• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Who can stop South Africa?

flibbertyjibber

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I'm talking about what you're posting here ffs.
Being told about perspective by someone who says Lyon is better than Swann is funny.

Let me put it in words a 5 year old would understand for you...

South Africa are a very good side, as are England. South Africa are better than England. South Africa are not a GREAT side like Australia were. South Africa might, might suffer the odd blip like England did, doesn't mean they become bad overnight just means they won't dominate like Australia did.

Why won't they dominate? As they aren't a GREAT side like Australia were and haven't got the depth that they had. Like England showed in the summer, a couple of players lose form, touch of infighting and the team becomes vulnerable as they aren't a GREAT side.

Hope that is easy for you to understand.

Last edited:

Burgey

Being told about perspective by someone who says Lyon is better than Swann is funny.

Let me put it in words a 5 year old would understand for you...

South Africa are a very good side, as are England. South Africa are better than England. South Africa are not a GREAT side like Australia were. South Africa might, might suffer the odd blip like England did, doesn't mean they become bad overnight just means they won't dominate like Australia did.

Why won't they dominate? As they aren't a GREAT side like Australia were and haven't got the depth that they had. Like England showed in the summer, a couple of players lose form, touch of infighting and the team becomes vulnerable as they aren't a GREAT side.

Hope that is easy for you to understand.
I understand what youre saying well and good. it's just a pile of **** though. Now you change your tone to reasonable after strutting about earlier in this thread like the school bully who's beaten up the ******** kid that is India.

SA are **** loads better than England. That's the perspective you need to get ffs.

flibbertyjibber

I understand what youre saying well and good. it's just a pile of **** though. Now you change your tone to reasonable after strutting about earlier in this thread like the school bully who's beaten up the ******** kid that is India.

SA are **** loads better than England. That's the perspective you need to get ffs.
I don't think they are ****loads better than us. Would rather play them next summer in a 5 test series than the minnows that are coming over to get thrashed. We were a shambles this year in a crappy short series and they beat us but i'd love to see us take them on again in a longer series soon before Kallis retires. Probably be gone before we meet again though sadly.

benchmark00

I don't think they are ****loads better than us. Would rather play them next summer in a 5 test series than the minnows that are coming over to get thrashed. We were a shambles this year in a crappy short series and they beat us but i'd love to see us take them on again in a longer series soon before Kallis retires. Probably be gone before we meet again though sadly.
So Australia performed considerably better against SA than England did, but...

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
So Australia performed considerably better against SA than England did, but...
... still got beat.

England, meanwhile, couldn't settle on a middle order whatsoever, were ridden by infighting, had a captain on his last legs and therefore a nonentity of an opening partnership, half-fit Swann and/or selectorial brain farts about playing no spinners, Ravi Bopara, and a congenital inability to catch anything hit by Hashim Amla.

Yet with a session to go we still had an outside chance of squaring the series.

EDIT: Please note that I'm not for a moment suggesting we deserved anything other than a shellacking this summer; we were piss-poor and frankly had been ever since the UAE. I am just playing the Devil's Advocate and suggesting that you'd rather be getting beaten because you're playing **** than playing well and still losing...

Last edited:

benchmark00

... still got beat.

England, meanwhile, couldn't settle on a middle order whatsoever, were ridden by infighting, had a captain on his last legs and therefore a nonentity of an opening partnership, half-fit Swann and/or selectorial brain farts about playing no spinners, Ravi Bopara, and a congenital inability to catch anything hit by Hashim Amla.

Yet with a session to go we still had an outside chance of squaring the series.

EDIT: Please note that I'm not for a moment suggesting we deserved anything other than a shellacking this summer; we were piss-poor and frankly had been ever since the UAE. I am just playing the Devil's Advocate and suggesting that you'd rather be getting beaten because you're playing **** than playing well and still losing...
But you still got beat??

Australia have 8 bowlers injured. But I'm sure your unsettled middle order is the better excuse.

All I'm suggesting is that Australia's recent form > Englands, against the best team in the world. So I'm pretty sure the optimism of 'yeah I wish we had another crack at them, we'd smash them' is pretty unfounded considering they only stuffed you mere months ago...

Last edited:

Pothas

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Both series were criminally short, South Africa really should be playing 5 match series against both sides.

Cabinet96

Global Moderator
Both series were criminally short, South Africa really should be playing 5 match series against both sides.
We don't seem them playing anything longer than 3 match series against anyone do we? Strange how they play so few tests compared to everyone else.

flibbertyjibber

But you still got beat??

Australia have 8 bowlers injured. But I'm sure your unsettled middle order is the better excuse.

All I'm suggesting is that Australia's recent form > Englands, against the best team in the world. So I'm pretty sure the optimism of 'yeah I wish we had another crack at them, we'd smash them' is pretty unfounded considering they only stuffed you mere months ago...
Did I say we'd smash them?

Selective memories from ****s on here so often.

Pothas

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Yeah, quite possibly they would have done.

Both series we saw this year were too short, especially as in both cases one test was rain affected.

Would have been really interesting to see after Perth for example to see if South Africa would have gone on to dominate the last two tests, would have told us a lot more about the two teams.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Well, the ECB and CSA signed an agreement that all future series between the two would be 5 Test series after the 2008 series, only for that agreement to be ditched 4 months later when the 2009/10 series was scheduled.

unam

U19 12th Man
The funny thing is that S.A only lost one series out of last 21, yet only a few people know about that. If India or Australia wins one series suddenly the whole world knows about it. No wonder S.A players like Kallis so underrated.

MW1304

Cricketer Of The Year
I think that's overplayed a bit. That stat is impressive, but it ignores the several pretty average results they've had scattered within that run. It means there have been a lot of series draws, especially since 2009. The run they had from 2006-8 was pretty special though, and they look a very impressive outfit at the moment.