• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Best slip fielders

Himannv

International Coach
Brian McMillan was pretty good and he's rarely mentioned when people talk about the best slip fielders.

robelinda

International Vice-Captain
Carl Hooper. He really DIDNT drop any. Amazing ease when taking even the hardest fastest catches off the WI quicks.

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
Mark Waugh is the best I've seen. I'm biased toward Aust, but he was sublime.

Migara

Cricketer Of The Year
Roshan Mahanama is a worthy mention. Dropped some sitters alright, but made up them with absolute blinders.

kyear2

Cricketer Of The Year
Ah, one of my favorite topics.

The best cordons I have seen have been
Lloyd, Richards, Richardson (best 3rd slipper I have seen)
Taylor, Waugh, Warne
Lara, Hooper, Richardson/ Simmons
Smith, Kallis, DeVilliers

Individually there have been so much.

Gregory, Harvey, Simpson, Chappell, Chappell, Waugh, Taylor, Warne, Ponting, Hayden.

Hammond, Cowdrey, Botham, Flintoff, Cook.

Weekes, Sobers, Nurse, Lloyd, Richards, Greenidge, Richardson, lara, Hooper.

Mitchell, Barlow, Goddard, Richards, Procter, McMillan, DeVilliers, Smith.

Inzaman, Younis.

Gavaskar, Azharuddin, Dravid, Laxman.

Jawawardeane.

Flemming.

Sure I have forgotten many names but can't remember everyone. Included Cook as his hands just seem to be so good even though he is jow starting in the position.

Nothing like a fast bowler steaming in gets a big nick and a fabulous take in the cordon completes the act. Similarly nothing more deflating than getting a nick of a key batsman and seeing the opportunity put down in the cordon.

Hallmarks of the great teams. Solid to great opening partnership, ATG No. 3 (or 4), at least two ATG bowlers and a great cordon.

Last edited:

Maximas

Cricketer Of The Year
Dunno if Gully counts but Mike Hussey was pretty damn good.

Matty Hayden became a very good slipper, particularly late in his career

Migara

Cricketer Of The Year
Mark Waugh and Mark Taylor were brilliant off both spin and pace. Azhar and Jayawardane are probably the best slippers off spin bowling. WI and SAf cordons were brilliant against off pace.

Last edited:

Maximas

Cricketer Of The Year
Mark Waugh and Mark Taylor were brilliant against both spin and pace. Azhar and Jayawardane are probably the best slippers against spin bowling. WI and SAf cordons were brilliant against pace.
thought they were meant to work together tbh :p

SeamUp

International Coach
'The Mean Machine' had some slip cordon. Most batsmen didn't bother looking behind, they just walked. Not forgetting the goalkeeper Jet Jennings as keeper as well.

No one budged the 'flycatcher' Alan Kourie from first slip though. One of the better slips fieldsman you will ever likely see. Add that to his all-round abilities to.

One of the favourites with the Joburgers when they played the big game against WP was...

Allan Lamb c Kourie b Rice

Also the young Brian McMillan was so pissed off that when we got into the mean machine team in his early years he couldn't get into the slip cordon that had Graeme Pollock at 2nd or 3rd. Ended up moving off to Cape Town and becoming a WP legend and best all-rounder in the world of the mid 90's and some slip fielder himself.

Last edited:

kyear2

Cricketer Of The Year
'The Mean Machine' had some slip cordon. Most batsmen didn't bother looking behind, they just walked. Not forgetting the goalkeeper Jet Jennings as keeper as well.

No one budged the 'flycatcher' Alan Kourie from first slip though. One of the better slips fieldsman you will ever likely see. Add that to his all-round abilities to.

One of the favourites with the Joburgers when they played the big game against WP was...

Allan Lamb c Kourie b Rice

Also the young Brian McMillan was so pissed off that when we got into the mean machine team in his early years he couldn't get into the slip cordon that had Graeme Pollock at 2nd or 3rd. Ended up moving off to Cape Town and becoming a WP legend and best all-rounder in the world of the mid 90's and some slip fielder himself.
I assume then that you saw Pollock in the slips. How good a slip fielder was he, was never able to get a definitive answer on that. Does he belong in my list above and how about Procter who I have read was pretty good as well?

SeamUp

International Coach
I assume then that you saw Pollock in the slips. How good a slip fielder was he, was never able to get a definitive answer on that. Does he belong in my list above and how about Procter who I have read was pretty good as well?
Graeme wasn't spectacular, he just did the job mainly at 3rd slip. Was never the most mobile (never to keen on running around too much) so made himself at home there.

Procter actually fielded a lot at gully to begin with and moved his way to the slips. Very good slipper. Better than Graeme.

Love your list Kyear2... very comprehensive.

fredfertang

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I did see him a few times at the end of his career when I was too young to appreciate his expertise, but Phil Sharpe is supposedly still the only man to get the nod from the selectors because of his ability as a slipper