• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Ajmal Action Reported

Migara

Cricketer Of The Year
I don't believe in the process given it's obscurities. Espicially the centre at Cardiff carries clouds of suspicion over the test procedure as well as the screening method for testing.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
On what basis do you doubt the Cardiff centre? You have absolutely no grounds to. It's been adopted by the icc so they must be happy with it.

Migara

Cricketer Of The Year
There are reason for the doubt. That is the very reason I said Senanayake should be tested again in Perth for a comparison of results, because the discrepancy of the results are too large to be ignored. Then, Piyal wiethunga expresses his concerns about the test, saying Senanayake was pressurized to bowl like of a particular delivery, and there had been no insight on how that particular delivery was selected for evaluation. For me the whole excercise looks very dodgy. That cricinfo article just reinforces it.

watson

Banned
There are reason for the doubt. That is the very reason I said Senanayake should be tested again in Perth for a comparison of results, because the discrepancy of the results are too large to be ignored. Then, Piyal wiethunga expresses his concerns about the test, saying Senanayake was pressurized to bowl like of a particular delivery, and there had been no insight on how that particular delivery was selected for evaluation. For me the whole excercise looks very dodgy. That cricinfo article just reinforces it.
I can't see why the Biomechanical Scientists would have a vested interest in falsifying or exaggerating the results as they clearly have nothing to gain. After all, it is extremely unlikely that they just so happen to be cricketing fundamentalists hellbent on achieving bowling purity.

Last edited:

G.I.Joe

International Coach
I don't think they have vested interests. I think it's the human component of the tests that has the potential to make everything iffy. Sure, you're sticking sensors and sciency stuff onto the player in a controlled environment, but you're still depending on human eyes (i.e, nerds with thick glasses) to make sure that the bowling action during the testing resembles the action during match conditions. At the end of the day, fallibility in that area can screw up your entire test results. If you insist that the test subject bend his arm more during testing because you don't think his action is consistent with the match conditions, you're of course guaranteeing measurements unflattering to the bowler (and vice versa applies too, ofc). Lab testing will never replace the accuracy of real-time measurements, which of course, the ICC is loathe to undertake.

G.I.Joe

International Coach
pretty sure they largely rely on RPM readings to determine if they're replicating their match action
I'm not sure of that. There was this newspaper report of Senanayake's testing shared by Cevno (?) on here, which suggested that the testers relied on frame by frame references to match footage to determine the validity of the bowling action during testing. Perhaps it's in combination with RPM readings, because it doesn't strike me that RPM readings by themselves are fully capable of determining the validity of the bowling action.

Last edited:

cnerd123

likes this
How should the ICC go about treating chuckers if we get all bowlers to bowl in arm braces and sensors during matches and get real time measurements for every ball? Just call no-ball on the deliveries that register as a chuck and allow the guilty bowler to keep bowling? Or ban the bowler if he breaches the limit?

G.I.Joe

International Coach
How should the ICC go about treating chuckers if we get all bowlers to bowl in arm braces and sensors during matches and get real time measurements for every ball? Just call no-ball on the deliveries that register as a chuck and allow the guilty bowler to keep bowling? Or ban the bowler if he breaches the limit?
Why would you need arm braces?

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
I don't think they have vested interests. I think it's the human component of the tests that has the potential to make everything iffy. Sure, you're sticking sensors and sciency stuff onto the player in a controlled environment, but you're still depending on human eyes (i.e, nerds with thick glasses) to make sure that the bowling action during the testing resembles the action during match conditions. At the end of the day, fallibility in that area can screw up your entire test results. If you insist that the test subject bend his arm more during testing because you don't think his action is consistent with the match conditions, you're of course guaranteeing measurements unflattering to the bowler (and vice versa applies too, ofc). Lab testing will never replace the accuracy of real-time measurements, which of course, the ICC is loathe to undertake.
This is a very good point.

Also keep in mind that the match footage would not be shot at the same angles and at the same extremely high frame rate as testing conditions, so there's an inherent difficulty in ensuring that the testing action is the same as the match action.

cnerd123

likes this
Why would you need arm braces?
Referring to this:
ICC is now working with experts to produce a process capable of measuring bowlers’ actions in a match environment. Known as inertial sensors, they employ similar technology to that used in iPads, mobile phones and car crash impact detection systems.

It is planned the technology will be light, cost effective and wearable on the bowler’s arm and will not to hinder performance while still allowing information about the throw like features of an illegal action to be assessed in near real time in both match and training environments.
Cricket Bowling technology - Queensland Sports Technology Cluster

Presuming it will look like an arm brace of sorts

G.I.Joe

International Coach
Those are basically just sensors, possibly mounted on some sort of sheath over the arm. I assume you have Murali's brace in mind - that served to immobilize his elbow joint, which is obviously not desirable for a bowler in a match situation. It's not a brace if it doesn't have some degree of immobilising functionality.

Last edited:

Migara

Cricketer Of The Year
I can't see why the Biomechanical Scientists would have a vested interest in falsifying or exaggerating the results as they clearly have nothing to gain. After all, it is extremely unlikely that they just so happen to be cricketing fundamentalists hellbent on achieving bowling purity.
I am not doubting the experts. But I am doubting the current administration of ICC. They have a clean record eh?

The best would be to publish the whole methodology of testing. HWat is already published has many holes in it.

Last edited:

watson

Banned
I am not doubting the experts. But I am doubting the current administration of ICC. They have a clean record eh?

The best would be to publish the whole methodology of testing. HWat is already published has many holes in it.
Umpires are incompetent + Dodgy ICC/Biomechanical Testing = Complete Impasse

So looks likes there's nothing for it Migara - the bowlers will have to bowl with an arm that doesn't look kinky if they are to avoid the general incompetence of cricket administration. What a nice challenge for them.

Last edited:

Migara

Cricketer Of The Year
No point in nitpicking. There are enough holes to be exploited if some one needs to play foul. Just tap them and close them.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
SLC begins chucking crackdown

From cricinfo.

The Sri Lankan board has finally begun to get its house in order.

Kudos, but the figures quoted in the article (20-25 bowlers have been reported from Divs 1 & 2 of the SL U23 comp, most of whom are offies) suggest this is probably overdue.

As echoed by SLC umpires educator Tyron Wijewardene,

Tyron Wijewardene said:
This has been an ongoing issue with our cricket and we are now taking radical steps to eradicate this menace which is like a cancer spreading to all corners of the country. Since we started to crack down on illegal bowling from last month there have been encouraging signs. Bowlers who have been reported once or called during a match have shown a big improvement.
There it is, folks; chucking is a cancer in Sri Lankan cricket.

Maximas

Cricketer Of The Year
That is a ridiculous amount of suspect actions, good to see they are trying to correct things before these guys make it towards international cricket though

wellAlbidarned

International Coach
Tbf it should be done in most countries at club level. I've seen plenty of worse actions than Kane's peeking at Prem games.

jonbrooks

International Debutant
No he didn't. When Muraliatharan had the brace on, his arm looked fine. It's only when he goes for his big off break or the doosra that his action breaks down completely.