• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** Australia in India 2012/13

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
India are stuffed.. Well played Cowan, Smith and Starc.. As I mentioned earlier, India were bound to be found out against a fired up Aussie team. Plus, having only watched the first session of this test, I guess Ashwin was bound to bowl well and NOT pick up wickets having picked wickets when he was not bowling so well earlier...

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
The cut, paddle sweep, back-foot on/off drive are his primary go to shots against spin, the difference is he usually had 20-30 runs under his belt before the spinners came into bowl, so he used to be set before the spinners came into bowl. Since Dhoni has blocked all his singles he has been forced to play these expansive shots before getting his eye in and that has proved to be his undoing, if you look at it, his defense against spin has been pretty good, all he needs to do is learn to use his feet to spin so he doesn't get bogged down at the start of his innings.
The fact that most of his go-to shots can't be played with a straight bat says it all, does it not? And he doesn't hurt you with those back foot shots, nor can he rotate the strike with them; unless he's cutting.

I'm not the best batsman but isn't that how spinners should be treated?
Don't disagree, but against Test class spinners, he has to have more than just one place to go, or find other ways to score without having to go the bomb.

It's exacerbated further against those guys who spin it away from him too, IMO.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Is Jono the other guy in the crowd? He could give us a wave.
The crowd's better today compared to yesterday. Hopefully tomorrow, on Sunday, there'll be more people. Hate this policy of giving Tests to venues no one goes to...also very annoying that upto thousands upon thousands of tickets are given away as gifts (to politicians, etc) who never show up and even 'sold out games' are played in front of a lot of empty seats (and turn away actual fans).

Haha, Gavaskar conspicuously refraining from mentioning Kapil Dev when talking about Indian bowlers...

Last edited:

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
That's some decent turn by Lyon...

(I just realized Lyon was back in the side....the decision to drop him sucked - good to see him come back).