Cricket Player Manager
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Does strikerate matter in judging a test bowler?

State Vice-Captain

Does strikerate matter in judging a test bowler?

I was wondering about this question after looking at Dale Steyn's amazing strikerate compared to his peers and those before him. But then, how useful an indicator is this in measuring a bowler vs. a conventional measure like average? Is the tendency to pick up a wicket quickly more valuable than the cost of your wicket? What do you think?

Assuming average as workload as constants - the better a bowler's strike rate, the more influence he will have over the fortunes of an attack overall. So you want your better bowlers in terms of average to have high economy rates and low strike rates, and your support bowlers to be the opposite.

This is why it's a factor when judging the greats; they were all better than the mean standard of the rest of their attack (freak West Indies lineup possibly withstanding). Third and fourth bowlers in attack, assuming their averages won't change, are better off being economy-based with higher strike rates though as it minimises their effect and allows the better bowlers to count for more.
    ~ Cribbertarian ~

Rejecting 'analysis by checklist' and 'skill absolutism' since Dec '09

Quote Originally Posted by John Singleton
    Recognition of Property Rights in material objects is the recognition of a manís right to exist; his right to pursue his own goals in his own manner at his own discretion with what is rightfully his to command. Just as the Right to Life is the right to the property of oneís own person, so the right to own material products is the right to sustain oneís life and to keep the results of oneís own efforts.

Cricket Web Staff Member Burgey's Avatar
    It's useful, yeah.
    WWCC - Loyaulte Mi Lie
    "People make me happy.. not places.. people"
    "When a man is tired of London, he is tired of life." - Samuel Johnson

"Hope is the fuel of progress and fear is the prison in which you put yourself" - Tony Benn

#408. Sixty three not out forever.

Yes
    "I am very happy and it will allow me to have lot more rice."

Eoin Morgan on being given a rice cooker for being Man of the Match in a Dhaka Premier Division game.

Certainly think average is more important because that's what would affect the score the opposition will get to. SRs are good to look at and go "oh wow" at
    RIP Phil Hughes. Forever 63*

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend smalishah84's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 8ankitj View Post
    Certainly think average is more important because that's what would affect the score the opposition will get to. SRs are good to look at and go "oh wow" at
    i think this is it
    And smalishah's avatar is the most classy one by far Jan certainly echoes the sentiments of CW

Yeah we don't crap in the first world; most of us would actually have no idea what that was emanating from Ajmal's backside. Why isn't it roses and rainbows like what happens here? PEWS's retort to Ganeshran on Daemon's picture depicting Ajmal's excreta

Yes, Assuming averages are around constant (Say an ATG standard), Someone with a superior SR(Say about 10 lower) should be picked.
    Isnít it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe that there are fairies at the bottom of it too? Ė Douglas Adams

Quote Originally Posted by GIMH View Post
    The reason people don't cheer for India is nothing to do with them being number one

It's because Teja is a ****, FTR

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend smalishah84's Avatar
    lol

Eternal Optimist / Cricket Web Staff Member GIMH's Avatar
    A low SR affects the oppo's score as well, though. If you have a bowler with a low strike rate then you're more likely to skittle sides.
    Phillip Hughes 1988-2014

RIP Craigos. A true CW legend. You will be missed.

International Coach flibbertyjibber's Avatar
    Yes and no, if they go at a run a ball but have a low strike rate then they slightly defeat the object.

It's important, but more to do with the kind of intangible qualities in a game. I think it's pretty similar to asking if a batsman's SR is important. Often a batsman with a relatively high SR can help demoralise bowlers and change the momentum of the game more than someone with a lesser SR. Similarly, a bowler with a low SR can also often induce a collapse because of the pressure posed by wickets falling in relatively few balls (i.e. quickly in time).

Overall though, something like SR is going to be far less important in test cricket, where there is minimal time constraints, than the bowling average.

State Captain
    there needs to be a single stat that takes in s/r, e/r avg and opposition to give a meaningful number u can compare to others. s/r by itself is useless
    Member of the bring back Bruce Campbell Campaign.

My counter argument to that would that 100/5 is a dire situation irrespective of whether in happens in 20 overs or 40 overs. While batting however 200/2 in 30 overs means the bowlers are demoralized, fielding is less attacking compared to a situation when you have the same score in 70 overs. That's my feeling on that.

My counter argument to that would that 100/5 is a dire situation irrespective of whether in happens in 20 overs or 40 overs. While batting however 200/2 in 30 overs means the bowlers are demoralized, fielding is less attacking compared to a situation when you have the same score in 70 overs. That's my feeling on that.
    Yeh that's true, but I guess I was saying a situation of being 100/5 is more likely to occur if you have a bowling attack with a low SR bowler than one with high SR bowler. Even if the bowling average is the same, wickets falling for the same amount of runs but in quicker time will create a sense of pressure much more than if they fall more slowly. It's sounds like a kind of paradox if you are comparing two bowlers with the same average, but I think the difference would lie in how it improves the performance of the other bowlers in the team (or, put another way, weakens the performance of the opposition batsmen). Obviously there are other factors that can come into play though. Comparing these things is never simple!
    Last edited by Ruckus; 20-12-2011 at 03:46 AM.

Very handy. Test cricket is about partnerships and breaking them.
    + time's fickle card game ~ with you and i +

forever 63*

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information