Page 46 of 56 FirstFirst ... 364445464748 ... LastLast
Like Tree388Likes

Thread: DoG's Top 100 Test Batsmen - The Top 25

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend smalishah84's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by schearzie View Post
    Of course anyone would rather see everyone bat. But basing one guy off his stats and a few articles and another off of what you've seen isn't right.
    And smalishah's avatar is the most classy one by far Jan certainly echoes the sentiments of CW

Yeah we don't crap in the first world; most of us would actually have no idea what that was emanating from Ajmal's backside. Why isn't it roses and rainbows like what happens here? PEWS's retort to Ganeshran on Daemon's picture depicting Ajmal's excreta

International Vice-Captain watson's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by schearzie View Post
    Of course anyone would rather see everyone bat. But basing one guy off his stats and a few articles and another off of what you've seen isn't right.
    BTW I don't rely only on stats only, for me intangibles matter as well which is why I prefer to have watched the players in question (unless they have had a huge reputation in the past and a lot is available on them). As I mentioned earlier that of all the batsmen that i have seen Viv is the best. And in my list he would rank below Bradman.
    There is no either/or here. The algorithm is:- 'REPUTATION' (eye witness accounts) + 'A LOT AVAILABLE' (statistical accounts) then +/- WATCHED THE PLAYERS (video evidence).

This is how all of us go about assessing cricketers. The reason that video evidence is nice is that it adds extra weight to the eyewitness and statistical accounts and confirms what we already know after reading books and articles. It is the reason that we would love to see film of players like SF Barnes bowling.

Out of the 100 how may have got any of the scores capped? IS it only SRT and BCL? If that is the case, I suggest to uncap the parameters.
    Diuretics are used to look good at TV shows

I played for 20 years in the Lankan team, I did not have any problems as a Tamil - Muralidaran

Quote Originally Posted by HeathDavisSpeed View Post
    Given both players undoubted quality with the bat, and that you've got a cast of ATGs ahead of them in the batting order, you'd have to opt for the better keeper.

So.... Mike Garnham it is?
    Healy or PJ then if last 30 years considered.

Quote Originally Posted by kyear2 View Post
    The point is that everyone on this site knows what his average is without the gloves and he still doesn't make any first or second teams. Even as it is his average is literally brilliant, but he still isn't or wouldn't be seen as the best after Bradman.

But we digress.

So who is next Sobers or Headley. Still have to go with Headley at this juncture.
    IF he averages even 60 with the bat when he retires, he will be sure pick for ATG XI, just based on his average.

No cap for career points and that will bring Lara to 950 and SRT to 916

Quote Originally Posted by Migara View Post
    IF he averages even 60 with the bat when he retires, he will be sure pick for ATG XI, just based on his average.
    I guarantee you he will not regardless of average. People will see him below even a Lara with an average of 52 and some probably still below G Pollock who only played 24 tests. I personally would still have him below Ponting as well. If average was everything Kallis would also be an automatic first team selection. Thankfully it's not.
    Aus. XI
    Simpson^ | Hayden | Bradman | Chappell^ | Ponting | Border* | Gilchrist+ | Davidson3 | Warne4^ | Lillee1 | McGrath2

W.I. XI
    Greenidge | Hunte | Richards^ | Headley* | Lara^ | Sobers5^ | Walcott+ | Marshall1 | Ambrose2 | Holding3 | Garner4

S.A. XI
    Richards^ | Smith*^ | Amla | Pollock | Kallis5^ | Nourse | Waite+ | Procter3 | Steyn1 | Tayfield4 | Donald2

Eng. XI
    Hobbs | Hutton*^ | Hammond^ | Compton | Barrington | Botham5^ | Knott | Trueman1 | Laker4 | Larwood2 | Barnes3

Only WI players should be rated higher.

Quote Originally Posted by akilana View Post
    No you've got that wrong.

Players with similar statistical claims to ATG WI players should also be rated higher, for the sake of the argument. They shouldn't be rated higher than the WI players themselves though because West Indies never lost a series when Malcolm Marshall opened the bowling and the average global temperature has risen as the amount of sea-dwelling pirates has fallen.
    smalishah84 and Dan like this.
    ~ Cribbage

Quote Originally Posted by Riggins View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by simonlee48 View Post
    Sanga has done well but Murali has done better. In my opinion, Murali is simply the best off spinner in history of cricket and I can't make that kind of statement for Sanga.
    Sanga isn't the best off spinner in the history of cricket? News to me.

Quote Originally Posted by kyear2 View Post
    I guarantee you he will not regardless of average. People will see him below even a Lara with an average of 52 and some probably still below G Pollock who only played 24 tests. I personally would still have him below Ponting as well. If average was everything Kallis would also be an automatic first team selection. Thankfully it's not.
    Yeah, we know you have rose tinted views. But there are many who are reasonable.

International Vice-Captain MW1304's Avatar
    Yeah, we know you have rose tinted views. But there are many who are reasonable.

Request Your Custom Title Now! Flem274*'s Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Prince EWS View Post

Players with similar statistical claims to ATG WI players should also be rated higher, for the sake of the argument. They shouldn't be rated higher than the WI players themselves though because West Indies never lost a series when Malcolm Marshall opened the bowling and the average global temperature has risen as the amount of sea-dwelling pirates has fallen.
    You forgot that a higher strike rate renders all other factors irrelevant
    smalishah84, ankitj and Coronis like this.
    Quote Originally Posted by Athlai View Post
    Jeets doesn't really deserve to be bowling.
    Quote Originally Posted by Athlai View Post
    Well yeah Tendy is probably better than Bradman, but Bradman was 70 years ago, if he grew up in the modern era he'd still easily be the best. Though he wasn't, can understand the argument for Tendy even though I don't agree.
    Proudly supporting Central Districts
    RIP Craig Walsh

Quote Originally Posted by akilana View Post
    Do you even come here to contribute and construct posts or just to make snarky responses to mine.
    Quote Originally Posted by Prince EWS View Post

Less said to that the better.

But I have posted many positive comments here for many non west indian players and critised many west indian players, but feel free to harp on about one post.

Really?

From you thats rich.

Hall of Fame Member honestbharani's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Flem274* View Post
    You forgot that a higher strike rate renders all other factors irrelevant

If you had posted this as a reply to BeeGee's post, it would have been gold..
    We miss you, Fardin. :(. RIP.
    Quote Originally Posted by vic_orthdox View Post
    In the end, I think it's so utterly, incomprehensibly boring. There is so much context behind each innings of cricket that dissecting statistics into these small samples is just worthless. No-one has ever been faced with the same situation in which they come out to bat as someone else. Ever.
    A cricket supporter forever

Member of CW Red and AAAS - Appreciating only the best.

Check out this awesome e-fed:

PWE Efed

International Vice-Captain Riggins's Avatar
    Especially if the game's at the SSC.
    The sort of general malaise that only the genius possess and the insane lament.

Page 46 of 56 FirstFirst ... 364445464748 ... LastLast

Thread Information