• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** England in New Zealand series 2013

Howe_zat

Audio File
They have Tredders in the squad, so they've probably decided it's a spare spot, and more coach-on-Root action is good.

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
Ellis seems to score runs every time I check Plunket Shield scorecards, and his bowling looked respectable in the ODIs I've seen. So I wondered if he was maybe at the head of that queue (it's not that long ago that Sam Wells was in that position and look where he is now...)
Ellis has always been a bowling allrounder and still typically bats 7 for Canterbury - imo any bowler that wants to be considered an allrounder at international level should be batting 5 or 6 for their domestic side. Perhaps he could keep it tight as 4th seamer for NZ but can't see him taking wickets or scoring runs - so someone else could surely contribute more. Plus he's 30 so it's not like we could reasonably expect him to improve much.

Last edited:

Flametree

International 12th Man
Good for ronchi presumably. Though baz moving to the middle order ****s things up.
If Guptill continues to be in no form at all, and McCullum is definitely going to bat at 5... who the hell will the selectors pick to open??????????????

benchmark00

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I saw that video that I think you posted the other day, where it had him playing and talking over the top in an interview, and he looked like trash. Has he regressed a very big amount? Looked absolute village and it was a surprise to see him get bowled. If he's going to play like that at international level he's not missed.

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
So as for our other is-he-available/is-he-not player, first test starts March 6. Vettori would need to play at least two, preferably three FC matches for Northern Districts before he could be considered fit imo (there's also the England vs NZ XI warmup match starting Feb 27). So he needs to play in the match starting 7 Feb vs Canterbury, or at the latest in the match starting 14 Feb vs Wellington. That's pretty soon.

Considering there' hasn't been much heard from Vettori about this, it's looking quite unlikely.

Flem274*

123/5
I saw that video that I think you posted the other day, where it had him playing and talking over the top in an interview, and he looked like trash. Has he regressed a very big amount? Looked absolute village and it was a surprise to see him get bowled. If he's going to play like that at international level he's not missed.
He cbf at lower levels. Just goes for it. He's never been the biggest mover of his feet but when he was playing test cricket semi-regularly he displayed patience, stillness and kept his head.

Jesse Ryder 200 against India - YouTube

Probably a ppoor example since it only has the boundaries but its the only footage I can find and he isn't doing any of the backing away and wafting he's doing atm.

He's screwed if he brings his current attitude to international level.

Last edited:

Days of Grace

International Captain
Disappointed but I guess it's good to see him sticking to his goals. Hope he comes back soon, though, because's he's already 28, which is usually the beginning of the peak years for a batsman.

I also hope he comes back soon, because he looks so horrible playing against domestix bowlers at the moment.

Flem274*

123/5
McCullum moving into the middle order when he's our best opener (damning with faint praise etc) and Flynn moving to open when he's been poop in the top order previously and isn't prolific at 4-6 is so headdesk.

I guess we'll be seeing this team then if no Vettori

Flynn
Fulton/Guptill
Williamson
Taylor
McCullum (c)
Brownlie
Watling (wk)
Bracewell
Southee
Boult
Spinner

Last edited:

Mike5181

International Captain
My ideal team, without Ryder/Vettori:

1. Daniel Flynn
2. Brendon McCullum (c)
3. Kane Williamson
4. Ross Taylor
5. Dean Brownlie
6. BJ Watling
7. Luke Ronchi+
8. Doug Bracewell
9. Tim Southee
10. Trent Boult
11. Spinner (Most probably, Bruce Martin)

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
My ideal team, without Ryder/Vettori:

1. Daniel Flynn
2. Brendon McCullum (c)
3. Kane Williamson
4. Ross Taylor
5. Dean Brownlie
6. BJ Watling
7. Luke Ronchi+
8. Doug Bracewell
9. Tim Southee
10. Trent Boult
11. Spinner (Most probably, Bruce Martin)
Yup agree with this.

Will be struggling with just Williamson as fifth bowler though.