• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** England in New Zealand series 2013

Binkley

U19 Captain
No, save Southee for the tests so they don't get a good look at him please
Playing another first-class match would be much better preparation for the tests as well.

And didn't management in South Africa say they were going to keep the test match bowlers out of the T20s and ODIs because it ruins their test match lengths? Or does that rule only apply to Doug Bracewell?

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
Moreover, it doesn't help that he's seen as a massive under-achiever, as he's failed to live up to his early career heroics against Australia. Compounding the frustration is the manner of his failures, which are typical of aggressive batsmen across the world, but that doesn't make them any less good fodder for a baying public.
McCullum's one of the best in the world in T20Is, so he's not underachieving there. In ODIs hopefully we'll see the best of him now he's batting at 6. His opening in ODIs ultimately unsuccessful because he ended up playing the accumulator role as our middle and lower middle order was too weak to risk really hitting out in the first 10-15 overs. We also don't seem to be seeing as many 300+ pitches in ODIs around the world as we did 5 years ago, plus now have the new-ball-at-both-ends thing, so that makes early aggression more difficult.

Has McCullum underachieved in tests? He certainly has always had top-level ball-hitting ability - I remember years ago when we were repeatedly getting knocked over by Brett Lee and anyone else that bowled fast, and I realised that only Fleming and McCullum in our top-7 had the physical reaction speed to have any sort of chance against bowling that speed. I still don't think he has a particularly solid defensive technique though, but I find it hard to pinpoint what I don't like about it. One thing compared to top level batsman is that his head is not as still when he defends. He often plays the ball in quite an exaggerated manner but he's not Ricky Ponting or Brian Lara so can't get away with that. I believe he's also been described on this forum as 'still a lazy hack outside offstump' which is probably not unfair. So I think part of that favoured aggressive batting approach is not because he's stupid but because he knows sooner or later the defense is going to fall over against any sort of quality bowling, and he's a better chance to attack and try to put the bowler under pressure. This hasn't really worked though. It's tough being a test batsman and especially being a test opener. Many pare back their games to an absolute bare-basics level that just works; McCullum obviously doesn't want to do that and it may not work even if he did.

This is not to say his mental approach has been close optimal either - the charge and spoon a catch to point against Ohja in the first test vs India with barely a sighter before it was a perfect example of that. Though thinking back further I didn't mind it when he slashed a catch in one of the tests against Australia when on 30, as it was a difficult pitch, the bowlers were inexperienced and that aggressive approach had legs in my opinion. McCullum's always had a problem choosing the right situation to attack.

Looks like he'll now have the cushy middle order role but I'm still expecting him to average just high 30s against top-8 sides. That said I'm expecting a decent home series against England on our pitches - couple of fifties, maybe even a hundred.

Mike5181

International Captain
He should be averaging 33 in ODIs, and 37 in tests imo. There's no problem with T20Is, he's world class there.

Blakey

State Vice-Captain
This in today's Herald re Southee

"We don't want him to play against England before the first test. He's tracking well and we don't want to give them a look at him," Littlejohn.

Days of Grace

International Captain
So, why has Southee been added to the ODI squad if we "don't want England to have a look at him?"

Boult and Rutherford in as straight swaps for Mitch and Guppy. We won't lose that much, although Rutherford is an unknown quantity and Boult is dodgy with leaking runs in L/O.

Well done, McCullum last night. I think he should forever stick to no.5/no.6 in tests and ODIs from now on. ODIs have changed in the last year and a bit, as Straw Man posted. Two new balls and there the days of scoring 90 off the first 15 overs with players like Jayasuriya and Kalu seem to have gone. Instead, we seem to have come full circle with scores of 60/1 off 15 overs now being seen as a very solid start.

However, I think it is very dangerous to place too much emphasis on the powerplay. There is now only one less fielder in the deep so it doesn't really give the batsmen as many opportunities as before.

Therefore, I was pleased with the way McCullum played during the powerplay last night. He put the bad balls away (England bowled way too many short balls at him) but didn't try to hit every ball out of the park, which has been the undoing of many teams when the powerplay is on.

Hope we can win again on Wednesday. Need some consistency.

Mike5181

International Captain
What's the point of calling him into the squad if he's not going to play? Just play him imo. He'll have the warm up game before the test series to adjust to the longer format, just like all the other bowlers. If we win this ODI series we'll probably move up to 7th in the rankings.

Blain

U19 Captain
I would have prefered Butler to come in, let Southee play another FC match to get his fitness right.

But now that he is in the squad, it would be silly not to play him, really.

KungFu_Kallis

International 12th Man
McCullum's one of the best in the world in T20Is, so he's not underachieving there. In ODIs hopefully we'll see the best of him now he's batting at 6. His opening in ODIs ultimately unsuccessful because he ended up playing the accumulator role as our middle and lower middle order was too weak to risk really hitting out in the first 10-15 overs. We also don't seem to be seeing as many 300+ pitches in ODIs around the world as we did 5 years ago, plus now have the new-ball-at-both-ends thing, so that makes early aggression more difficult.

