• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Graeme Smith vs Kevin Pietersen - better test batsman?

KP : 88 Matches, 7076 @ 49.48, 21 tons
GS : 102 Matches, 8314@49.78, 25 tons

I'd say it's very close and I might just lean more towards Smith because of his propensity to play well under pressure. He is an absolute monster when the pressure is on, even better than the much heralded VVS Laxman in that regard. And who can forget his temerity to walk out with a broken hand and confront the vicious Australian attack?

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
This will sound odd, but I think Pietersen is a better player, though Smith more likely to give consistent output.

I think Kevin Pietersen, to the extent you can call him English, is the best English batsman I've seen since Gower. Maybe the best I've ever seen. He's the batsman I want out cheapest and quickest. I think he's a better player than any of the 90s Pommie plodders who sometimes get yapped up on here. I think he's a better player than Gooch tbh, which is a big call I know.

In fact, Gower and Boycott are the only two Pommie batsmen I've seen who come close to him as a player. It's all subjective of course, but the rest of them are kidding if they think they're anywhere near the player he is. Pace, swing, seam, spin. Watch him bat; it all comes the same to him. Even 49 seems too low an average for him.

Seems a **** though.

AndyZaltzHair

Hall of Fame Member
KP. He's likely to get the runs in much quicker rate if that matters. I would pay to watch KP than Smith although this can't be a decisive factor in nominating who's the best among them. The thing is KP can force total domination over an attack and won't get easily bogged down. He has the ability to change the course of a match. Smith can really grind out and also attack when needed but it's a joy to watch KP in full flow. I admire Smith's courage though.

grecian

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Another 90s plodder sorry. As I said, all subjective. :p
Just don't see how Thorpe can be seen as a plodder, he also played all bowling well, even SLA:ph34r:

I despise the bigging up of certain players from the 90s on here, but Thorpe was gritty and occasionally brilliant.

Last edited:

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Just don't see how Thorpe can be seen as a plodder, he also played all bowling well, even SLA:ph34r:

I despise the bigging up of certain players from the 90s on here, but Thorpe was gritty and occasionally brilliant.
Yeah I accept he was a very fine player. The best of that time for England. I just rate Pietersen a bit higher.

Thorpe seems a lot less of a **** mind. A lot less.

hazsa19

International Regular
KP has more talent, more shots, is more likely to rip an attack to shreds, everything everyone has already said on here.

However, I would rather have Smith in my team.

L Trumper

State Regular
Smith, and Thorpe was better than KP.
Thorpe was brilliant and best english batsmen of the 90s but by any categorical measure KP is better.

I am more in agreement with burgey. Boycott, KP, Gower, Gooch, Thorpe will be top 5 english bats of last 40 years. Order is probably subjective but I'd say KP will end up being the best along with probably Cook over all others in the group.

Howe_zat

Audio File
Agree with Burgey here, KP is the best batsman I've ever seen play for England. There's a hard to describe discrepancy between how well someone plays and what you typically get from them. Smith hasn't played anywhere near as well as Pietersen can, if that makes sense. A comparison between Smith and Cook would be closer, I think.

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
KP could have been one of the greatest of all time. Could tear an attack to shreds. When KP and Flintoff were 'on' in the 2005 Ashes, I think it was the first time Australia had feared an opponent in a decade.

Smith a consistent performer, and nice bloke. KP an enigmatic genius who seems to be a bit out there.

Completely different players with different roles, so hard to choose.

VCC44

School Boy/Girl Captain
KP probably the better batsman, more likely to go out and destroy an attack. That's when he's in the mood of course. If my life was depending on an innings I would rather it was Smith out in the middle.

VCC44

School Boy/Girl Captain

I total agreement. My earliest cricketing idol and with good reason.

Spooony

Banned
Smith is a team guy. KP not. Also remember SMith opens normally and is the captain as well and has achieved more in his life KP would only dream about. Batting average of 37 against left arm spin mmmmm

uvelocity

International Coach
I agree with the above points, but you should give Smith some points for the fact that he opens, his mental toughness and that he has to concentrate on captaincy as well

Saint Kopite

First Class Debutant
KP could have been one of the greatest of all time. Could tear an attack to shreds. When KP and Flintoff were 'on' in the 2005 Ashes, I think it was the first time Australia had feared an opponent in a decade.

Smith a consistent performer, and nice bloke. KP an enigmatic genius who seems to be a bit out there.

Completely different players with different roles, so hard to choose.
This.

But, If I was really pushed hard to choose one it will be KP.

Mike5181

International Captain
KP has an aura of greatness or presence about him which I think elevates him above guys with the same level of output/average etc. Guys like Trott, Bell, Cook etc may score more runs at times but from an NZ fans perspective, I still think of Pietersen as the 'big wicket.'