• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Who is the best bowler ever to average over 30 in Test cricket?

Who is the best bowler ever to average over 30 in Test cricket?

• Danish Kaneria (:ph34r:)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Matthew Hoggard

• Javagal Srinath

• Chris Martin

• Sarfraz Nawaz

• Monty Panesar

• Fidel Edwards

• Umar Gul

• Vinoo Mankad

• Danny Morrison

• Srinivas Venkataraghavan

• Fred Titmus

• Ravi Shastri

• John Emburey

• Ashley Giles

• Tony Greig

• Phil DeFreitas

• Alf Valentine

• Paul Adams

• Mervyn Dillon

• Lance Cairns

• Devon Malcolm

• Bruce Yardley

• Phil Edmonds

• Intikhab Alam

• Ewen Chatfield

• Andre Nel

• David Allen

• Ray Illingworth

• Shakib Al Hasan

• Phil Tufnell

• Dilip Doshi

• Carl Hooper

• Pragyan Ojha

• Nathan Lyon

• Karsan Ghavri

• Vanburn Holder

• Doug Wright

• Pedro Collins

• Paul Harris

• John Bracewell

• Shivlal Yadav

• Lasith Malinga

• Abdul Razzaq

• Nicky Boje

• Dilhara Fernando

• Mohammad Rafique

• Dick Motz

• Irfan Pathan

• Arthur Mailey

• Sanath Jayasuriya

• Manoj Prabhakar

• Venkatesh Prasad

• Corey Collymore

• Jack Gleeson

• Chris Lewis

• Patrick Patterson

• Venkatapathy Raju

• Tauseef Ahmed

• Jerome Taylor

• Kenny Benjamin

• Steve Waugh

• Neil Foster

• Warwick Armstrong

• Shanthakumaran Sreesanth (:ph34r:)

• Dwayne Bravo

• Hedley Howarth

• Jack Gregory

• Daren Powell

• John Reid

• Pramodya Wickramasinghe

• Darren Sami

• Cyril Vincent

• Frank Woolley

• Lance Klusener

• Ray Price

• Mashrafe Mortaza

• Daryl Tuffey

• Salim Durani

• Total voters

fredfertang

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Pakistani umpires didn't believe that Qadir could turn the ball at all, at least I can only assume that was the case given that every time he turned one past the bat they gave the catch behind

smash84

The Tiger King
I loved Qadir at the time, and TBH the fact he did get umpires assistance, probably makes up a little for the fact that he played in the worse time for spinners ever. That time after uncovered, but before umpires started given LBWs for pretending to play a shot. Hence why Kumble has more. He probably would have had even more nowadays with DRS meaning the umpires give even more, and the way he bowled was pretty conducive for that.

Yet watching Abdul on youtube and I'm really surprised at his lack of accuracy, one feels his high average was because he was fairly easy to take apart at times.
That's not what was pointed out.
Fair enough. It was pointed out that umpires weren't as inclined to give lbws in those days.

the big bambino

International Captain
Qadir got about 22% of his wickets lbw in tests which is high. Compare that with say Underwood who only got 8% lbw. About the lowest percentage of lbws/total of wickets look like the fast bowlers around the time they changed the lbw law. Back then they struggled to get around 5.5% of their wickets lbw. Leg spinners like O'Reilly and Grimmett got around 16% (from memory) even though they played under the same rules. I guess they must have bowled a more middle/leg line meaning they weren't operating under as much of a handicap as the fast bowlers who pitched off or just outside where they couldn't get a decision until the law changed in 1935.

grecian

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Qadir got about 22% of his wickets lbw in tests which is high. Compare that with say Underwood who only got 8% lbw. About the lowest percentage of lbws/total of wickets look like the fast bowlers around the time they changed the lbw law. Back then they struggled to get around 5.5% of their wickets lbw. Leg spinners like O'Reilly and Grimmett got around 16% (from memory) even though they played under the same rules. I guess they must have bowled a more middle/leg line meaning they weren't operating under as much of a handicap as the fast bowlers who pitched off or just outside where they couldn't get a decision until the law changed in 1935.
Underwood is interesting. There's certainly a slight that some make on his career because of uncovered pitches. Yet blimey with his style he would have picked up 100 more lbw's the way things are done now, and I mean that literally in all forms.

smash84

The Tiger King
I loved Qadir at the time, and TBH the fact he did get umpires assistance, probably makes up a little for the fact that he played in the worse time for spinners ever. That time after uncovered, but before umpires started given LBWs for pretending to play a shot. Hence why Kumble has more. He probably would have had even more nowadays with DRS meaning the umpires give even more, and the way he bowled was pretty conducive for that.

Yet watching Abdul on youtube and I'm really surprised at his lack of accuracy, one feels his high average was because he was fairly easy to take apart at times.
Fair point. Maybe my nostalgia does cloud my thinking. And the fact that richie included him in his shortlist for soin options

the big bambino

International Captain
That's not to say Qadir wasn't a world class spinner. The lbw rule is one of cricket's most important and influential on its development. I agree with Grecian that Underwood was stiffed as were bowlers (fast bowlers in particular) under the pre 1935 rule. The lbw rule is now fairer to all bowlers though Qadir's is traditionally the type of bowler that seemed to obtain a good percentage of lbws if the O'Reilly, Grimmett stat represents a trend. Again I can only suggest it is line that leggies bowl that make them more likely than other styles to get lbws.

mono

U19 Debutant
I was going to write a rant about Chaminda Vaas not being in this list. But then realised that he was marginally sub-30. :ph34r:

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
Great list, can't be arsed to read the thread. Harmison or Lee for me. Actually, Harmison for me. Over 30 is where he should be but he was a once in a generation bowler - something England had not seen since Willis. And yes I am drunk.

ImpatientLime

International Regular
Great list, can't be arsed to read the thread. Harmison or Lee for me. Actually, Harmison for me. Over 30 is where he should be but he was a once in a generation bowler - something England had not seen since Willis. And yes I am drunk.
I read a post of yours Goughy eons ago where you stated that Harmison, Flintoff and Vaughan were all massive underachievers. How good should they have been and is the fact that they are all English a coincidence or something deeper rooted?