Cricket Player Manager
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Like Tree51Likes

Thread: Is the criticism of the Indian batting line up justified?

International Regular NasserFan207's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Daemon View Post
    Have we outdone our 2011 efforts?
    I think this is a worse performance, 1st test aside. It literally looks like they give no ****s.
    Batsman I tolerate: V. Richards, S. Tendulkar, E. Morgan, N. Hussain. KEVIN O F******* BRIEN

Time to sack Fletcher? I really don't see the point of him. Beaten by his former team home and away.
    Arjun and Jono like this.
    ~ Do you think I care for you so little that betraying me would make a difference ~

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Furball's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Cabinet96 View Post
    I think it's hard for batsman in long series against good bowling attacks. Think we saw that a bit with England in the Ashes. Sides work out plans and once they get on top it can be pretty hard to get out as a batsman with no games against different opposition or extended breaks to work on technical things.

India's batsman did well in SA and NZ in two tests, and started OK here, but it's just gone to pits last two and a half tests.
    That's why 2 and 3 Test series are thhe pits. 4 and particularly 5 Test series are exponentially more challenging for players.

Quote Originally Posted by Furball View Post
    That's why 2 and 3 Test series are thhe pits. 4 and particularly 5 Test series are exponentially more challenging for players.
    Certainly for away teams, it appears.
    "Your averages, captain, coaches and players can probably survive incompetence over a relatively short series, so if youíre going to be rubbish, make sure itís against Pakistan, Sri Lanka, New Zealand or someone."

Certainly for inexperienced line-ups, yeah.

International Debutant Viscount Tom's Avatar
    i think their performance today answers the question posed by the OP.
    AT-XI
    #J.Hobbs; #L.Hutton; #D.Bradman; #V.Richards; #G.Sobers; #A.Border; #A.Gilchrist; #K.Miller; #I.Khan; #S.Warne; #M.Marshall;

People are forgetting how badly India bowled and fielded through the majority of that 2011 series. They only actually dismissed us once, in the first innings of the second test. The rest of the time was waiting around for batsmen to get double tons and declare. Half the England batting lineup was just queing up to score as much as they felt like while RP got flown in for no reason, Sreesanth leaped over balls in the field that went for 4, Sehwag went for a sit down or two in the pavillion and Ravi Bopara got a fifty.

And there were days like today like the 4th day at TB where Broad was smashing sixes off Yuvraj and Raina before the Indians got all out for 120. Dravid was the only batsman to put up aything like resistance, there was plenty of talk of inevitable capitulation then, usually centred around Gambhir and Raina (Sehwag getting king pairs was considered at least eventful).

Oh and as mentioned - they did not ****ing win a game.
    Jono and Swingpanzee like this.

International Debutant Viscount Tom's Avatar
    But we expect Indian bowling to be **** overseas, we do not expect their batsman to fold so easily and so often.

SJS
    Virus 2 Champion!
    Quote Originally Posted by Kirkut View Post
    Well let's be honest, the team is still in transition.

They did well against the pace of Steyn and Morkel who used the kookaburra balls but have never faced the banana swing of the duke ball before.

So relax people, even Dravid took 5 years to become a class batsman. International cricket is tough.
    People in denial mode with their heads-in-the-sand attitudes deserve the worst of fates that befalls them . . . sadly many of the Indian cricket fans fall in this category . . .
    Last edited by SJS; 17-08-2014 at 10:49 AM.
    Arjun likes this.

International Regular NasserFan207's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Howe_zat View Post
    People are forgetting how badly India bowled and fielded through the majority of that 2011 series. They only actually dismissed us once, in the first innings of the second test. The rest of the time was waiting around for batsmen to get double tons and declare. Half the England batting lineup was just queing up to score as much as they felt like while RP got flown in for no reason, Sreesanth leaped over balls in the field that went for 4, Sehwag went for a sit down or two in the pavillion and Ravi Bopara got a fifty.

And there were days like today like the 4th day at TB where Broad was smashing sixes off Yuvraj and Raina before the Indians got all out for 120. Dravid was the only batsman to put up aything like resistance, there was plenty of talk of inevitable capitulation then, usually centred around Gambhir and Raina (Sehwag getting king pairs was considered at least eventful).

Oh and as mentioned - they did not ****ing win a game.
    I remember that series being more entertaining in general though. Also it felt like an accomplishment when England knocked India over.

Yeah, plus their bowling being ****e was expected really, we'd been saying that for years.
    Last edited by NasserFan207; 17-08-2014 at 10:40 AM.

Eyes not spreadsheets marc71178's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by harsh.ag View Post
    Time to sack Fletcher? I really don't see the point of him. Beaten by his former team home and away.
    It's funny. Whenever India have done well under Fletcher there's been absolutely no praise of him but whenever they lose it's all his fault?
    marc71178 - President and founding member of AAAS - we don't only appreciate when he does well, but also when he's not quite so good!

Anyone want to join the Society?

Beware the evils of Kit-Kats - they're immoral apparently.

International Vice-Captain King Pietersen's Avatar
    #BlameDhoni
    www.proudtofight.com

Quote Originally Posted by Cricinfo
    Styris to Pietersen, SIX, wow, what a shot, that is awesome...it's a repeat of his six off Muralitharan at Edgbaston, as he switches his grip and reverse-hits Styris over deep cover (or should that be deep square-leg) for a memorable maximum.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cricinfo
    Styris to Pietersen, SIX, that's the most extraordinary shot, he switches his grip to that of a left-hander and launches Stryis high over long-off for a might six. That is one of the more incredible shots you'll see

I think 2011 had Dravid, which made an awful lot of difference, testicular fortitude wise.

India were obviously on the end of a shellacking, but the great man never once gave it away.
    Cricket Web's 2013/14 Premier League Tipping Champion

- As featured in The Independent.

"I don't believe a word of Pietersen's book, but then I don't believe a word anyone else has said either."
    - Simon Barnes renders further comment on KP's autobiography superfluous in a sentence

International Captain OverratedSanity's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BoyBrumby View Post
    I think 2011 had Dravid, which made an awful lot of difference, testicular fortitude wise.

India were obviously on the end of a shellacking, but the great man never once gave it away.
    Yeah, this really puts into perspective again how immense he was. The rest of the batting was just as useless, and Broad actually bowled far better that series than this time.

International Captain OverratedSanity's Avatar
    On purely batting, this series is the worst I've seen from India. Worst overall still Australia 2011/12, though

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread Information