• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

It's Tough Being Me - The Kevin Pietersen Story

Hooksey

Banned
Poor KP thought 355 would be enough. The reality was 955 wouldn't have been enough when his file has already been stamped.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Warne's copped a rough run on this thread.

One thing that Warne would never have been accused of by his teammates is not trying.
I think Pietersen's teammates would.

KungFu_Kallis

International 12th Man
Seriously though... the situation did call for some imagination and vision. When the odds are against you sometimes you have to think outside the box. I'd have picked Pietersen at 6 and challenged him to go out and smash it and "entertain the crowds". Most of his best Test innings have been when he's at his most attacking. Jos Buttler at 7 and then your best 4 bowlers, with Root for relief. You can always get rid of him if it doesn't come off.

I always thought half the problem with Pietersen's recent batting form was the pressure he kept putting himself trying to bat properly/sensibly at 4 and getting bogged down. As for team relations I'd just cut him the slack he needs for a short time and treat him as what he is - a mercenary - and just use him for a few Tests this summer, and see what happens. Sure the guy has acted like a douchebag. But the ECB has made it too much into a black and white morality issue and all about the sanctity of the Team England bubble. When really they should be giving themselves the option of being flexible with the selection each game. And not get locked in to this mindset of he's either in or he's out.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
I wonder how much of this is about being stubborn idiots more than any thing. They had issues with KP few months back. They decided they would not have him again no matter what. It's all way in the past. Yet they do not show any wisdom which you require at such positions as it would mean every thing they believe about him would be wrong, if they selected him.

duffer

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend

One thing that Warne would never have been accused of by his teammates is not trying.
Where do you sit on the argument that Warney would have been a better choice as captain than Waugh? Bit off tangent I know but always rated him as the better captain.

harsh.ag

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
That's because they are idiots, would be KP's response. Personally, I can't imagine him not giving it all. Have been told he trains extremely hard. Only thing he could be accused of was trying to be unorthodox for no reason sometimes. But then he is an entertainer. And expecting him to play a KP special more frequently just because he is capable of it makes no sense to me.

OverratedSanity

Request Your Custom Title Now!

Pure assumption.

What's that have to do with anything though? KP's not been sacked for "lack of trying".

Shri

Mr. Glass
A ridiculous calling of the bluff all over the show. It symbolises everything I hate about this saga, it's an example of politicking rather than a legitimate offer (IMO)

Anyone notice how KP referred to Strauss as 'Strauss' all the way through his telegraph column. Really jars with you, can just sense a level of disdain.
He wrote Droos. They later hit ctrl+f in Word and clicked replace 'Droos' with 'Strauss' imo.

OverratedSanity

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Sorry but this was the stance people were taking last year when KP started acting like a tool. What's to say he wouldn't have had a recall but for everything he did since his dropping? Same applies again. He can open his mouth when it's all done and dusted. Even if his chances are 20%, 10% or 1%, why eliminate it and reduce that percentage?

KP may be winning the PR war with the masses but he's not helping himself.
Basically all your posts only make the point that KP is acting like a tool, but nothing about how he'd be that damaging to the team atmosphere to deserve having his career ended.

Also, I'm actually dead sure even mild mannered guys would be mouthing off a bit if they'd been told to go and get county runs to be in the frame for selection, but were then told by the board to piss off once they did. KP is a prick. But how do you not get that in this situation when he's been treated in a frankly disgraceful manner, him acting like a prick is perfectly understandable. It's ironic how you keep saying him being a doos on twitter justifies his sacking. I'm sorry, it just doesn't. His behaviour after being **** on by Strauss and co. does not in any way mean he therefore deserved what he got. It's his behaviour before being sacked that summer (ie) in the Ashes that is in question. You're essentially saying that his reaction to being sacked was dickish that he retroactively deserved the sack. Do you not see how logically flawed that is?

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Where do you sit on the argument that Warney would have been a better choice as captain than Waugh? Bit off tangent I know but always rated him as the better captain.
I don't think that opinion has any basis in reality. Warne's captaincy is a myth IMO, a myth based on what people think he would have been like.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Basically all your posts only make the point that KP is acting like a tool, but nothing about how he'd be that damaging to the team atmosphere to deserve having his career ended.

Also, I'm actually dead sure even mild mannered guys would be mouthing off a bit if they'd been told to go and get county runs to be in the frame for selection, but were then told by the board to piss off once they did. KP is a prick. But how do you not get that in this situation when he's been treated in a frankly disgraceful manner, him acting like a prick is perfectly understandable. It's ironic how you keep saying him being a doos on twitter justifies his sacking. I'm sorry, it just doesn't. His behaviour after being **** on by Strauss and co. does not in any way mean he therefore deserved what he got. It's his behaviour before being sacked that summer (ie) in the Ashes that is in question. You're essentially saying that his reaction to being sacked was dickish that he retroactively deserved the sack. Do you not see how logically flawed that is?
No. The point is, post-sacking, he showed his colours. Eroded his sympathy and made you think 'jesus'. It doesn't justify the sacking but gives you a glimpse into the character which in turn helps you to understand ever so slightly what they may have had to deal with from him in that dressing room for the past 4-5 years. There is zero logic fail in that. In fact, it's perfectly logical.

Guy gets booted for being an arse > Could he really be that bad? > Begins to be a full arse in full view (Matt Prior spat on twitter the finest example) > Jesus, if this is what he was like all the time then no wonder they got rid. I no longer feel sorry for him

This latest tweet doesn't do that but it gives an indication that he's going to go down the same road again.

I never agreed with the sacking at the time. His behaviour afterwards made me not want him back, regardless of if the initial act was justified. But it also made me think there probably was something to it all, after all.

And all this 'Oh well of course KP is going to spit his dummy out now after how he's been treated.' It's a classic case of two wrongs.

It's like if someone's missus leaves him, and he doesn't want her to. He hopes they can work it out, okay maybe he's been a tool in the past and she's had enough. She says that's it. here's the line. It's over. So he can move on with his life, but he doesn't really want to. He feels hard done by. Does he take to facebook to denigrate her, maybe try and sleep with her sister? Because ater all, he did nothing wrong so he's right to lash out, right? Thereby slamming the door shut for good. He'll never know if there was a way back because his behaviour post-separation vindicated her decision in her own mind. Whether or not she was right to begin with.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Dangle a carrot then snatch it away despite him doing what he was asked.
Apart from the scoring runs one really - this is just one innings against very poor opposition, where by all accounts he was lucky to have got past 50.

It's not as if he has 4 tons from 5 knocks.