so he'll probably have a break during the middle of the summer. Perhaps sign up for a T20 Blast with a county.

Quote Originally Posted by WalkingWicket View Post
    I hear James Vince might be going to play cricket for the Dolphins in South Africa during the winter, but I'm not sure whether it's a multi-format thing or he'll just be a T20 ringer. A good season there could spell an England call-up...

But in regards to KP, he'll probably skip out on England, certainly CC and RLODC. He'll play IPL at the beginning of the season, head over to the CPL in August, so he'll probably have a break during the middle of the summer. Perhaps sign up for a T20 Blast with a county.
    Yes I presume Dale Benkenstein has had plenty of input on this possible move for Vince. Would be a fantastic opportunity for him to experience a different first-class competition and conditions in SA, and will prepare him nicely for the England Lions when he joins up with them in the New Year.

Yes can't see KP appearing for any county again, not eve in T20. Am I right in thinking there could be retrospective recriminations for the recent revelations in his book by the ECB should they feel it necessary? Not sure any county would want the hassle now.

still scratching around in the same old hole
    Quote Originally Posted by superkingdave View Post

Ashley Giles set to be new coach and director of cricket at Lancashire | Sport | The Guardian

Bloody hell. It isnt easy be a Lancs fan is it?

Ha...

Hahaha
    HeathDavisSpeed likes this.
    If I only just posted the above post, please wait 5 mins before replying as there is bound to be edits

West Robham Rabid Wolves Caedere lemma quod eat lemma

Happy Birthday! (easier than using Birthday threads)

Email and MSN- Goughy at cricketmail dot net

Dan
    Global Moderator / Cricket Web Staff Member Dan's Avatar
    A small planet somewhere in the vicinity of Betelgeuse
    In more Lancashire news, Chapple is stepping down as captain and taking a coaching role under Giles. Still considering playing on too, by the sounds of things. Would love to see him get to 1000 FC poles, tbh.
    My sworn enemy:
    Quote Originally Posted by Hurricane View Post
    I hate s smith.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hurricane View Post
    I give out points for style of which Steve(n) Smith has none.

International Regular
    Giles will do a superb job at Lancs. Will canter Div 2 .

Yes Giles was always likely to take on this role, and while he may be a less than exciting option I expect he'll make Lancs into an efficient side capable of climbing out of Div 2 at the first time of asking. But I do think a fair turnover of playing staff is required and now represents as good a time as ever to carry out such a transition.

Unsurprisingly I suppose, John Bracwell has turned to his native New Zealand in attempt to fill the gaps left by the Gidman brothers. All-rounder Kieran Noema-Barnett has signed a three-year deal as a non-overseas player due to a British passport. From what I understand more of a one-dayer force than a first-class performer, he played a 2nd XI game for Gloucester at the end of last season and presumably Bracewell must have liked what he saw/heard.

Another possible non-overseas signing is Nathan Rimmington who may return to Hampshire where he made one CC and one T20 appearance for the county last season when Kyle Abbott was unavailable. Lack of first-class opportunities back home may see Rimmington make the switch.

Irish spinner George Dockrell has signed on to remain at Somerset for next season at least. Just a one-year contract at Taunton for Dockrell may suggest that this is a big year ahead for him if he wishes to remain at Somerset.

International Debutant ohnoitsyou's Avatar
    KNB is average by CD standards (which is average by NZ standards), meaning he will fit right at home in Div 2.

Request Your Custom Title Now! Flem274*'s Avatar
    Considering what Ryder and Franklin have done in Div 2 compared to what they do over here, KNBs 110kph dobbers are going to be trolling h4x on a level not seen yet by a kiwi medium pace bowling allrounder in England.
    Kippax likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by Athlai View Post
    Jeets doesn't really deserve to be bowling.
    Quote Originally Posted by Athlai View Post
    Well yeah Tendy is probably better than Bradman, but Bradman was 70 years ago, if he grew up in the modern era he'd still easily be the best. Though he wasn't, can understand the argument for Tendy even though I don't agree.
    Proudly supporting Central Districts
    RIP Craig Walsh

Yeah I see he's already proven he can nick out one of the best bats in Div 2 there, before he's even got a Duke.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Feral Abacus View Post
    Another exaggerated personality stereotype conspiracy brought to you by Kippax.
    NZ RAIN RADAR . TAB CRICKET OPTIONS . KIPPAX CRICKET . DOOR TO THE VAULT

Quote Originally Posted by Kippax View Post

Yeah I see he's already proven he can nick out one of the best bats in Div 2 there, before he's even got a Duke.
    Wow, he'll fit right in at Glossop, the home of the trundler.
    Do I contradict myself?
    Very well then I contradict myself,
    (I am large, I contain multitudes.
    Walt Whitman

Hall of Fame Member superkingdave's Avatar
    Obviously will reserve judgement till they get games, but at least this gives the right impression. Maybe I was a little too pessimistic over Giles

Giles hands teenage trio contracts | England and Wales Cricket Board (ECB) - The Official Website of the ECB

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information