• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Pace Bowlers Who Could Perform Better than Ricky Ponting With The Bat

Daemon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
He's had some success in the ODIs, though not much, which suggests he's not gone completely.. He's obviously in poor form/too old atm but I wouldn't say Bresnan's a better batsmen :p

flibbertyjibber

He's had some success in the ODIs, though not much, which suggests he's not gone completely.. He's obviously in poor form/too old atm but I wouldn't say Bresnan's a better batsmen :p
To be fair, he is a better one than all others mentioned in the thread bar Kallis. :laugh:

flibbertyjibber

Still mentioned in this thread.

And Mail took 7/16 or something similar in a first grade match a couple of weeks ago. Counts as a bowler now for sure. :p
I was going on the quick bowlers as per thread title. Silly choices were ignored.

It sad really that a thread like this was even started for a great player like Ponting, and that is what he has been a GREAT player. For many the best bat of the awesome Aussie side that dominated and he lead from the front with his bat even if he annoyed with some of his ranting/lack of captaincy nous.

centurymaker

Cricketer Of The Year
Crazy to see his average go to 52-53...it was pushing 60 for a long long time there.
yea when there's guys like sameeraweera who avg 54?

and guys like gambhir, cook, bell, smith, kp, younis khan, mahela who avg 50 ....

hope his stubborness doesn't lead to him losing another couple of points..i.e he should retire if things don't improve for him over the next month.

he'd be a forgotton hero if he finished up with a avg of like 50/51

Last edited:

flibbertyjibber

and guys like gambhir, cook, bell, smith, kp, younis khan, mahela who avg 50 ....

hope his stubborness doesn't lead to him losing another couple of points..i.e he should retire if things don't improve for him over the next month.

he'd be a forgetton hero if he finished up with a avg of like 50/51
Yeah, and future generations won't believe us when we go on about how good he actually was when so many from the same era will average the same or more.

Burgey

It's really good though, cos it means in 20 years time there'll be idiot savant kids on the web saying "Ponting - why do people rate him? Why don't they think Samaraweera or Cook are better?" and the pack of arseholes on here now who say the same thing about Viv will understand how we all feel now.

miscer

U19 Cricketer
It's really good though, cos it means in 20 years time there'll be idiot savant kids on the web saying "Ponting - why do people rate him? Why don't they think Samaraweera or Cook are better?" and the pack of arseholes on here now who say the same thing about Viv will understand how we all feel now.
hahha very true, very true!!

flibbertyjibber

Yeah, Cook may well end up scoring more runs and centuries than Ponting but unless he carries on his last 12 months of ridiculous batting for about another 4 years then he will clearly always be ranked a long way behind Ponting. If he does do it he may bore many non England fans to death in the process. :laugh:

NasserFan207

International Vice-Captain
Yep, I eagerly await the Samaraweera > Ponting thread in 2019.

Burgey

Yeah, Cook may well end up scoring more runs and centuries than Ponting but unless he carries on his last 12 months of ridiculous batting for about another 4 years then he will clearly always be ranked a long way behind Ponting. If he does do it he may bore many non England fans to death in the process. :laugh:
I think you're missing the point.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Yeah, and future generations won't believe us when we go on about how good he actually was when so many from the same era will average the same or more.
Regardless of what he ends up with, Ponting has been clearly the best batsman of this past decade, and that's something he will always have. Same as Gilchrist - despite ending up with an average below 50 overall, it doesn't really take away from the fact that most of us (or at least the largest minority of us) would have him in our all time XI.

People's averages dropping right towards the end is not really new, and most of us do expect that people who average 60 in their pomp won't end with such an average. I don't think many people even on CW go by only averages.

To tell you the truth, I see a lot more of that on TV - I've seen multiple commentators during Test matches mention that X has a higher average than Y during period A->B, thereby making X the better player. It's the sort of simplistic analysis we would laugh at (and we do - everytime) if someone posted it on CW.

keeper

U19 Vice-Captain
When to bow out is the great question isn't it?

Ponting has gone from great player in a great team to being the sole survivor in a declining team. Throw in the loss of the captaincy and the Ashes defeats and it all starts to look positively Shakesperean.

I know he's let himself down on occasion and his demeanour is easy to rip the piss out of. End of the day though, I just don't get the scorn. He's been magnificent so often even if I was rarely in a position to appreciate his efforts at the time.

But I'm struggling to remember a great player with such a drawn-out denouement. If he comes through this it will be a feat of staggering proportions. If he doesn't it will end up like watching a horse running the Grand National years after it should have been shot.

What's driving him?

Cevno

Hall of Fame Member

This is so much reminds me of Dravid until recently and the same was said in the threads about him. Sachin turned around his slump quicker and just before the same was about to start.

Is a tough decision to make for the selectors and even for him.

Last edited:

Furball

Evil Scotsman
In this comparison, if Ponting is Viv, who is Kallis?