Page 4 of 20 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: How good is Sanga?

Eds
    He's an incredible batsman, no doubt.

I just personally find it undeserving to group him in the same class as Richards, Lara, Sobers, Bradman, Hobbs, Tendulkar, and the like. I consider him an ATG, regardless, I just don't think he can be classed as in the same tier as the aforementioned.
    "If that Swann lad is the future of spin bowling in this country, then we're ****ed." - Nasser Hussain, 1997.

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
    Aye, he's 'down' with the likes of Kallis, Dravid, Ponting in his era.

Quote Originally Posted by Eds View Post
    He's an incredible batsman, no doubt.

I just personally find it undeserving to group him in the same class as Richards, Lara, Sobers, Bradman, Hobbs, Tendulkar, and the like. I consider him an ATG, regardless, I just don't think he can be classed as in the same tier as the aforementioned.
    If he is undeserving of being mentioned with those names then he is not an ATG.
    1st XI
    Hutton | Hobbs | Bradman* | Richards^ | Tendulkar | Sobers5^ | Gilchrist+ | Khan3 | Marshall1 | Warne4^ | McGrath2
    2nd XI
    Sutcliffe | Gavaskar* | Headley | Chappell^ | Lara^ | Kallis5^ | Knott+ | Hadlee3 | Ambrose2 | Lillee1 | Muralitharan4
    3rd XI
    Greenidge | Richards^ | Ponting^ | Pollock | Hammond^ | Worrell5* | Waite+ | Akram3 | Steyn1 | Holding2 | O'Reilly4
    4th XI
    Morris | Simpson^ | Sangakkara | Weekes^ | Border*^ | Walcott+ | Faulkner5 | Laker4 | Trueman1 | Garner3 | Donald2

Quote Originally Posted by Psycho Macaque View Post
    Aye, he's 'down' with the likes of Kallis, Dravid, Ponting in his era.
    Behind Ponting and Dravid for sure, and Kallis the All Rounder is also ahead of him, plus there is no comparrison between the home pitches of S.A and S.L. Ponting just isn't that far behind Lara and Sachin and how do you go against the Wall.

Quote Originally Posted by GingerFurball View Post
    His average in India is meaningless. India isn't the acid test of a batsman's ability (and an average of 35 isn't exactly terrible either).

His average in England and South Africa can be taken with a pinch of salt, Sri Lanka's tours to both nations throughout his career have been extremely infrequent.
    But last summer he was clueless until Boucher's fumbling behind the stumps stopped him failing in almost every innings.

He's an elegant, stylish batsman but whenever I've seen him on difficult pitches he's failed. His average is great but batsmen with that high an average should be highly competent in all conditions unless it obscures his true worth because of weight of runs in more benign conditions. Even in Australia, his best performance was that near double ton robbed only by Rudi's incompetence but it was on a flatter than flat pitch in Hobart.

I would not quite put him the flat track bully category with Mahela and Sehwag but he's not that far above it either.

Request Your Custom Title Now! Flem274*'s Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Psycho Macaque View Post
    Sanga isn't in the echelons that the true greats move in. He likes to dine out on a dead track.
    Nah you're wrong.

Was brilliant down here last tour on some bowling friendly pitches where his team mates decided to flunk it. Won a game by himself in fact, then he went to Australia and annihilated them before being sawn off on 192.
    Quote Originally Posted by Athlai View Post
    Jeets doesn't really deserve to be bowling.
    Quote Originally Posted by Athlai View Post
    Well yeah Tendy is probably better than Bradman, but Bradman was 70 years ago, if he grew up in the modern era he'd still easily be the best. Though he wasn't, can understand the argument for Tendy even though I don't agree.
    Proudly supporting Central Districts
    RIP Craig Walsh

I know this is pretty left-field but I've never enjoyed watching Laxman, KP, Lara and Sehwag bat from an aesthetic POV. Too much of a, I dunno, 'human' touch in the way they play their strokes.

Dravid, Sanga and ABdv are/were probably my favourite three players to watch.
    Last edited by Teja.; 10-07-2012 at 02:21 AM.
    Isnít it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe that there are fairies at the bottom of it too? Ė Douglas Adams

Quote Originally Posted by GeraintIsMyHero View Post
    The reason people don't cheer for India is nothing to do with them being number one

It's because Teja is a ****, FTR

U19 Debutant
    Quote Originally Posted by Briony View Post
    But last summer he was clueless until Boucher's fumbling behind the stumps stopped him failing in almost every innings.

He's an elegant, stylish batsman but whenever I've seen him on difficult pitches he's failed. His average is great but batsmen with that high an average should be highly competent in all conditions unless it obscures his true worth because of weight of runs in more benign conditions. Even in Australia, his best performance was that near double ton robbed only by Rudi's incompetence but it was on a flatter than flat pitch in Hobart.
    I've noticed is that Sanga has a habit of scoring tough runs in difficult conditions and on tracks giving some assistance to the bowlers. Look how often he has made runs both home and away when other class batsmen on either side have failed. One thing I'm pretty certain he's not is a FTB.
    "In 2009 he lost his old, faded India cap, when it was stolen from a ground. He was very, very upset about it. It was dear to him and he was extremely proud to wear it."

Vijeeta Dravid on her husband Rahul, March 2012

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Top_Cat's Avatar
    Among the top 7 or 8 of his era but that's as far as I'd go.
    The Colourphonics

Bandcamp
    Twitderp

Quote Originally Posted by kyear2 View Post
    Behind Ponting and Dravid for sure, and Kallis the All Rounder is also ahead of him, plus there is no comparrison between the home pitches of S.A and S.L. Ponting just isn't that far behind Lara and Sachin and how do you go against the Wall.
    Highly doubt it. Sangakkara is a keeper too. On par with Kallis with usefulness to a team, if not better.
    Diuretics are used to look good at TV shows

I played for 20 years in the Lankan team, I did not have any problems as a Tamil - Muralidaran

Quote Originally Posted by kyear2 View Post
    All three are better. But he's in their bracket. Lara and SRT are ahead of Ponting by quite some way - he was level with them but didn't sustain it. Basically Ponting had one of the best golden periods going - 2002-2007 where he averaged well into the 60s. Before and after - very good with large bouts of mediocrity.

Quote Originally Posted by Flem274* View Post
    Nah you're wrong.

Was brilliant down here last tour on some bowling friendly pitches where his team mates decided to flunk it. Won a game by himself in fact, then he went to Australia and annihilated them before being sawn off on 192.
    Hmmm, I think we're going to have to agree to disagree - because if you think that he's up there with Bradman, Lara, Tendulkar, VRichards, Hobbs, Hutton, Sunny and whoever else then I reckon you're loony.

Lol.

Yea, he just isn't up there.

Quote Originally Posted by Migara View Post
    Highly doubt it. Sangakkara is a keeper too. On par with Kallis with usefulness to a team, if not better.
    But he stopped keeping. So he doesn't have that either. Additionally his batting dropped of when he kept.
    Last edited by kyear2; 10-07-2012 at 10:01 AM.

Page 4 of 20 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread Information