• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Mankading - Why is it not within the "Spirit of the Game"?

Migara

Cricketer Of The Year
An idea like having a "mankad ball" similar to free hit would be interesting. If a batsman backs up too far, one short will be called, or given a one run penalty if it is a dot ball. Next ball will be a default dot ball, but all the modes of dismissals are open, and fielding side can field whatever field they like for that ball. will be interesting to see a six slips and three shortlegs in an ODI.

harsh.ag

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
An idea like having a "mankad ball" similar to free hit would be interesting. If a batsman backs up too far, one short will be called, or given a one run penalty if it is a dot ball. Next ball will be a default dot ball, but all the modes of dismissals are open, and fielding side can field whatever field they like for that ball. will be interesting to see a six slips and three shortlegs in an ODI.
Yes. I was discussing this last year with a friend. Since the bowler getting a slight advantage is penalized with an extra run, the same should apply for the non-striker. Penalizing him with his wicket is overkill.

Spark

Global Moderator
It's not the worst idea but it'd slow the game down a bit too much IMO.

A penalty run or two seems the best option. If you're trying to steal a run unfairly, you should be docked a run - that seems pretty proportional to me.

viriya

International Captain
I think it would be more interesting to have an additional run out possibility. Losing to a penalty run at the end of a close chase sounds worse than a smart play by the bowler to get a run out..

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
the umpires have a hard enough time concentrating on no balls.

Run the **** out. Don't leave your crease.

Simple.

Blocky

Banned
To be honest, I don't see why this isn't just accepted as "You're out of your crease, piss off, you're out"

Batsmen have a lot more control over this one than they do when the bowler gets a finger on a ball struck back towards him and it hits the stumps with the batsman out of his crease, we don't seem to have any problems with that dismissal type despite it being completely outside of the control of a batsman.

Maximas

Cricketer Of The Year
Batsmen have a lot more control over this one than they do when the bowler gets a finger on a ball struck back towards him and it hits the stumps with the batsman out of his crease, we don't seem to have any problems with that dismissal type despite it being completely outside of the control of a batsman.
If you get run out like that you still have only yourself to blame, even when the ball is smashed back you shouldn't have left your crease far enough to not get back in time if you're doing it right

Blocky

Banned
If you get run out like that you still have only yourself to blame, even when the ball is smashed back you shouldn't have left your crease far enough to not get back in time if you're doing it right
No you don't - generally you've seen your opposite number play a drive, you've left your crease to anticipate the single and the bowler stumbles over in his follow through, gets a finger tip on the ball and it crashes into the stumps. You're backing up like you're supposed to and you're being run out for it. That to me is no better nor worse than being a Mankad victim.

Maximas

Cricketer Of The Year
If you see the ball coming back close to the stumps you're a complete fool if you are thinking about running before you think about what could happen if the bowler gets a finger tip to it and it hits the stumps. If you're holding the bat in the correct hand and are facing towards the bowler as he runs in then in an instant you should be able to reach back and ground your bat in time to make your ground. Backing up properly (as far as I'm concerned) builds momentum so you are ready to run - it shouldn't be used simply to try and minimise the amount of distance to the other end, if that's how you back up then you always run the risk of something like this happening. My conclusion - mankading and run-out via follow-through deflection: batsman's fault

Blocky

Banned
If you see the ball coming back close to the stumps you're a complete fool if you are thinking about running before you think about what could happen if the bowler gets a finger tip to it and it hits the stumps. If you're holding the bat in the correct hand and are facing towards the bowler as he runs in then in an instant you should be able to reach back and ground your bat in time to make your ground. Backing up properly (as far as I'm concerned) builds momentum so you are ready to run - it shouldn't be used simply to try and minimise the amount of distance to the other end, if that's how you back up then you always run the risk of something like this happening. My conclusion - mankading and run-out via follow-through deflection: batsman's fault
The problem is half the time you don't see it and half the time the bowler doesn't even intend to actually flick the ball back to the stumps. If you're at the opposite end against a pace bowler and you see your mate crunch a drive, chances are you're going to start backing up out of your crease - that the bowler stumbles over and gets a finger on it and it hits the stumps doesn't seem any less fair of a dismissal to me (i.e no intent/control of his action) than being a Mankad is.

I agree with you though, Mankad is the batsmans fault and in todays age of professionalism should be considered as fair a dismissal as any other.

Cruxdude

International Debutant
I like penalty runs for leaving the crease early. Out is maybe a bit too harsh and no run off that ball seems too lenient.