• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** Road to the 2015 Cricket World Cup

Howsie

International Captain
Boult should be the first bowler picked IMO. Forget his overall record, he's barely played any one day stuff even domestically over the last few years. Doesn't do him enough justice now.

Forget Mills, we ain't winning squat if he's in the playing XI. Boult although unproven in ODI's has the ability to take 4/5 wicket hauls, ya know WIN you a game. Boult, Southee, Henry and Mitch M. With Milne being given plenty of chanes leading up to the tournament.

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
What's Mills done wrong? Apart from being one of the top ODI bowlers in the world for the past few years (right now ranked 12th and Southee 22nd)

Howsie

International Captain
NZ is unlikely to pick Southee-Boult-Henry and Aus is unlikely to pick Harris-Johnson-Starc.
Yep, sadly that will more than likely be the case. No doubt chucker Mills will be rolled out all through the World Cup. That way when we get to a big game, and say get rolled for 200 we're relying on Southee to take 6 or 7 himself. Need quality fire power this tournament, not back of a length 1-50 bowlers to go along with out unthreatening spinner in McCullum.

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
Yep, sadly that will more than likely be the case. No doubt chucker Mills will be rolled out all through the World Cup. That way when we get to a big game, and say get rolled for 200 we're relying on Southee to take 6 or 7 himself. Need quality fire power this tournament, not back of a length 1-50 bowlers to go along with out unthreatening spinner in McCullum.
I think you're doing an injustice to Mills (except for the chucking part) in relation to his performance. He's been pretty good.

I agree though, Boult and Henry are just straight up better bowlers, whatever the format.

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
get your story together dan. jeez

what if england picks trott
I realise directed at Dan but will make a comment.
Initially I was against Trott altogether - now I have come around to thinking if he can be persuaded to open the batting then he could be a real Asset.
I just don't think you want him batting after the 40th over and if he opens he will probably be out by then.

Howsie

International Captain
What's Mills done wrong? Apart from being one of the top ODI bowlers in the world for the past few years (right now ranked 12th and Southee 22nd)
He's no Boult or Southee, and he sure as hell ain't a third seamer. Picking up 2/50 every ODI in meaningless games might be okay but come the World Cup it ain't good enough for an opening bowler. I think over the last 18 months I can remember one innings where Mills picked up more than two wickets. That's rubbish.

Dan

Hall of Fame Member
Yeah MitchM is basically the NZ answer to Starc -- seriously good on his day, but liable for a 10-0-72-0 spell every so often.

Oh and Mills will be banned by the time this rolls around :ph34r:

grecian

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I realise directed at Dan but will make a comment.
Initially I was against Trott altogether - now I have come around to thinking if he can be persuaded to open the batting then he could be a real Asset.
I just don't think you want him batting after the 40th over and if he opens he will probably be out by then.
He was an huge asset at number 3, consistency in actually scoring runs quite good for a batsman I reckon. We've missed him hugely since he's been gone.

Having said that I worry about a recall, going to the place he had troubles before, and with the big pressure of the World Cup.

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
He's no Boult or Southee, and he sure as hell ain't a third seamer. Picking up 2/50 every ODI in meaningless games might be okay but come the World Cup it ain't good enough for an opening bowler. I think over the last 18 months I can remember one innings where Mills picked up more than two wickets. That's rubbish.
Well we have about a million warm up games to play over the next 6 months. We will need a platoon of bowlers to get through them to avoid injuries and wear and tear. I think we should be able to pick on form at the end of it.
Southee
Mills
MitchM
Boult
Henry
Bennett
Milne

Rotate all of them,

Probably need to rotate NcCullum at some point too and can only think of DanV as capable.

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
Sodhi is actually not bad in t20 and could be a good ODI bowler too in the way that Imran Tahir has done well. A teasing spinner who'll take wickets but might be a little expensive isn't a bad alternative to have to NcCullum who basically won't take wickets other than by pressure.

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
He was an huge asset at number 3, consistency in actually scoring runs quite good for a batsman I reckon. We've missed him hugely since he's been gone.

Having said that I worry about a recall, going to the place he had troubles before, and with the big pressure of the World Cup.
He needs to be able to lift his game at the fag end of an inning to be a number 3. He lost one game against us despite scoring a century because he didn't prioritise scoring quickly above risking his wicket. As an opener figure he can bat 40 overs - score a century and then get out and let Morgan and company do what they do best.

harsh.ag

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I will be officially supporting New Zealand this time around. As much as I can, that is. I would like to experience that once. But this plan may unravel if India reach the semis. Then I may end up becoming a very sad form of The Hulk.