• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The Professional XI

weldone

Hall of Fame Member
A bowling attack of Ambrose, Hadlee, Marshall and Muralitharan would do well - all thoroughly professional and top performers..

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Kallis - end of thread - the ultimate professional cricketer.

Sir Dick Hadlee is up there as well in that respect.
Should have put in another qualification: can't be selfish. Would knock both out at once :p

Yeah Hussey a good shout.

oh and Peter Nevill
Ricky Ponting.
Hussey I would say is a good shout. Ponting - nah. Sachin or Lara wouldn't make it either.

Spark

Global Moderator
Ponting is without doubt the most professional member of this side in terms of working on his game, keeping his fielding standards high despite his age etc etc.

Satguru

Banned
Anil Kumble for me too... ultimate professional... would bowl his heart out no matter what the condition of the pitch and no matter how well he's actually bowling. He may be getting hammered all around the park, but by god if the captain wants him to bowl, hell ****ing bowl 100%, broken jaw or not. Underrated, gritty batsman as well, would fight it out till the very end... Sydney 2008 was probably his finest innings ..WAG!

Rahul Dravid: ATG batsman, kept wickets when the side needed it, captained the side in a difficult period, took the blame for the 2007 WC like a man and resigned... immeasurably sweet guy :wub:

Apart from these two Bangalore boys, Kallis and Gilchrist were the two that came to mind

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Ponting is without doubt the most professional member of this side in terms of working on his game, keeping his fielding standards high despite his age etc etc.
Would fail the "onfield conduct" bit of not being an arsehole. Over a dozen reprimands for his behaviour whilst captaining IIRC.

Think there's a little rose tint to the viewing of dear old Courtney too. Seems a genial giant now, but was a properly nasty bastard as a bowler. Played the Windies' bad cop with the intimidatory stuff. Famously bounced Deadly Dev about a dozen times on the (ha) bounce which, as a tactic, was effectively a punch by proxy as Malcolm wasn't able to play the hook or pull. Devon, Jamaican born, was treated to some rather unsavory sledging about him being the white man's lacky too.

I'd say Gary Kirsten is an obvious shout and the most meticulously professional English cricketer of recent vintage must be The Gaffer himself, Alec Stewart. Reputedly still the fittest member of the squad into his fifth decade.

fredfertang

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
WG Grace.
I think the good doctor's behaviour strayed towards the "overt asshole" too often for him to fit with the criteria set out in the OP but he'd certainly be first pick for a squeaky voices XI, though off hand I can't think of a single teammate for him, 'cept Alan Ball, though he wasn't much of a cricketer I don't suppose

The Sean

Cricketer Of The Year
Any two of Hobbs, Sutcliffe or Hutton at the top of the order.

Lindwall, Davidson, Bedser and Statham all contenders for the bowling attack.