• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

What's the worst way to be dismissed?

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
"Yes, No, Wait, Oh ****, sorry............that'll teach you not to flirt with my girlfriend you prick...."

adub

International Captain
My worst was chopping down on a yorker first ball of the match, playing it into my foot and having it bounce back onto the stumps. Bastard of a way to get out.

HeathDavisSpeed

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Running yourself out when on 99 has to be up there. I remember Atherton doing it in 1993
I was at that game, and boy was it fabulous to see. Gatting's fault, really. Turning down a trickyish third. Athers should have been able to get back, but his studs caught in the ground, fall over, run out. Laughing heartily for the rest of the day.

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
Getting run out whilst playing your best ever innings because the **** at the other end turns down an easy 2 because he wants some of the strike.

I got down to his end before turning back and only just failed to make my ground because it was a direct hit. :(
I've been involved in some interesting run outs.

1 I was at the non strikers end - the batsman cranked it and it went towards the boundary. I started running - he didn't move because he was convinced it was 4. I got all the way down to his end - told him to run he wouldn't move - so I had to start hustling back and I couldn't make it in time - the ball stopped 2 feet before the boundary.

2 - I ran a guy out twice in a month through bad judgement by me and the fact he wasn't the quickest but it was still my fault. So he ran me out on purpose in a following game.

3 The one that bothered me the most - is that I told my batting partner it was time to pick up the pace (which I will never do again after this bad experience) he decides by himself without discussing it with me that to pick up the pace he will start to abuse the old men we are playing against by hitting it straight to them and running. Except the first person he picks on is 25 years old and I get run out by half the pitch. Was furious with him as I was on 42* at the time.

Other bad dismissals

The ball pitched two feet outside leg stump and them hit me in bang in front of middle on the back leg - and I was fired. I complained to the player umpire but he didn't know the rules.

Getting a crap ball down the leg side and completing my swing to try to hit the ball and having the ball hit the back of my bat on the follow through and being caught behind.

wellAlbidarned

International Coach
Suicidal run-out where you've only got yourself to blame, closely followed by playing a **** stupid shot as a result of some lame sledging.

Last edited:

Migara

Cricketer Of The Year
Playing a sweep on to your stumps. This was one of the leggies bowling, since I wanted to boss the spinners despite being a rabbit with the bat decided to attack. First ball, delvered round the wicket, I used my feet and hit inside out over cover for four. Next one, same length, I decided to sweep fine. I must have not got down low enough for the sweep, and directly swept it on to the legstump from about foot outside legstump. Worse than that, the guy on other end was 70 odd not out.

Spark

Global Moderator
Getting a crap ball down the leg side and completing my swing to try to hit the ball and having the ball hit the back of my bat on the follow through and being caught behind.
I have to say, I'm having a bit of trouble visualising this.

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
Saw that in an U11 game last year. Utterly weird. That and a stumping off a "quick" with the keeper stood back.

We had an interesting LBW yesterday. The boy has a bruise just below his ribcage.

Agent Nationaux

International Coach
There's nothing worse than getting your stump uprooted, whether it's because you left the delivery or it was just an unplayable one.

Inzi's obstruction outs were always funny and his confusion added to the fun. :laugh:

Langeveldt

Soutie
You shouldn't be given out run out if you mistakenly leave your ground thinking you're bowled.

My entry for this one comes from a staff game played earlier this term in torrential rain (one batsman described proceedings as "like taking guard in a chicken curry" and I umpired for several overs beneath an umbrella.

We needed around 12 an over, so I decided I'd use my feet against the spinner. He saw me coming, held it back, I didn't read that at all (nor the fact he'd bowled it from about 25 yards), got nowhere near it, tried to turn back round, lost my footing totally, slipped, and fell face first, chest down in the mud, as my bat flew towards the keeper (who had long since disposed of me).

Not elegant.
Oh, I think I've been dismissed by Neil Pickup? A thought i've deliberatly moved as far away from my mind as possible

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
Think about sweeping, missing it and the ball hitting the back of the bat as you complete your follow through, and flicking it back towards third man.
Thanks Vic - perfect explanation - instead of going to third man it ballooned straight in the air like Spikey said.

The pitch was very slow and the bowler was very slow so I had time to compete my full swing by the time I missed it and before it could pass by the stumps.