Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: If Sachin misses out on 100 centuries

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by TumTum View Post
    He's got so many holes in his batting resume.
    Cant really think of anyone apart from SRT who's got a more complete resume than him this generation to be honest

International Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Satguru View Post
    Cant really think of anyone apart from SRT who's got a more complete resume than him this generation to be honest
    Ponting and Dravid definitely.

Banned
    Ponting and Dravid definitely.
    Please... Ponting: failed in India time and again when the team needed him, apart from a decent 2008 tour.
    Dravid: Frankly awful record in SA, and has been terrible against the best team of the generation Australia, apart from that one 2004 tour against the worst australian attack in ages.
    Both guns, obviously, but cant really see how you would call their records more complete than Kallis
    Last edited by Satguru; 04-01-2012 at 12:47 AM.

Cricket Web Staff Member Burgey's Avatar
    You think Kallis is a better batsman than Ricky Ponting? Not now, but overall?
    WWCC - Loyaulte Mi Lie
    "People make me happy.. not places.. people"

"When a man is tired of London, he is tired of life." - Samuel Johnson

"Hope is the fuel of progress and fear is the prison in which you put yourself" - Tony Benn

International Regular
    Please... Ponting: failed in India time and again when the team needed him, apart from a decent 2008 tour.
    Dravid: Frankly awful record in SA, and has been terrible against the best team of the generation Australia, apart from that one 2004 tour against the worst australian attack in ages.
    Both guns, obviously, but cant really see how you would call their records more complete than Kallis
    Do some more research mate.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Burgey View Post
    You think Kallis is a better batsman than Ricky Ponting? Not now, but overall?
    Not at all. I consider Kallis the batsman inferior to Lara and Tendulkar by a decent margin and inferior to Ponting by a narrow margin. Im just saying, that when you look at his record statswise, batting and bowling, its easy to see why coming generations will look back at his record in awe and proclaim him the greatest AR ever.
    Its terribly unfair to Kallis though. No matter what he does, no matter how many runs he scores, people still underrate him.

Banned
    Do some more research mate.
    Please enlighten me... how is Kallis' record in your opinion worse than dravid's?

Not at all. I consider Kallis the batsman inferior to Lara and Tendulkar by a decent margin and inferior to Ponting by a narrow margin. Im just saying, that when you look at his record statswise, batting and bowling, its easy to see why coming generations will look back at his record in awe and proclaim him the greatest AR ever.
    Its terribly unfair to Kallis though. No matter what he does, no matter how many runs he scores, people still underrate him.
    Ah I see what you mean.

He's like the Ken Barrington of this generation I suppose.

International Regular
    its easy to see why coming generations will look back at his record in awe and proclaim him the greatest AR ever.

Did you just contradict yourself?

Nothing unfair about it. People judge him by how he's played, not just stats.

Eyes not spreadsheets marc71178's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by silentstriker View Post
    Though tbf, I am kind of hoping he retires at the end of this series without getting a 100.

Because guess what - his last highest score after getting the 99th century is...94. How epic is that? 99 centuries with a 94. And then you retire.
    More symbolic would be 96 though, ending up 4 runs short of the milestone.
    marc71178 - President and founding member of AAAS - we don't only appreciate when he does well, but also when he's not quite so good!

Anyone want to join the Society?

Beware the evils of Kit-Kats - they're immoral apparently.

Banned
    Did you just contradict yourself?

Nothing unfair about it. People judge him by how he's played, not just stats.
    No i didnt, i said people underrate him now, theyll give him his due credit down the line. And whats wrong with how Kallis plays? Dont tell me he's boring or he's ugly to watch, because thats nonsense. Lots of former greats werent entertainers and are still considered legends. Everyone cant be Lara.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Burgey View Post
    Ah I see what you mean.

He's like the Ken Barrington of this generation I suppose.
    Yeah, to an extent, though Ken still doesnt get anywhere near the amount of recognition his record deserves

Yeah, to an extent, though Ken still doesnt get anywhere near the amount of recognition his record deserves
    Indeed

The Wheel is Forever silentstriker's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by G.I.Joe View Post
    AWTA. Kallis is the cricketer of his generation, IMO. I was just pointing out that bagapath is on record stating that Kallis puts him to sleep, and he doesn't seem to use his amazing algebraic skills when comparing him to Sobers.
    I don't think he's boring - I think he's selfish. Awesome cricketer though but wouldn't say 'the' cricketer of his generation.
    Quote Originally Posted by KungFu_Kallis View Post
    Peter Siddle top scores in both innings....... Matthew Wade gets out twice in one ball
    "The future light cone of the next Indian fast bowler is exactly the same as the past light cone of the previous one"
    -My beliefs summarized in words much more eloquent than I could come up with

How the Universe came from nothing

Quote Originally Posted by silentstriker View Post
    I don't think he's boring - I think he's selfish. Awesome cricketer though but wouldn't say 'the' cricketer of his generation.
    Surely he's the no.1 contender. Who do you think would be? I can only assume your thinking McGrath, Warne or Murali considering Kallis has virtually the same sort of batting record as Ponting Lara or Tendulkar (actually a higher average than any of them) along with a mere 271 wickets. For me even if Kallis only had 100 wickets @ 35, he'd still be ahead of any of those three, forget the 271 @ 32.

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread Information