• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Englands Foreigners

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
You seriously have to question the sanity of Stokes' parents when they move from arguably the most beautiful country on the planet to a complete and utter ****-hole like northern England

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Yeah, this is where it doesn't sit comfortably with me either.

I think once you've played International cricket (any format) then you shouldn't be allowed to then go play for another country. I think the players you mentioned need to make a decision early in their career and stick with it, if they have test cricket aspirations (the Irish) they need to back themselves from the beginning. At the moment it seems like they are hedging their bets.

As for the general topic here, couldn't disagree more with the OP.........it is a non issue and it's high time everyone just got over it.
That would kill associate cricket because the likes of Morgan and Rankin would simply never play for Ireland.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
You seriously have to question the sanity of Stokes' parents when they move from arguably the most beautiful country on the planet to a complete and utter ****-hole like northern England
You willingly live in a desert, so you're in no position to comment.

HitWicket

Cricket Spectator
I'd be happy if this whole argument disappeared from cricket forever, because it really is beyond tedious now. It's always the same, a player who had the nerve to not be born in England is selected and someone comes out of the woodwork with some tiresome bleating about how there are too many foreigners in the team, whilst displaying a total ignorance of how national qualification actually works.

The job of a cricket selector (in theory) is to select a team of players who they believe to be the best players available to them at that point, not to trawl through all of their birthplaces and select them based on them being born in the right place. Being holders of British passports (many since birth) and having served their qualification periods, I have absolutely no issue with them playing for England. Quite frankly, I couldn't give a **** how many players were born overseas or where they were born, provided they're going to do what they've been selected to do.

Last edited:

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
Says the guy whose spent considerable amounts of time living in the UAE.

Edit: GF beat me to it.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
As a rugby fan, however, I get really annoyed when NZ rugby is accused of picking foreigners when Samoan (etc) kids move to NZ with their families when they are 3 years old (or are born in NZ!), and Northern hemisphere 'experts' say we are poaching!!!???!!!!
It partly dates back to the old flexible IRB eligibility regs and the pre-t'interweb, pre-satellite telly, black & white days, tbf.

Back in the day we'd see that guys like Michael Jones, Frank Bunce, Stephen Bachop & Al Ieremia had played tests for Samoa before donning the AB jersey and we'd have no ready way of knowing their personal histories apart from what was reported in our print media.

Flem274*

123/5
Morgan and Rankin who've come through the county set-up? How is that rank?
because if you play international cricket for one country then that should be it - you've nailed your colours to the mast, and now you have to live with the consequences.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
because if you play international cricket for one country then that should be it - you've nailed your colours to the mast, and now you have to live with the consequences.
I highly doubt either would have played for Ireland if that was the rule in place though.

I agree with you in theory but with associates I think a bit of leeway needs to be applied. Who would have benefitted from Dirk Nannes not playing for Netherlands (acknowledging his situation is different) or Morgan, Rankin, Joyce not getting games for Ireland?

Your Ronchi situation is different, and I remember when there were calls for Pothas to get a callup that felt different, uneasy and I wonder if the ECB feel the same as he had a strong case for selection.

Flem274*

123/5
I highly doubt either would have played for Ireland if that was the rule in place though.

I agree with you in theory but with associates I think a bit of leeway needs to be applied. Who would have benefitted from Dirk Nannes not playing for Netherlands (acknowledging his situation is different) or Morgan, Rankin, Joyce not getting games for Ireland?

Your Ronchi situation is different, and I remember when there were calls for Pothas to get a callup that felt different, uneasy and I wonder if the ECB feel the same as he had a strong case for selection.
Yeah as I said earlier I do have sympathy for the Irish players, but tbh I would rather certain players never represent the likes of Ireland at all rather than carry on with the current system where, as PEWS said earlier, there is a cap on how good a minnow player can get before they bugger off in search of greener pastures. I can live with KP, Wagner etc (didn't they both move because they weren't happy with the SA system?) but once you play international cricket for another nation that should be you done, otherwise it just makes the whole concept of representing your nation a joke.

Ireland are hardly innocent as well. They have the dubious pleasure of Hamish Marshall in their side.

edit: another exception I would consider is Zimbabwe since the place is a basket case, but then again there is nothing stopping the likes of a Jarvis, Ballance or CdG living in their current country and playing for the place they call home, if they consider Zimbabwe to still be home.

(unless ZC have some weird rule in place of course)

Last edited:

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
Wasn't Jesse Ryder considering switching to Ireland after how long it took for him to be picked for NZ?

Furball

Evil Scotsman
I'm pretty sure that the Jarvis issue is that he'll be playing for Lancashire as a local using his British passport, which means he has to forsake his international career.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Yeah as I said earlier I do have sympathy for the Irish players, but tbh I would rather certain players never represent the likes of Ireland at all rather than carry on with the current system where, as PEWS said earlier, there is a cap on how good a minnow player can get before they bugger off in search of greener pastures. I can live with KP, Wagner etc (didn't they both move because they weren't happy with the SA system?) but once you play international cricket for another nation that should be you done, otherwise it just makes the whole concept of representing your nation a joke.

Ireland are hardly innocent as well. They have the dubious pleasure of Hamish Marshall in their side.

edit: another exception I would consider is Zimbabwe since the place is a basket case, but then again there is nothing stopping the likes of a Jarvis, Ballance or CdG living in their current country and playing for the place they call home, if they consider Zimbabwe to still be home.

(unless ZC have some weird rule in place of course)
What I hate is that if Rankin hadn't played a couple of T20s for England, he could have played for Ireland against England in Dublin and then switched to playing for England in the ODI series against Australia, yet now that he's represented England he is ineligible for Ireland for 4 years.

That sort of stuff is ludicrous.

I'm not sure what the best solution is. The Ronchi situation was a complete joke, and while I don't think Nannes should ever have been allowed to play for Australia once he'd played for the Netherlands I'm not comfortable with such a hard and fast rule applying as it would **** over some of the associates - Ireland just now, but also potentially Scotland in particular would be the two that would suffer - as their best players would hold off representing their nation in the hope of one day representing England.

Ultimately, it's been better for Irish cricket that Rankin played 37 ODIs and 15 T20Is for them than if he'd never played in order to hopefully one day play for England.

edit: and it's probably been better for Boyd Rankin as well.

Last edited:

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
Ultimately, it's been better for Irish cricket that Rankin played 37 ODIs and 15 T20Is for them than if he'd never played in order to hopefully one day play for England.
agreed.

I think there should be some leniency for associate-test nation situations, but not between two test nations.