• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

It's time to go, Shane Watson.

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
How about just picking the best 11 players regardless of age?
Because at some point you need to invest in the future instead of continually picking someone who's averaging whatever Watson is. Fine, bring in the best player, probably Cosgrove. Or say, "we're getting next to nothing from Watson anyway, might as well pick someone who's 25 with some potential".

Either way.

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
I still pity Watson. He's been allowed to think that he's that good of a batsman.

He just isn't, and never has been.

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
Because at some point you need to invest in the future instead of continually picking someone who's averaging whatever Watson is. Fine, bring in the best player, probably Cosgrove. Or say, "we're getting next to nothing from Watson anyway, might as well pick someone who's 25 with some potential".

Either way.
In less than 5 years (since Aus vs Ind Oct 2008) Australia have give Test debuts to 32 players. England, by contrast, have debuted 15. Throwing players with potential into the Test hasnt been a problem. Knowing and picking the best players has. While talking of openers, Watson, and Aus debuting 32 players in a short period - Who debuted 32 players earlier than Shane Watson? The answer Matthew Hayden, nearly 11 years earlier.

IMO, Aus' problem hasnt been throwing people in to Test but recognizing who their best players are.

fredfertang

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I wonder why Ponting's butt is so tightly clenched...
This is an excellent question which I am surprised no one has attempted to deal with - personally I have no idea, but presume the answer is somehow linked to the fact that despite still being clearly the best batsman in Australia he's no longer playing - were it that the cameraman had a wider angled lens I would have expected to see Hussey striking a similar pose

uvelocity

International Coach
In less than 5 years (since Aus vs Ind Oct 2008) Australia have give Test debuts to 32 players. England, by contrast, have debuted 15. Throwing players with potential into the Test hasnt been a problem. Knowing and picking the best players has. While talking of openers, Watson, and Aus debuting 32 players in a short period - Who debuted 32 players earlier than Shane Watson? The answer Matthew Hayden, nearly 11 years earlier.

IMO, Aus' problem hasnt been throwing people in to Test but recognizing who their best players are.
disagree. please see below for list of test standard batsmen to debut after shane watson;

• michael hussey
  • david warner (just makes the list)

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
or maybe it's the fact that they haven't given anyone a solid shot in the team in a single batting position?

Maximas

Cricketer Of The Year
The problem is you can't have a clean-out now, Burns, Doolan, Silk and all the rest aren't ready to step in, even if it was a clean-out. I have no idea what options Australia are left with outside of the current team, Warner and Cowan would ad very little IMO. Just have to hope Aus does OK in the second dig and the rest of the series.

fredfertang

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Even without the step of trying to lure their best batsmen out of retirement surely the selectors could reach some common ground with Mark Cosgrove - until they do either or both they don't really deserve anything better

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
Cosgrove never having played a test with the way our batting has collapsed in the last 12 mths is ridiculous. Just get the **** in the team, and bat people in their correct spots as much as possible.

Rogers
Warner
Khawaja or Hughes
Cosgrove
Clarke
Smith

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
Damien Martyn is still probably a better batsman than he is commentator, and he's in the UK as well, May as well give him a go.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
Remember when we all used to get annoyed with the continued selection of Marcus North? Suddenly his record is looking solid in comparison to the little rudiger's currently in the Australian lineup.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
Do Australia really not have anyone better to open than Watson?

I don't even think he's that terrible, but at the same time, it's been obvious for a long time now that he's not really very good either.