• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

English off season 2012/13

Spikey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Jesse Hogan ‏@Jesse_Hogan

Seamer Ben Coles, allrounder Ben Stokes sent home by Eng Lions after repeated "unprofessional conduct" during Aus tour. Both had been warned
disgrace to the nation

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Matt Coles, obv. Jesse fixed his tweet up.

Boys were seen frequenting some popular spots in Melbourne while they were here. You'd imagine it'd be related to those sort of activities.

theegyptian

International Vice-Captain
How many quicks will they take then? Obviously 12 months away but I'd say he's at best 7th or 8th in line.
injuries and anything can happen. got on the indian tour as a replacement and must have been somewhat close to debuting. certainly no guarantee that Tremlett, Bresnan or even Broad will be there given their recent injuries

Re Stokes and Coles.

Not good news but needed to be done. Hopefully this acts as a warning to all the English representative teams and groups around the world. I can't imagine its ever been better to be a english cricketer with all the money the ecb pay out to develop these players - of course it's mutually beneficial but the opportunities and help these players get to better themselves free of charge are immense and they shouldn't forget that.

Stokes may be talented and destructive as a batsman but if he doesn't want to work on his game and piss away his career it's not going to hurt the ECB. Shame he couldn't learn from Rikki Clarke who himself admitted that he kinda took the piss the first half of his career.

Stokes and Coles apologies strike me as bull really. Coles talking about learning his lesson but obviously he didn't or he would have heeded the first official warning.

Hopefully they can go back to county cricket and put in some performances. Doubt they'll be back in the Lions side for a couple of years though.

Funny couple of tweets from Leicestershire's Greg Smith who is in SL at the moment. Bet Stokes and Coles wish they were there.

Greg Smith ‏@greg_smith14

My Sri Lankan coach took me out for lunch today, he had 3 bottles of Carlsberg 2 plates of cuttlefish and half a pack of cigarettes…

and then tried to take me to a brothel before a 3pm practice, just like being back at uni with @GFoxyFowler

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
Matt Coles, obv. Jesse fixed his tweet up.

Boys were seen frequenting some popular spots in Melbourne while they were here. You'd imagine it'd be related to those sort of activities.
That got them a written warning. They don't seem to have taken it remotely seriously.

Not England's loss if they can't get this right.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Coles does have an imbiber's build, tbf. Stocky rather than actually fat, but I could imagine him being properly massive in later life. Rather like another Kent seamer of the recent past in Martin McCague, who had a heroic capacity for alcohol (especially when it came in pints of Guinness form) by all accounts.

fredfertang

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend

Howe_zat

Audio File
From King Cricket

Ricky Ponting’s signed for Surrey. He also got fined the other day for throwing his bat after being dismissed. Mindlessly throwing the bat is how one or two Surrey batsmen approach first-class cricket, so he should fit in well.
ZING

Viscount Tom

International Debutant
Thank god we got promoted last season hopefully a Yorks vs Surrey game at the ground will be there in June July.

Jarquis

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Taylor and Kerrigan the only two coming out with any credibility it seems.

Last edited:

Howe_zat

Audio File
A tour where everything's fallen apart, pretty much. I'd have thought they wouldn't send two players home for misconduct if it wasn't the last straw of some sort.

theegyptian

more crap from the lions. given a **** load of extras away. 18 overs left and Australia probably already have enough runs going on the tour so far.

theegyptian

plenty of different county news today

County news : Adam Wheater forces move to Hampshire | Cricket News | County Cricket 2013 | ESPN Cricinfo
Wheater buys out the last year of his contract to move to Hampshire as wicketkeeper. Something had to happen with Foster, Wheater and Foakes at Essex. Personally I would have let Foster go last season when Hampshire tried to sign him. Seems a good bloke but Essex seem to be the biggest underperformers on the county circuit and Foster as captain has to take some of the blame.

County news : Warkwickshire tempt Sam Hain from Australia to Britain | Cricket News | County Cricket 2013 | ESPN Cricinfo
Warwickshire sign aussie u19 batsman Hain (british parents and born in hong kong). Although according to this article Batting tyro Hain signs two-year Warwicks deal | The Cricketer this deal was done last year.

Nannes and Tait signed up for the T20