• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

**Official** New Zealand in South Africa

Flem274*

123/5
Tbh unless you're an absolute demon with your offstump judgement the only other way I've seen Philander put under pressure is to smash him out of the attack. We definitely need to get him off his line and length because it's simply too good.

If we get out trying to hit him though there will be hell to pay from the media, but provided the ball isn't seaming everywhere attacking him is an option. Mark Gillespie and Trent Boult must have annoyed him a lot in the series down here with their cameo slogging.

NasserFan207

International Vice-Captain
agree with phlegm. His thoroughly mortal (mediocre, in fact) One Day record is solid evidence for that theory.
Said it since day one, Vern looks a completely different player when batters are coming down the pitch, attacking him etc. He loses his composure and starts thinking he's Joel Garner, tries to hard

Mike5181

International Captain
Said it since day one, Vern looks a completely different player when batters are coming down the pitch, attacking him etc. He loses his composure and starts thinking he's Joel Garner, tries to hard
Well we saw it briefly with Dean Brownlie in the first test. He hit a boundary off Philander, and suddenly two more relatively bad balls came his way in the very same over.

wellAlbidarned

International Coach
How many batsmen are willing to risk the ****-storm which would come their way for trying to charge an opening bowler with an average of 17 in the first five overs of a test? yeah. It's not going to happen.

Neil Young

State Vice-Captain
Sounds increasingly likely that Philander will be rested in PE.

SA compared with Oz greats | Sport24

McCullum endorses the current SA attack.
True, or not, McCullum has to say that for several reasons. One of them being '45' and the another to pacify the restless natives back in NZ.

"We were just up against the best bowling attack of all time. Nothing we could do. Honest. I'm a great captain. Mike's a great coach. Honest. It was their bowling attack, you see. The best of all time."

Last edited:

BeeGee

International Captain
All credit to the very dodgy pitch, mate.

Pitch repairs displease referee | Cricket News | Global | ESPN Cricinfo

I remember that game. A chunk of the pitch (right where Vettori was pitching it in the vid) broke up and came out, and overnight the groundstaff glued it back in. In the morning they were ordered to take it back out again. :laugh:

Immenso

International Vice-Captain
This article makes it sound like Wagner's "aggressive net performance" has moved him into contention for the playing XI...
New Zealand in South Africa 2012-13 : Neil Wagner targets his own in bid for return | Cricket News | South Africa v New Zealand | ESPN Cricinfo
Geenty article on Stuff, after I assume watching the same practice, implied the opposite. Wagner unlikely based on the other 4 from first test getting new ball each in training and peppering Mac, Guppy, Flynn and Kane.

Who knows .....

NZTailender

I can't believe I ate the whole thing
Wagner's averaging 34 with the bat in FC cricket this season. Could make a straight swap for Franklin :ph34r:

Blain

U19 Captain
I cant believe that Franko hasnt even come under a bit of fire in the media. Surely they know how **** he has been for us in the last year, and is yet picked over and over? It's not like he is in his mid 20s.

And pretty funny how he is unleashing on the NZ batters with a new ball.. 125ks must be scary stuff! Might as well get Arnel over there as well.