• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** New Zealand in England series 2013

U19 12th Man
Kiwis would be well in this series with Vettori imo. You can see the pieces were there to threaten again but they've just found themselves in a hole in half a session that could maybe have been managed with what he brings. On the other side of the fence, England's form is uninspired, and I am liking this. Stage set for an ambush on day one at Trent Bridge

Scaly piscine

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Kiwis would be well in this series with Vettori imo. You can see the pieces were there to threaten again but they've just found themselves in a hole in half a session that could maybe have been managed with what he brings. On the other side of the fence, England's form is uninspired, and I am liking this. Stage set for an ambush on day one at Trent Bridge
Err no.

You do realise England have been playing against New Zealand as though it is an audition and warm-up for The Ashes?

The thing that most bothers me about it is they should be treating it as an opportunity to claw back ground on the number 1 spot and to improve. The mid term focus should be on that, the short term focus should be on beating whoever is in front of them in the most ruthless and professional way possible.

It seems like England have gone back to 5-10 years ago when they were content just to beat Australia.

Adders

Cricketer Of The Year
Both. Maybe could have declared at lunch but not fussed really. Not bad when people criticise you for dominating a match is it?
Can't agree with you on this point flibberty. We're not here to dominate tests, we're here to win them.

Hate saying this but I can't help but think for once we've got the cattle but we are still lacking the mongrel, the self belief and the confidence that we can and should win every test match we play.

I reckon Ricky Ponting was the most conservative Aussie captain in recent times and I was hugely critical of his captaincy........don't believe even he would have batted his team out of a win like this.

I don't mind that we didn't enforce the follow on, I don't even mind Trotts innings to an extent........we threw away this test away by batting on for probably an hour too long and with defensive fields when we had runs on the board to burn.

We'll never be No 1 for any period with this mindset.

Days of Grace

International Captain
New Zealand don't deserve to draw this match but hell, the weather has thrawted us and all other teams in the past, so I'll take it if the rest of the day is rained out.

Have to say that England almost don't deserve to win either. I'm detecting a real head in the sand attitude in their camp regarding the weather forecast and the declaration.

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Can't agree with you on this point flibberty. We're not here to dominate tests, we're here to win them.

Hate saying this but I can't help but think for once we've got the cattle but we are still lacking the mongrel, the self belief and the confidence that we can and should win every test match we play.

I reckon Ricky Ponting was the most conservative Aussie captain in recent times and I was hugely critical of his captaincy........don't believe even he would have batted his team out of a win like this.

I don't mind that we didn't enforce the follow on, I don't even mind Trotts innings to an extent........we threw away this test away by batting on for probably an hour too long and with defensive fields when we had runs on the board to burn.

The key to being No 1 is having the best bowlers, and since having the best bowlers makes aggressive tactics much sounder, the number 1 team also tends to use aggressive tactics.

In other words, you become the best, and then you use aggressive tactics because that's the right thing to do when you're the best. But you don't become the best by using aggressive tactics. That's putting the horse before the cart.

Howe_zat

Audio File

This is just nonsense. Personally, I'm disappointed that they haven't done everything they could to try and win the game. But the idea that WIN EVERYTHING is the ideal "mindset" to look ahead to the next series is rubbish. Being pragmatic and focusing on the big picture is precisely why they're happy to take the 1-0.

Putting every energy into taking whatever win you can without looking at indivual performances is a fan mindset. Which is not a bad thing in itself, but coming from the professionals it'd be insecure more than anything else.

flibbertyjibber

^Soccer mentality. Goal up and park the bus.
Thing is Boult broke down straight away, had that been Anderson a few weeks away from the ashes then everyone would have been on at Cook/Flower for sending them in again when we could have batted and secured a series win and rested the bowlers for the 2nd innings. I am happy with how it has panned out, may well be enough time to win anyway so people can then STFU.

the big bambino

International Captain
Thing is Boult broke down straight away, had that been Anderson a few weeks away from the ashes then everyone would have been on at Cook/Flower for sending them in again when we could have batted and secured a series win and rested the bowlers for the 2nd innings. I am happy with how it has panned out, may well be enough time to win anyway so people can then STFU.
No probs with batting again. I'm instinctively against enforcing the follow on. Eng batted too long in the 2nd dig though.

flibbertyjibber

No probs with batting again. I'm instinctively against enforcing the follow on. Eng batted too long in the 2nd dig though.
Batted too long because Trott batted badly in the evening session on day 3. Could have declared at lunch but would 30 minutes have made that big a difference?

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
England batted an hour too long. And Cook was batting with Trott, he could have told him to up his rate. He obviously wasn't fussed.

Its not that big a deal, but the fact people are refusing to admit that Cook clearly batted too long here is a little odd. They were never going to lose, and a test match is a test match. Its particularly surprising this coming from England fans, who value test cricket so highly.