Page 2 of 181 FirstFirst 12341252102 ... LastLast
Like Tree22Likes

Thread: **Official English County Cricket 2013**

Difficult one that but could really do with Buttler keeping.

Cricket Web Staff Member stumpski's Avatar
    As I said in the close season thread about the two keepers at Hants, there are plenty of matches during the season and there's no reason why both shouldn't get plenty of time behind the sticks. Kieswetter to keep in 4 dayers and Buttler in the 40 and 20 over games, perhaps?

MCC doing rather better in the follow-on with a 100 for one of England's forgotten men, Joe Denly. 24 overs for Laurie Evans, a player who only sent down six overs in his previous 13 matches, looks odd though.

Quote Originally Posted by stumpski View Post
    As I said in the close season thread about the two keepers at Hants, there are plenty of matches during the season and there's no reason why both shouldn't get plenty of time behind the sticks. Kieswetter to keep in 4 dayers and Buttler in the 40 and 20 over games, perhaps?

MCC doing rather better in the follow-on with a 100 for one of England's forgotten men, Joe Denly. 24 overs for Laurie Evans, a player who only sent down six overs in his previous 13 matches, looks odd though.
    But why? CK isn't that good a 'keeper after years of doing it. Prior is doing quite well at tests, and should be for a while. CK scored serious runs last year in the Championship, let him go for a pure batting place, England are struggling there, let Jos keep for the future.
    Do I contradict myself?
    Very well then I contradict myself,
    (I am large, I contain multitudes.
    Walt Whitman

Cricket Web Staff Member stumpski's Avatar
    I was just talking about Somerset, not England - I haven't seen a lot of Buttler's keeping but is he good enough to do it week in, week out, in all three formats? He may not even want to do that.

Cricketer Of The Year Cabinet96's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by grecian View Post
    But why? CK isn't that good a 'keeper after years of doing it. Prior is doing quite well at tests, and should be for a while. CK scored serious runs last year in the Championship, let him go for a pure batting place, England are struggling there, let Jos keep for the future.
    Yeah I think you make a decent point about CK trying to get in as a batsman. I have no issue with Somerset wanting Kieswetter to keep all formats, because I do think he is a better keeper, but a season full of runs is probably the only way for CK to get into the test side, because, lets face it, the keeper role is kinda shut for anyone else. Obviously being away from the gloves makes it easy to get runs for most, so I'm tempted to think CK should go for it.

I was just talking about Somerset, not England - I haven't seen a lot of Buttler's keeping but is he good enough to do it week in, week out, in all three formats? He may not even want to do that.
    I was talking about somerset too, I think in the end it could mean more runs for Ck, and I believe Jos is potentially a better 'keeper.

I really don't see Buttler as any worse with the gloves than Kieswetter, they both did it from the start of their careers, so neither are make-shift, yet I prefer JB's footwork, and Craig has spent many years to look that ordinary behind the stumps.

Cricket Web Staff Member / Global Moderator Neil Pickup's Avatar

"The Bears weren't helped by the loss to injury of main spin bowler Paul Best [back problem] and his intended back-up Ateeq Javed [thigh strain], leaving Laurie Evans to bowl a marathon spell of spin, which he's never previously delivered in first-class cricket."

From BBC Warwickshire.
    MSN Messenger: minardineil2000 at hotmail dot com | AAAS Chairman
    CricketWeb Black | CricketWeb XI Captain
    ClarkeWatch: We're Watching Rikki - Are You?

Up The Grecians - Exeter City FC

Completing the Square: My Cricket Web Blog

International Vice-Captain

International Debutant Viscount Tom's Avatar
    Pretty decent signing for Lancs reckon he'll do well in division 2.
    AT-XI
    #J.Hobbs; #L.Hutton; #D.Bradman; #V.Richards; #G.Sobers; #A.Border; #A.Gilchrist; #K.Miller; #I.Khan; #S.Warne; #M.Marshall;

Cricket Web Staff Member Woodster's Avatar
    Lancs needed to strengthen the batting and Katich and Prince should be ideal and certainly gives them a more solid look in the batting department now, and not before time. The fact both are in the twilight of their careers might not be perfect and will only be short-term but it should be enough to propel them back into the top division.

I don't think those two are going to make Lancs particularly exciting to watch when attempting to set big first innings totals but they should be extremely effective.
    http://batallday.blogspot.com/ - Cricket blog dedicated to domestic cricket.

Querl is playing today and played last week for Hampshire in warmup games so he is presumably close to gaining a contract. Hampshire's seam bowling attack is their weakest point iyam so it makes sense if they think his action is ok etc.

Well already got Ajmal coming later in the season so guess it is no issue.

Seam bowling definetly the weak point as you say.

Quote Originally Posted by Pothas View Post
    Well already got Ajmal coming later in the season so guess it is no issue.

Seam bowling definetly the weak point as you say.
    yes Querl won't be an overseas player if he signs. Still as long as the Ajmal deal doesn't fall through(which is definitely plausible given the PCB) Hampshire do look strong and capable of promotion. Balcombe is a good seamer, Tomlinson alright and Wood is promising but the rest seem average. Not sure Carberry cares too much anymore about 4 day cricket. but the squad has more experience and class than most of the other teams so it really should go up.

Cricket Web Staff Member Woodster's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by theegyptian View Post
    yes Querl won't be an overseas player if he signs. Still as long as the Ajmal deal doesn't fall through(which is definitely plausible given the PCB) Hampshire do look strong and capable of promotion. Balcombe is a good seamer, Tomlinson alright and Wood is promising but the rest seem average. Not sure Carberry cares too much anymore about 4 day cricket. but the squad has more experience and class than most of the other teams so it really should go up.
    There is a reasonable chance that Carberry's focus may change slightly to LO cricket with him having little, or more realistically, no chance of adding to his solitary Test cap. Certainly in terms of financial security for the retirement years he will want to stand out in the T20 format, but for all Hampshire's supposed strength in the batting department I still think he is integral to them should they target finishing in one of the two available promotion spots in the CC.

With his ability to bat long periods and set up an innings and a match, it will allow the more inconsistent but talented players such as Vince, Ervine, Dawson and exciting signing Wheater, the opportunity to play their natural games with slightly less pressure on them. Carberry must improve on his 2012 form though.

Neil McKenzie is important but much of the CC campaign will have been played out by the time he arrives in June, leaving overseas player George Bailey and skipper Jimmy Adams, alongside Carberry, as the men vital in consistently putting the runs on the board. I think Adams may struggle to repeat the heights he reached last season, and Bailey for me will have less success than his predecessor Katich will at Lancs.

Don't think Carberry has shown any lack of willingness in first class cricket, has just struggled with illness and the injury, if he stays fit all season he should get runs.

The player we really need more runs from is Vince, I like him a lot and he is fantastic to watch but this needs to be a breakthrough year for him in 4 day cricket (pretty sure I said the exact same thing last year.) Does not have to average anything ridiculous, anything over 40 is pretty good in division 2, but needs a lot more than the one score past 50 he managed last season.

Page 2 of 181 FirstFirst 12341252102 ... LastLast

Thread Information