• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Shameful Fielders

Jager

International Debutant
I just witnessed Monty Panesar put down two catches in the space of about five minutes, it was a truly abysmal display of fielding. It makes me wonder, who do you think of when the words "atrocious" and "fielding" are combined? For me, Darren Sammy always strikes me as completely incompetent in the field (Anyone remember Sehwag's 219?)... anyone spring to mind?

EDIT: Any funny memories of crucial misfields or comical mistakes?

Last edited:

smash84

The Tiger King
I just witnessed Monty Panesar put down two catches in the space of about five minutes, it was a truly abysmal display of fielding. It makes me wonder, who do you think of when the words "atrocious" and "fielding" are combined? For me, Darren Sammy always strikes me as completely incompetent in the field (Anyone remember Sehwag's 219?)... anyone spring to mind?

EDIT: Any funny memories of crucial misfields or comical mistakes?
Why are there only 10 players in your favorite XI?

Jager

International Debutant
I count XI... I think. I saw a statistic that according to cricinfo commentary, Kamran Akmal missed a total of 86 chances (combining dropped catches and missed stumping or run out opportunities) during his international career.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
It was more the technique of Monty's, rather than the fact he dropped those catches, that was downright disgraceful.

Come on ****ing learn the basic technique.

smash84

The Tiger King
I count XI... I think. I saw a statistic that according to cricinfo commentary, Kamran Akmal missed a total of 86 chances (combining dropped catches and missed stumping or run out opportunities) during his international career.
now that is bloody disgraceful

Satguru

Banned
Agreed that Michael Vaughan was pretty poor... put down sitters with alarming regularity.

I remember good old Monty dropping an Indian batsman a few years ago in the most hilarious way... ball went miles in the air, and Monty completely missed it in the sun and ended up trying to protect himself from the ball, which landed a good 2-3 feet away... nearly pissed myself laughing at that.:laugh:
Even more hilarious was that just a few balls later he redeemed himself by catching an almost identical chance

A video of that Monty incident would be gold :happy:

Himannv

International Coach
Nuwan Zoysa.

EDIT: Bit of a late edit but thought I'd share it anyway. My funniest memory of Zoysa's fielding was when he actually ran someone out. He was fielding somewhere at third man and got a direct hit on the stumps. He won the MOTM award in that game for bowling well, his impressive tailend batting and fielding well enough to effect that key run out. Everyone kept thinking it was a really good bit of fielding there.

At the post match interview, the interviewer kept asking Zoysa about that run out. His first few attempts to answer the question revolved around the extra work he put in with the fielding coach etc. Finally after fielding too many repeated questions on the subject, the big man just shrugged his shoulders and said "I actually aimed at the keeper but luckily the ball hit the stumps".

Last edited:

ankitj

Hall of Fame Member
Ganguly once dropped two catches at slip to a spinner back to back. Both were sitters and one looked almost like replay of the other. Can't find a video but it was really embarrassing.

benchmark00

Request Your Custom Title Now!
When he debuted, KP had the ball skills of a lesbian. Dropped a thousand in a row. Think it was just one of those things.

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
New Zealand haven't had too many. Richardson was more slow than awful, Martin isn't the greatest but he is safe enough. I did see him once drop a catch in a domestic game when he was eating a banana at fine leg though. Hilarious.

fredfertang

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I remember back in 1983 David Gower was on about 20 - He popped one up high in the air to square leg - Lance Cairns hardly had to move but somehow dropped a catch that my grandmother could have held - Gower then rubbed it in by going on to a ton - a job for robelinda to find :)

Cabinet96

Global Moderator
When he debuted, KP had the ball skills of a lesbian. Dropped a thousand in a row. Think it was just one of those things.
Yeah, was just one of those things. He caught well both before and after that. Twas the 2005 ashes and he dropped 6 out of 6 attempts.