• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Peter Moores gets a second bite of the apple

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
''During those 10 years we had a strong side with strong leadership at the time and that side in the past could accommodate Kevin'' = Cook is weak and so KP had to go

Downton may have some qualities but public speaking is not one of them

Sean Flynn

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
''During those 10 years we had a strong side with strong leadership at the time and that side in the past could accommodate Kevin'' = Cook is weak and so KP had to go

Downton may have some qualities but public speaking is not one of them
Methinks Mr Downtons best qualities are found working in the city....as i believe like his old teammate Phil Edmonds who is a businessman, Downton was a merchant banker after retirement from cricket.

Last edited:

social

Methinks Mr Downtons best qualities are found working in the city....
Amusing assessment of Downton's performance

"Does anyone else think that Downton's appraisal of the situation on arriving in Australia was perhaps a little, er, inaccurate?

Based on his testimony, the only problems that needed addressing were Andy Flower's future and that of Kevin Pietersen's 'disengagement' from the rest of the team.

Am I the only one who thinks that even a deaf, dumb, blind and comatose geriatric would have noticed that England's problems went a little deeper than that?

That a tour which set a new benchmark for ineptitude might have roots in a widespread failure to identify cracks appearing in the England edifice?

That our batsmen had failed to post a meaningful first innings score for a long time.

That our bowlers were incapable of blowing away the opposition's tail like they used to?

That our fielding had deteriorated markedly?

That our captain was about as inventive in the field as a breeze block, and as capable of motivating his team as an industrial dose of ketamine?

That our coach had been promulgating a brand of cricket that last worked 2 years ago and had since been well and truly worked out by leading teams?

Look too at our subsequent performance in the T20 World Cup.

Why, exactly, was it a makeshift team?

Had the tournament crept up on England by surprise?

Had the ECB and Ashley Giles forgotten it was happening, and only belatedly cobbled together a side?

Where was the forward-planning, the over-arching plan to develop excellence in all three forms of the game?

I wish Moores well, I really do, but that press conference left me utterly dismayed. He's obviously a decent chap, but his win percentage last time round was in the 30s for Tests and ODIs, which isn't good enough, and he lost the dressing room (not just Pietersen).

But more depressingly, we're still stuck with a weak, gutless skipper (did anyone else notice how uncomfortable Cook looked throughout, given it was the 4th 'Dawn of a new era' in recent weeks?), and an administrator who has so little grasp of what's actually wrong with English cricket.

And to cap it off, the ECB has poached the opposition's coach weeks before they arrive for a make-or-break series - that is unbelievably dishonorable

Sean Flynn

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
Sri Lanka and India must fancy themselves to win over here in the next few months. England are in utter turmoil with a weak skipper (tactically speaking and reactive rather than proactive) uncertainty on how Peter Moores coaching will positively affect the team, a batting lineup that struggles to reach 400, loss of a world class spinner. I could go on. If Mr Moores makes a success of this i will be quite frankly amazed.

mono

U19 Debutant
And to cap it off, the ECB has poached the opposition's coach weeks before they arrive for a make-or-break series - that is unbelievably dishonorable
Farbrace is also not helping his integrity by jumping ship at the 11th hour. The news going around in Sri Lanka is that he went straight to England after the T20 WC and has been incommunicado ever since.

Maximas

Cricketer Of The Year
Yeah, Jayasuria seems more pissed off at Farbrace than the ECB, as am I, Farbrace hasn't even been in contact with SLC

flibbertyjibber

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Adds a bit of spice to the series coming up then if Farbrace has acted like that. Total disgrace in my opinion not to have the courtesy to explain to his employers what is going on. If he had just said England are my own nation and I may never get the opportunity to work with them again so I can't turn it down the he may have some sympathy from SL fans as it is he has acted very stupidly.

grecian

I just think it's hypocritical to keep saying "It's a team sport! It's a team sport!", and then claim that as a single individual, KP could have been so disruptive. As the best player in the team, perhaps his sharp criticisms of the (then) current strategy/planning should have been given more weight. I sometimes feel England used KP throughout his career as a mascot and as a conduit for success, and when he tried to get things done in a better way, each time he was swept away by the captain-coach-administration "We're-English-And-Follow-Decorum" setup.
Nah it wasn't Stuart Broad.

It's amazing how coaching england is considered a second tier job to coaching in the IPL. :o
By whom exactly?

YorksLanka

International Debutant
Adds a bit of spice to the series coming up then if Farbrace has acted like that. Total disgrace in my opinion not to have the courtesy to explain to his employers what is going on. If he had just said England are my own nation and I may never get the opportunity to work with them again so I can't turn it down the he may have some sympathy from SL fans as it is he hasacted very stupidly

Not to mention that he let down God's own county to go to SL,which was great for me as a SL supporter but not as a Yorkshire supporter.. The thing is though that i can't blame him if he takes it as he will want to be in his own country with his family and helping his country- the ECB are the ones in the wrong here.

YorksLanka

International Debutant
Adds a bit of spice to the series coming up then if Farbrace has acted like that. Total disgrace in my opinion not to have the courtesy to explain to his employers what is going on. If he had just said England are my own nation and I may never get the opportunity to work with them again so I can't turn it down the he may have some sympathy from SL fans as it is he hasacted very stupidly

Not to mention that he let down God's own county to go to SL,which was great for me as a SL supporter but not as a Yorkshire supporter.. The thing is though that i can't blame him if he takes it as he will want to be in his own country with his family and helping his country- the ECB are the ones in the wrong here.

Adders

Cricketer Of The Year
The thing is though that i can't blame him if he takes it as he will want to be in his own country with his family and helping his country- the ECB are the ones in the wrong here.
I actually think the exact opposite. Farbrace is the one with the obligations here, he's the one breaking a contract and letting a national side down. What obligations does the ECB have in this matter?

It's like a cheating husband...........who's the one committing adultery, him or the other (single) woman? You can point the moral finger at the ECB and the other woman but at the end of the day they aren't the real dogs.

Last edited:

mono

U19 Debutant
I can't understand how ECB can trust Farbrace now. How can they be so sure that Farbrace will not jump ship again the moment a juicy IPL coaching contract comes along

Maximas

Cricketer Of The Year
I actually think the exact opposite. Farbrace is the one with the obligations here, he's the one breaking a contract and letting a national side down. What obligations does the ECB have in this matter?

It's like a cheating husband...........who's the one committing adultery, him or the other (single) woman? You can point the moral finger at the ECB and the other woman but at the end of the day they aren't the real dogs.
Yeah this, you sign a contract and you honour that bitch, you don't run off and point the finger at those who approached you