• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The batsmen who made batting look the most arduous and difficult

Howe_zat

Audio File
Because the other thread was going that way anyway.

Paul Collingwood comes to mind. Always seemed to give vast amounts of effort, regardless of whether or not that was necessary at the time.

keeper

U19 Vice-Captain
Was it Peter Willey who adopted the ugliest of open stances? Unlikely find a link I'm afraid.

Phillip Hughes ain't pretty.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Really? Don't get that, looks relaxed and serene at best.
Yeah, Dravid oozes class and calm. Obviously puts a premium on his wicket, but I've never seen him look like he's struggling.

Collingwood a very good shout; seemed nigh on shotless when out of touch. Made the crowd feel as if they were intruding on a deeply personal moment of inner torment.

Early days, but Khawaja is in no danger of being mistaken for Lara so far either.

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Justin Langer. Made it look excruciatingly difficult, then succeeded at it anyway.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
Because the other thread was going that way anyway.

Paul Collingwood comes to mind. Always seemed to give vast amounts of effort, regardless of whether or not that was necessary at the time.
It was hard work watching him bat, that's for sure. In any case, I think his rather awkward looking style which made everything appear such hard work was in large down to the fact that he had a really low backlift, which just made every shot look so uncomfortable.

Agent Nationaux

International Coach
Misbah and Azahar Ali from the current Pak squad. You can also add Taufeeq to the list.

Would you say Trott also makes batting look hard despite him being a run machine?

Contra

Cricketer Of The Year
Definitely Dravid, he almost draws you into the match, into the situation he's in, whereas Laxman and to a lesser extent Sachin act oblivious to the situations, or at least that's the impression they try to give off. It's a lot more apparent when Dravid is performing at a level above the others like the just passed England tour also. Really you feel it when he's grinding out an innings of his. Perhaps not the most difficult, but he does look like he puts immense effort into each innings of his.

Last edited:

TumTum

Banned
Hughes makes anything that's straight look really difficult, where most left handers just easily pick up singles and boundaries. But on the other hand he makes scoring in the off side look really easy, almost Sehwag easy.

I don't understand why BoyBrumby mentioned Khawaja. Yes he is scoring really slowly, but that's because he isn't looking to score (for some reason preoccupied with defending atm). For me he makes batting look easy, very elegant.

Dravid when he is struggling, but not when he's playing well. Same for Ponting.

Brathwaite is well on his way on becoming the next Chanderpaul.

Cook makes batting look the hardest.

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Would you say Trott also makes batting look hard despite him being a run machine?
I'd say the opposite. He makes it look like the only two things you need to be able do to be a test batsman are shoulder arms and work the ball off your hips.