Has McCullum underachieved in tests? He certainly has always had top-level ball-hitting ability - I remember years ago when we were repeatedly getting knocked over by Brett Lee and anyone else that bowled fast, and I realised that only Fleming and McCullum in our top-7 had the physical reaction speed to have any sort of chance against bowling that speed. I still don't think he has a particularly solid defensive technique though, but I find it hard to pinpoint what I don't like about it. One thing compared to top level batsman is that his head is not as still when he defends. He often plays the ball in quite an exaggerated manner but he's not Ricky Ponting or Brian Lara so can't get away with that. I believe he's also been described on this forum as 'still a lazy hack outside offstump' which is probably not unfair. So I think part of that favoured aggressive batting approach is not because he's stupid but because he knows sooner or later the defense is going to fall over against any sort of quality bowling, and he's a better chance to attack and try to put the bowler under pressure. This hasn't really worked though. It's tough being a test batsman and especially being a test opener. Many pare back their games to an absolute bare-basics level that just works; McCullum obviously doesn't want to do that and it may not work even if he did.

This is not to say his mental approach has been close optimal either - the charge and spoon a catch to point against Ohja in the first test vs India with barely a sighter before it was a perfect example of that. Though thinking back further I didn't mind it when he slashed a catch in one of the tests against Australia when on 30, as it was a difficult pitch, the bowlers were inexperienced and that aggressive approach had legs in my opinion. McCullum's always had a problem choosing the right situation to attack.

Looks like he'll now have the cushy middle order role but I'm still expecting him to average just high 30s against top-8 sides. That said I'm expecting a decent home series against England on our pitches - couple of fifties, maybe even a hundred.
Quality analysis. Who are you? :ph34r:

Blain

U19 Captain
Oh, btw, get rid of Ellis. Seriously, I cant believe how many leg side balls and bouncers he bowled, at 125kph, lucky not to go for 80. Solid domestic player, but not good enough with either bat or ball to justify a spot for the Blackcaps. I'd take Neesham over him any day. Has more talent with bat and ball, can bowl 135 consistantly and is young. Same can be said with Anderson, but he is coming back from injury still. I would go for the next game;

Rutherford
Watling
Williamson
Taylor
B Mac
Franklin
Neesham
N Mac
Southee
Mills
Boult/Butler

Kippax

Cricketer Of The Year
This is pretty weird too, sounds like it might be the likes of a Henry or Sodhi bowling to the English next week rather than those right in line for selection...

New Zealand's 12 for Queenstown will be named tomorrow and Littlejohn confirmed yesterday that it will be more in the nature of a developmental squad, rather than a New Zealand "A" set-up.

Littlejohn said there could be a couple of test batsmen picked for Queenstown, but the bowling group was more likely to be comprised of players pressing towards the national team in the future.

"We're looking at the next crop of young players with potential," he said.

One player who doesn't fall into that category but might well be asked to play in Queenstown is Ross Taylor.

Flem274*

123/5
McCullum's issues are pretty simple imo. He either tries to bat too fast or exaggerates in the other direction and gets bogged down in an attempt to play a gritty knock. He could bat anywhere in the top six based on only technique and ability against pace/spin.

I think he's at his best when his knocks contain lots of quick 1s and 2s.

Played an excellent knock last night though after being dire early on. I didn't think he was going to reach double figures at one point.

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
No, save Southee for the tests so they don't get a good look at him please
This in today's Herald re Southee

"We don't want him to play against England before the first test. He's tracking well and we don't want to give them a look at him," Littlejohn.
:cool:

So, why has Southee been added to the ODI squad if we "don't want England to have a look at him?"
What's the point of calling him into the squad if he's not going to play? Just play him imo. He'll have the warm up game before the test series to adjust to the longer format, just like all the other bowlers. If we win this ODI series we'll probably move up to 7th in the rankings.
So that Bond can make sure he's ready for the tests.

Flem274*

123/5
This is pretty weird too, sounds like it might be the likes of a Henry or Sodhi bowling to the English next week rather than those right in line for selection...
Good move imo. I'm surprised we haven't gone the usual route and picked a who's who of players Howsie hates.

Giving the likes of Henry and Sodhi a crack at a top three side early on will teach them a lot.

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
Boult and Rutherford in as straight swaps for Mitch and Guppy. We won't lose that much, although Rutherford is an unknown quantity and Boult is dodgy with leaking runs in L/O.
I reckon we lose quite a bit tbh. Mitch had been very good at keeping the English batsmen on their toes. I hope Boult can do something similar but in LO cricket is more reliant on the new ball than McClenaghan.

Guptill is also one of our best limited overs batsmen so Rutherford has a lot to live up to there.